Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1652 1653 [1654] 1655 1656 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230038 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24795 on: October 29, 2018, 07:58:16 pm »

Do not submerge American Politics in water. Consult your instructional manual for safe cleaning procedures. Do not use gun to perform maintenance on American Politics.
help I overclocked my American Politics but now the fan won't stop spinning, it sounds like a fucking jet engine and the UI keeps telling me shit is about to hit the fan

*EDIT
Spoiler: unrelated but funny (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:16:20 pm by Loud Whispers »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24796 on: October 29, 2018, 08:22:40 pm »

So in case it's not yet clear, this is a fucking war, anybody who moderate-defaults to the Republican line was the enemy of any free people long before they decided that justice was so inconvenient they needed to support fascists, and the oh-so-enlightened center is not your friend or mine.

If there's one good thing about Trump, it's the effect he's had on the armchair commentariat who endlessly insist that they're just not willing to compromise their principles far enough to actually work with anyone to achieve anything but are really politically engaged, honest. "I refuse to pretend either side is right" is just the flipside of "both sides have very fine people" now, and it's a handy way to recognize who's essentially surrendered any agency in the events to come.

EDIT: just to be clear, there's a difference between people who reluctantly go with the side they dislike less and the folks who just endlessly find excuses to do nothing. The latter are the ones I'm calling irrelevant.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:35:35 pm by Trekkin »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24797 on: October 29, 2018, 09:11:10 pm »

Looking into America's past history of interventionism, I found this fucking hilarious gem from 2007, where the metaphor for throwing money at Iraq was rather literal, with America shipping 363 tons of US dollars ($12Bn) and not knowing what happened to it. I find it equally hilarious and horrifying that the USA can lose a sum of cash equal to the entire defence budget of Canada and forget about it

Same story with just losing track of billions of dollars worth of weapon systems and ammunition
Any one of these events would have destroyed the governments of any other country in the world, yet for the USA these events can go unnoticed because they pale in comparison to the grand scale of the entire defence budget

At least it decisively settles the question of whether the USA could regime change Brazil without fucking all of Brazil up. The answer is no

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24798 on: October 29, 2018, 09:23:13 pm »

But on the bright side, if the US did invade to implement regime change, it'd totally justify them voting for a nationalistic, jingoistic strongman/goon: to build up a paramilitary force capable of protecting them from the US by making the occupation too expensive to sustain.  Ah, or is that not the intent?  Regime change through systematic destruction: just don't ask what we're changing the regimes into.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:25:19 pm by Culise »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #24799 on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:14 pm »

I can't wait for someone to say "the sides are the same!" and compare petty vandalism to mass terror bombings, armed assaults of temple grounds, and nationwide hate crimes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24800 on: October 29, 2018, 11:37:50 pm »

I can't wait for someone to say "the sides are the same!" and compare petty vandalism to mass terror bombings, armed assaults of temple grounds, and nationwide hate crimes.

Or to complain that the fact that they will be roundly mocked for doing so means free speech and civil discourse are dead forever and they can no longer lavish the world with their valuable insights.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24801 on: October 30, 2018, 06:38:33 am »

Ya'll a bunch of crazies.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24802 on: October 30, 2018, 08:07:31 am »

So.. Trumps brain has shit itself today, claiming he will end automatic citizenship for people born on US soil with an executive order, complaining about "bad people" forming "an invasion", and a few more, like how Florida gubernatorial candidates "a thief."

I would make popcorn if this wasn't some heavy shit.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24803 on: October 30, 2018, 08:10:18 am »

I hope he tries (though he almost certainly won't). That would probably be pretty strong grounds for an attempt at removing him, after all.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24804 on: October 30, 2018, 08:10:38 am »

You know, maybe we don't even need a president anymore. We restructure the government with no single person holding so much power. Having one clearly just doesn't work out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24805 on: October 30, 2018, 08:17:01 am »

You know, maybe we don't even need a president anymore. We restructure the government with no single person holding so much power. Having one clearly just doesn't work out.
Go for the ancient Roman method: two kings at once!

Get twice as much nothing done in the same amount of time!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24806 on: October 30, 2018, 08:53:26 am »

Go for the ancient Roman method: two kings at once!

Get twice as much nothing done in the same amount of time!
You also need Tribunes whose veto only lasts for as long as they are physically present in the premises.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24807 on: October 30, 2018, 09:02:22 am »

What is long divided will surely unite, what is long united will surely divide

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24808 on: October 30, 2018, 09:03:43 am »

claiming he will end automatic citizenship for people born on US soil

Um.. what?  so all people born on US soil will have to apply for citizenship? All US babies will be non-citizens? If nothing else, the admin costs will be bonkers (job creation scheme, eh?)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24809 on: October 30, 2018, 09:07:22 am »

claiming he will end automatic citizenship for people born on US soil

Um.. what?  so all people born on US soil will have to apply for citizenship? All US babies will be non-citizens? If nothing else, the admin costs will be bonkers (job creation scheme, eh?)

Presumably children born to full US citizens will still earn automatic citizenship (which is how I got natural US citizenship, despite being born in a different country), but new babies born on US soil to non-citizen parents will no longer get automatic citizenship.
Pages: 1 ... 1652 1653 [1654] 1655 1656 ... 3567