Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1602 1603 [1604] 1605 1606 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231635 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24045 on: October 08, 2018, 07:52:36 pm »

I'm not sure I've ever been exposed to that argument.  A quick timeline of my reaction.

"Hmm... that's sound logic.  I don't have such a problem with this anymore.

But... wouldn't it be nice if that same logic were applied to other demographic spectrums like race and social class, to prevent discriminatory taxes in those spheres.

Except... then taxes would have to cease to be a thing entirely.

So really... this is still an argument for religion getting special treatment.  It could be applied to all forms of taxation, but is only applied to religion.  Because apparently freedom of religious choice is seen as more sacrosanct than ex. the freedom not to be punished for being poor."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24046 on: October 08, 2018, 08:08:37 pm »

I think it's the other way around smjames, it could be argued that religious exemptions to tax laws are a breach of the First Amendment. There's no need for a "church tax", since that's a red herring. Just make them do their taxes like any other organization.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press

This section doesn't justify tax-exemptions for churches any more than it justifies tax-exemptions for newspapers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24047 on: October 08, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »

Did we ever have church tax laws in the US? Other than the pre-Revolutionary War period. Gonna try and look it up.

Doesn't appear that we ever did post Revolutionary War, and it's even reinforced by a Supreme Court decision almost a century ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax#United_States https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=DgC8W7T2C8qY0gLpo7iQBg&q=church+tax+laws+in+the+united+states&btnK=Google+Search&oq=church+tax+laws+in+the+united+states&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30.1540.9676..9864...0.0..0.118.3314.27j11....2..0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i131j0i3j0i22i30.BWQ2bwi2B8E

Congress did accidentially put taxes on churches earlier this year due to some language around non-profit orgs, but that was a symptom of the way they rushed the proccess rather than any actual desire to tax churches.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:19:21 pm by smjjames »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24048 on: October 08, 2018, 08:22:30 pm »

Perhaps it's because the press is an established and clear single concept, whereas "what constitutes religion" is a question that would infringe upon multiple religions if the government even so much as answered it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24049 on: October 08, 2018, 08:31:27 pm »

Not to mention running smack into the whole concept of separation of church and state as taxes could be seen as an endorsement of a particular religion. And as lord shonus said, it's easy enough to create some arbitrary tax which doesn't directly target religion, but affects it in some way.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24050 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:13 pm »

Most people give to charitable causes because they want to give to the cause, not to save cash.  You have to be in some pretty contrived situations to come out cash-positive by donating compared to just keeping it and paying taxes.

And because of the way the federal budgets work (ha!), even "wasteful" religious organizations still often spend more per donation dollar on true social programs that the federal government would spend per tax dollar.

I'd argue we'd actually have a better effect on society if you eliminated the tax exemption on profits less than $500k on sale of a home. Slowing down real estate price hikes and increasing home affordability would be a huge social benefit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24051 on: October 08, 2018, 08:51:49 pm »

Yeah, someone was trying to tell me that charitable donations by businessmen were a tax-scam, and I tried to point out that you only get your *taxable income* reduced by the size of the donation, not your actual tax bill. Doing donations leave you with less money, but you can claim that your income was lower as a result, which is perfectly fair.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24052 on: October 08, 2018, 08:52:37 pm »

... I'm going to run for president when I turn 35. I mean, Trump got elected. I have a decent chance of being president if I market myself on social media virally.
I've had that thought (I'm 42, almost 43) and then I realize I would be the worst possible choice for President. Like, I wouldn't even vote for myself.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24053 on: October 08, 2018, 08:54:41 pm »

We all know who's next up:

http://fortune.com/2018/09/01/kanye-west-president-2024/

gotta love Kanye's statement that being slaves was a choice.

In the hour-long interview, West also speaks about the opioid crisis, the fashion industry, artificial intelligence, and his business endeavors.

Man I hate Kanye and don't have a second to waste on him, but goddamn am I tempted to hear his take on artificial intelligence.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:57:07 pm by Reelya »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24054 on: October 08, 2018, 09:04:00 pm »

Man I hate Kanye and don't have a second to waste on him, but goddamn am I tempted to hear his take on artificial intelligence.

Maybe he supports the development of artificial intelligence because he's lacking a natural one?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #24056 on: October 09, 2018, 04:02:49 am »

In a statement, a U.S. State Department official expressed appreciation for all the work that went into the report but noted that “governments do not formally endorse specific findings presented by the authors.”

Sorry kids, I know you really wanted a world to grow up on, but we just can't be bothered to give any fucks right now.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24057 on: October 09, 2018, 04:11:48 am »

Did we not pass the point of no return a while back?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24058 on: October 09, 2018, 05:46:39 am »

Did we not pass the point of no return a while back?

Various levels of no-return. Like if you get your arm cut off that's one point of no return, but getting a leg cut off is a worse one.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24059 on: October 09, 2018, 06:14:39 am »

In a statement, a U.S. State Department official expressed appreciation for all the work that went into the report but noted that “governments do not formally endorse specific findings presented by the authors.”

Sorry kids, I know you really wanted a world to grow up on, but we just can't be bothered to give any fucks right now.

I can't wait until Florida and most of the Baby Boomers in their retirement villages are being flooded by the ocean and I can start bitterly and grimly telling people, "They told you. You were warned."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1602 1603 [1604] 1605 1606 ... 3567