Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230077 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24810 on: October 30, 2018, 09:10:35 am »

claiming he will end automatic citizenship for people born on US soil

Um.. what?  so all people born on US soil will have to apply for citizenship? All US babies will be non-citizens? If nothing else, the admin costs will be bonkers (job creation scheme, eh?)

Presumably children born to full US citizens will still earn automatic citizenship (which is how I got natural US citizenship, despite being born in a different country), but new babies born on US soil to non-citizen parents will no longer get automatic citizenship.

This is Trump though.  Presume nothing.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24811 on: October 30, 2018, 09:10:51 am »

Um.. what?  so all people born on US soil will have to apply for citizenship? All US babies will be non-citizens? If nothing else, the admin costs will be bonkers (job creation scheme, eh?)
It means US citizenship will be given only to those through 1. Naturalisation by birth (parent(s) are US citizens). 2. Application (self explanatory). 3 A few special cases (like foreigners being given US citizenship for providing vital services to American units, like a translator for US forces for example).

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24812 on: October 30, 2018, 09:20:09 am »

It's also one of the more solid parts of the constitution.

A little difficult to get that one through.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24813 on: October 30, 2018, 09:34:41 am »

The constitution is only useful to Trump as long as it's useful (e.g. second amendment), and he'd gladly use it for kindling if he thought it would fire up his base.  I'm not convinced anyone would try to impeach him over an executive order that's blatantly unconstitutional, nor would I anticipate much pushback from conservatives if he even called for a new amendment to change that part of the constitution.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24814 on: October 30, 2018, 09:40:49 am »

Apparently one of Trump's own appointed judges said that this won't work.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24815 on: October 30, 2018, 09:43:43 am »

So.. Trumps brain has shit itself today, claiming he will end automatic citizenship for people born on US soil with an executive order, complaining about "bad people" forming "an invasion", and a few more, like how Florida gubernatorial candidates "a thief."

I would make popcorn if this wasn't some heavy shit.

He can't, and everyone (except maybe trump himself) knows he can't. This is just a distraction from the whole "right wing bomber" then "right wing shooter the next day" news, and as an added bonus a way to whip his base up right before the midterms.

It's working too, now everyone is talking about this instead of the actual terrorist attacks we just had and the republican party will (once again) be held completely unaccountable for the rhetoric of hate spewing out of it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24816 on: October 30, 2018, 09:45:49 am »

And there's not even the numbers to pull off an amendment if they tried. 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of states to ratify they do not have.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24817 on: October 30, 2018, 10:13:09 am »

It means US citizenship will be given only to those through 1. Naturalisation by birth (parent(s) are US citizens). 2. Application (self explanatory). 3 A few special cases (like foreigners being given US citizenship for providing vital services to American units, like a translator for US forces for example).
#3 has dropped like a rock, as have even the attempts to get those folks to safety. Far too many stories of Iraqi and Afghan translators being killed while waiting for years to get visa approval to emigrate to the US (and to be fair, we're talking Obama administration there, not just Trump).

Which is surely not going unnoticed. Next foreign adventure we get ourselves into, we're likely going to have a hell of a time finding locals willing to risk life and limb on our behalf.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24818 on: October 30, 2018, 10:22:49 am »

You also need Tribunes whose veto only lasts for as long as they are physically present in the premises.
This would single-handedly eliminate Trump's power. Dude is literally never working. Three hours on a good day.

That said, we do pretty much have a system similar to that with the filibuster (the real one, not the shitty administrative one). Stand and deliver!
If people start shooting up polling centers on election day then I'm leaving the country and you can enjoy your civil war.
At least in my state, polling centers have police at every location (actually, it's that's literally built into the system: we can't open the place up unless the police deliver the keys and other stuff to us, so every location has a police officer or two). And unlike the election workers, police get to work in shifts, so they aren't completely exhausted.

It's already necessary to enforce those "100 feet, no politicking" laws (and believe you me, people stand at the 100 feet mark on the dot), and you never know when someone will walk in and start harassing voters or election workers, so even a single policeman (it was a woman last time, for what it's worth) is a worthy investment. Unlike at, say, a public place of worship which meets every week.

Which is surely not going unnoticed. Next foreign adventure we get ourselves into, we're likely going to have a hell of a time finding locals willing to risk life and limb on our behalf.
You know, this is what people meant in Latinthread about there being smarter and dumber ways of going about war.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24819 on: October 30, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »

You know, this is what people meant in Latinthread about there being smarter and dumber ways of going about war.
'Gentemen, now that we have run out of money we have to think.' - Winston Churchill

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24820 on: October 30, 2018, 12:15:51 pm »

'Gentemen, now that we have run out of money we have to think.' - Winston Churchill
Pfft...we never run out of money, we just make more.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #24821 on: October 30, 2018, 01:58:25 pm »

I don't know how that works as a distraction, though. Doubling down on racist, far-right screeching only reaffirms his ties to the bomber and the various gunmen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24822 on: October 30, 2018, 02:13:53 pm »

At least people are mostly focusing on him trying to kick Mexican babies out of the country now instead of him being associated with bombers and shooters.  The outrage fatigue builds up and some people will forget it in favor of the newest thing that comes out of his mouth.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #24823 on: October 30, 2018, 02:15:14 pm »

I disagree. This rapid-fire embracing of alt-right white nationalism makes his overall message clear.

Trump is trying to redefine what it means to be an American. He's clearly trying to create a legal distinction between immigrants and "native" citizens, which is as absurd as it is terrifying.

The white nationalist movement must be destroyed in the US and burned out to the root.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24824 on: October 30, 2018, 02:26:02 pm »

I don't disagree on that last point.

To be honest, I'm not sure that distractions matter any more.  I'm sure that moderates exist somewhere, but from where I sit I don't see them.  I only see people who think Trump is the second coming of Jesus, and a small minority who think he's Satan incarnate.  To any of these people, the distractions don't matter.  If Trump fully embraced white nationalism, more than he already has anyway, I don't think all that many people would change their opinion of him.

I'm a defeatist person by nature, but the general resurgence of (sometimes extremist) right-wing ideology across the world has me feeling like any attempt to stop it is going to be fruitless.  I hope that it will flame out and that the pendulum will swing back to the left, but I don't really see any reason to believe that it will right now.

I voted, which is all I can do.  The rest is for me to sit back, watch and thank the emotionless void of the universe that I wasn't born as one of the Designated Victims of the current political landscape.
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 3567