Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1610 1611 [1612] 1613 1614 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4240770 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24165 on: October 12, 2018, 11:59:47 am »

Here's a proposition: identity politics = bad. No matter what type.
Y/N?
If there's anything the last 2 years has taught me, racism/sexism/homophobia ARE identity politics, its just that they're older so people are used to them.  Not talking about things doesn't make them go away.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #24166 on: October 12, 2018, 12:06:34 pm »

Here's a proposition: identity politics = bad. No matter what type.
Y/N?

Not especially. Ethnicities are made of people who travel, and who come in contact with each other. Ignoring differences in cultures can lead to people not understanding phenomenons like tribalism manifesting into stuff like cultural ghettoisation. It shouldn't be a taboo topic, but people should shed the ideology and work with the fact rather than trying to twist them to fit a preconceived worldview.
Yeah culture clash. No ethno states are the answer to absolutely nothing. Yes diversity is overall a good thing because the more diverse we are, the more synergies are possible. No throwing different people with different views of the world in the box and expecting them to mix harmoniously without any public effort is bound to fail. IMHO.

Gender identity is something completely different. Men and women has always been together, even before we have been humans. It's not like we discover we exist and have to learn to cohabitate, we have been doing that since our aquatic ancestry. With that said, gender dynamics are affected by the transformation of our environment, and understanding how it works can help us evolve as a specy.

I am always interested in *intelligent and sensible* discourse on gender and race. I know some are possible, I've heard some, but between the alt right "ethno state solution" and the third wavers "let's use a point system to see who is the most oppressed" crying at the top of their lungs until we can only hear mass hysteria, sensible adress to those topics are hard to come by.

Edit : And yeah I don't blame people wanting to stay away from that poisoned well alltogether
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:54:04 pm by Cathar »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24167 on: October 12, 2018, 12:59:48 pm »

Huh.  I'm torn between wanting to respect what the descendants polled for, and not wanting to call the people of this continent Indians.

But I still get annoyed at calling the results of Spanish... colonization... "Latin"as so I'm probably in the minority.

Personally I think Native Americans is especially descriptive, and neutral.  And I'd much rather respect any individual's tribal identity, given the opportunity.

Latin is fine for me. What really jimmies my rustles are "hispanic".
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24168 on: October 12, 2018, 01:07:53 pm »

Yeah I sort of agree with Cathar, but the problem is that it identity politics are exploitable. Like, really exploitable.

I feel like the concept has been redefined during the more recent elections. Identity politics is supposed to be a tendency for a person of specific background to vote a certain way, which is perfectly understandable. Now the term is often used to describe how a person is socially expected to build their personal identity around a political idea or party, and if they don't make that the basis of their self then they deserve punishment.

I think our beliefs should shape our political affiliation and voting patterns, not the other way around.

But most importantly: This conversation about ethnic pseudo-insults is the funniest thing I've read all week. Also, I'll bite, I am genuinely interested as to why Hispanic is incorrect, doesn't it just refer to "descendants of Spanish-speaking folks".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24169 on: October 12, 2018, 01:22:08 pm »

Any kind of political affiliation is exploitable and harmful, once people put that affiliation above their character & beliefs. 

But there is value in a candidate who can say 'I know what you've gone through because I'm like you went through the same things'.   It's really sad how that's been twisted into the current circular firing squad locked in echo chambers.

We've had amazingly controversial times before though. It can't last forever.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24170 on: October 12, 2018, 01:27:24 pm »

Any kind of political affiliation is exploitable and harmful, once people put that affiliation above their character & beliefs. 

But there is value in a candidate who can say 'I know what you've gone through because I'm like you went through the same things'.   It's really sad how that's been twisted into the current circular firing squad locked in echo chambers.

We've had amazingly controversial times before though. It can't last forever.

Agreed, on all points.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24171 on: October 12, 2018, 06:48:04 pm »

But most importantly: This conversation about ethnic pseudo-insults is the funniest thing I've read all week. Also, I'll bite, I am genuinely interested as to why Hispanic is incorrect, doesn't it just refer to "descendants of Spanish-speaking folks".

Well yes, but Hispania is the peninsula the Spaniards derive their name from. It's on the other side of the world! It makes no sense!
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24172 on: October 12, 2018, 07:21:55 pm »

Well yes, but Hispania is the peninsula the Spaniards derive their name from. It's on the other side of the world! It makes no sense!

Oh, gotcha! So it's an illogical thing and not an insensitive thing. That makes sense.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24173 on: October 12, 2018, 07:56:29 pm »

I guess I'm going to clarify further.
 Every time I see the question, "How many genders are there?" I pack up and run because it never seems to end with anyone acknowledging that good points were made and their eyes were opened. You get a bunch of right wing "2"s and a bunch of left wing other answers and then a shitpile of useless bickering.

I'm not endorsing or arguing either or. I'm pointing out that it's a toxic conversation I don't want to be part of. That was all.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24174 on: October 12, 2018, 07:58:44 pm »

Every time I see the question, "How many genders are there?" I pack up and run because it never seems to end with anyone acknowledging that good points were made and their eyes were opened. You get a bunch of right wing "2"s and a bunch of left wing other answers and then a shitpile of useless bickering.

I'm not endorsing or arguing either or. I'm pointing out that it's a toxic conversation I don't want to be part of. That was all.
That is because such things are usually asked in order to not get a nuanced answer but to serve an agenda.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24175 on: October 12, 2018, 08:02:31 pm »

The answer is 57,000*......

... for fungi.

*Somewhere around there...

In all seriousness, I don't think you can put a number on gender (identity), it seems more like a spectrum than anything. Even 'spectrum' might be oversimplifying it though.

Still, I get your point on how identity politics can be toxic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24176 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:05 pm »

tbh there is one human gender the human bean

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24177 on: October 12, 2018, 08:11:35 pm »

But what kind of bean? There are only so many beans. I have faith that the Ameripol thread can get into a fight about defining the legume gender spectrum.

EDIT: Can we at least agree that Lima Beans are right out?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:13:29 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #24178 on: October 12, 2018, 08:11:58 pm »

#notallbeans

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:15:22 pm by Cathar »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24179 on: October 12, 2018, 10:43:45 pm »

I think part of the issue is people confusing the term “gender” with the term “sex”.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1610 1611 [1612] 1613 1614 ... 3567