Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1585 1586 [1587] 1588 1589 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241574 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23790 on: October 02, 2018, 01:40:00 am »

Let's also keep in mind that the Democrats don't have a lot to gain by trying to preserve convention. At this point it's like bringing out the rulebook while playing chess against a pigeon.

As long as this batch of Republicans remain in power (and the old school isn't coming back this century, that's for sure), convention means nothing. And when the Democrats get in power again, what use does convention serve?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23791 on: October 02, 2018, 01:41:03 am »

If the thought of "division on party lines, and party lines only" disturbs you, then you need to be the change you want to see in the world, and need to convince others to join you. (this is not aimed explicitly at you though Misko.)

By that, I mean you need to stop looking at rank and file republicans or rank and file democrats, and seeing only the media presented cliches of them, and need to contemplate the reasons behind the ideas they hold.

This whole "But---- THEM!! *THEY* support X! Our nation would be GREAT if it werent for THEM and their supporting X!!" chicanery needs to stop.  Divisive politics is how you get facism.

Look, I get that politics is about power, first and foremost.  To that end, the fascist easy-button is very hard to resist as far as politicians go.  However, pressing it is bad, M'kay?  Inventing boogey men so that you can try to dictate history and reality to suit a narrative that empowers is wrong.  It always has been, and always will be.

This is one of the reasons I really hate career politicians.  (like, REALLY hate them. Politics should be a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.)  As long as we keep making it desirable to present boogey men, point fingers, and make wild accusations to whip up angry mobs, we are not working in the interests of the nation we are a part of-- and we should not accept such behavior from our leaders.

At all.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23792 on: October 02, 2018, 05:01:08 am »

Facism: The exertion of power by pretty people over their ugly inferiors.

I forgot the other thing I was gonna bring up.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23793 on: October 02, 2018, 05:18:54 am »

No--

Simultaneously:

A system of government in which a supreme power controls both regulation and all economic/social activity. (Synthesis of Government and Corporate powers)

A method of governance in which a supreme power accompishes the former, though the use of a fictional "ideal narrative" involving an equally fictional version of events that invents a supreme evil that must be vanquished at all costs.

The vox article linked covers this latter aspect.  The former is well studied, and should be well known here.

In the context of historic Nazi propaganda, the mythical "Aryan Master Race" was the "ideal narrative" that was, as stated, mythical and totally fictional.  The equally fictional evil incarnate, was the systemic perversion caused by jewish impurities.  This was the MEANS by which the former definition--- a synthesis of government and corporate powers--- came to be established.

Why is this relevant?

On the right, you have the MAGA morons.  'Nuff said.

On the left, you have "--But PENCE! --EVIL, GAY HATING PENCE!" and the whole "Identity Politics" clusterfuck, each vying for what should be the fictional "ideal", each with their own bogeymen. ("Patriarchy", et al.)

Fascism is what happens to either side, when they resort to extreme isolationism and divisiveness of their political rhetoric, and they attempt to seize power. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:27:36 am by wierd »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23794 on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:23 am »

Identity politics has a lot of problems, including the abuse of bogeymen as an excuse for bad behaviors.  But those bogeyman aren't exactly constructed from a fictional narrative, either.  I get really tired of the left's passion for wanting to end the criminalization of certain people's existence being equated with the right's passion for criminalizing the existence of others.  It's fine to point out that both sides have problems.  But some care should be taken to make sure that, say, a Unite the Right type can't feel vindicated when their ilk plows into a crowd with a car, and the follow up talk they're exposed to is all "violence on both sides".  If you want to mitigate extremist division, you have to genuinely dole out reward/punishment in measure to good/bad behaviors.  Else there's no reason for anyone to care about rising above the mess, if they're going to get lumped in with literal murder for getting overzealous with labels and such.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23795 on: October 02, 2018, 05:55:42 am »

True enough, but it is just as wrong to fictitiously state that the left's view is perfect roses and sunshine, and totally grounded in abject reality. (Reelya has been quite good at pointing out the outright fantastical nature of many modern feminist scholarly articles, for instance.) Or that they are any less dangerous than the more visibly dangerous extreme right.

Again, the message was to be the change you want to see in the world;  If you want to see more inclusive politics, you have to be more inclusive in your politics.

I just lamplit why this was, in pretty grisly terms.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23796 on: October 02, 2018, 06:33:40 am »

"Getting over zealous with labels" is kind of a straw man. We're talking more Antifa here, not PC language. Some of that language policing is to be mocked, but it's not what people are saying is comparable to violent neo-Nazi actions.

Spoiler: Antifa (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PC stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:26:21 am by Reelya »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23797 on: October 02, 2018, 06:55:06 am »

No--

Simultaneously:

A system of government in which a supreme power controls both regulation and all economic/social activity. (Synthesis of Government and Corporate powers)

A method of governance in which a supreme power accompishes the former, though the use of a fictional "ideal narrative" involving an equally fictional version of events that invents a supreme evil that must be vanquished at all costs.

(...)

Fascism is what happens to either side, when they resort to extreme isolationism and divisiveness of their political rhetoric, and they attempt to seize power.
This is both an extreme oversimplification and wholly incorrect. What you describe as Fascism is closer to a misguided definition of totalitarianism (as the Fascists have shown, you do not need to strictly control every aspect of the economy to have a totalitarian state), and the definition of fascism as an "either side" ideology is also incorrect, as that only describes dogma and authoritarianism. Effectively, it's lowering a calamitous ideology into a buzzword.

What you have said about Fascist economics is, in fact, a misconception from a quote that was never actually said ("Fascism is more adequately described as a merger of corporate power and the state") and is a misunderstanding of Fascist theory and practice all together. Fascism never directly professed a merger of corporate power and the state, but rather a merger of classes via class collaborationist organizations (business cartels and syndicates, state controlled trade unions, etc) under a totalitarian state.

In practice, however, the "class collaborationism" was wholly tilted to the rich industrialists and factory owners and the Fascists embarked on massive privatization and deregulation campaigns, effectively allowing them to have free reign. The very opposite of the "merger of corporate power and the state".

Additionally, Fascism is inherently ultraconservative and ultranationalist. It is in their very philosophy that that which does not coincide with the traditions (the traditions they want to uphold, at least) of the nation should be slaughtered. This was pushed to its logical extreme by Mussolini, who banned "unitalian" words and letters, replacing some of the Italian language with literal gibberish. This is one of the things that makes Fascism Fascism, not being mean to other people.

Likewise, Fascism is social-darwinistic by philosophy. Those deemed "weak", be it by birth, race, socioeconomic status, or nation, do not deserve to live freely, and should only live to serve a greater power, if not just outright be slaughtered. This is represented in the mass euthenasia programs, the Fascist view of war and imperialism, and the Nazis treatment of the homeless, impoverished and jobless, who were all deemed to be work-shy subhumans by genetics and given black triangles in the camps.

The two things outlined above place Fascism on the furthest echelons of the extreme right wing, not as a term which can be applied to any authoritarianism or dogma.

What you are doing by saying these things is lessening the horror of an ideology which inherently supports crimes against humanity, by reducing it to a caricature that is so vague it can be applied to anything bad. I am not trying to insult you, but I wish such things would end and people could read up on the actual Fascist states and their actual philosophy. 
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23798 on: October 02, 2018, 07:15:08 am »

I appreciate what you are saying, george-- but the assertion that "It is inherently a thing of the right, ultraconservative" is patently false.

There has only been two such states in recorded history, which were both ultra-conservative, but the basic features of the hows behind those two states are what I lamplit.  A totalitarian left state is entirely possible, and using the features that were inherent in fascism (eg, the narrative of "We can once more return to X pinnacle ideal, IF ONLY----" ) can be applied to left philosophy and practice as well.

Take for instance, the often misapplied conception that equality of genders == complete 50% engagement of both sexes-- IN EVERY FUCKING THING.  Sure, we can uphold that totally false narrative to the detriment of everyone, but that is not what equality in vocation for gender *MEANS*.  It means that if X gender person WANTED to get a job, there is no barrier other than their own desire.  (Or lack thereof.)   A non-uniform distribution is therefor not a signal that there is defacto sexism-- it is a sign that there is ununiform distribution in desire for that kind of employment.  Sure, the state can get involved, mandate a fictitious reality, and fuck everything up for everyone by enforcing a fictional ideal for an equally fictional ideal nation.  But to get there, they have to actually SUBSIDIZE a single gender over the other, (specifically, the one not fully represented as a 50 50 split) in order to obtain that distribution, which is the exact opposite of what they set out to accomplish. (Gender equality in vocation.) This follows the narrative of "We can return X ("Gender Equality", in the form of 50-50 distribution) If ONLY (we give incentives to women in sciences/Men in nursing/ etc)" with the subsequent "And we must do WHATEVER IT TAKES to accomplish this noble goal!

In the left version of events, people that want a job (since *want* is what is not distributed evenly) are excluded, and people who dont want are forced to perform, by state fiat--  rather than people getting murdered or what-have you---  But that could also happen in a different way if you go full batshit and start considering things like mandatory social reprogramming (Oh, you DONT want to be a nurse Mr Smith?  But you would make a GREAT nurse-- we have a shortage of male nurses!  We have these amazing drugs that will help put you in touch with your obviously burried nurturing side, and we INSIST that you take them!  etc.) and since we are talking *Extreme* leftism here, that is certainly on the table of consideration, which would be in the same ballpark of horror that was done to Alan Turing for being gay. People really are that evil, and if your guiding force is a fantastical ideal, you will perform atrocities to attain it--- so says voltaire at least.

So, NO.. The excuse that "Fascism is only a conservative thing!" is a lie. 

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23799 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:03 am »

There has only been two such states in recorded history
What are you talking about? There was Francoist Spain, who self described his nation as a totalitarian Fascist state and killed countless Spainards in concentration camps before somewhat liberalizing under the USA's guiding hand, Fascist Hungary, Iron Guard Romania, Italy, Nazi Germany, Ustache Croatia, etc. The list is countless. How can I trust you on the other things you say if you haven't even read the basic history of what you are trying to debate?

A totalitarian left state is entirely possible
This is... exactly what I am stating. Totalitarianism is totalitarianism, it is not inherent to Fascism and has sprung up all across the political wings. Fascism is an extremely specific type of totalitarianism.
and using the features that were inherent in fascism (eg, the narrative of "We can once more return to X pinnacle ideal, IF ONLY----" ) can be applied to left philosophy and practice as well.
Again, this is not only extremely vague, it also is not a thing which can only be found in Fascism. You are once again conflating all authoritarianism with Fascism, and simplifying the ideology as to apply it to anything.

Take for instance, the often misapplied conception that equality of genders == complete 50% engagement of both sexes-- IN EVERY FUCKING THING.  Sure, we can uphold that totally false narrative to the detriment of everyone, but that is not what equality in vocation for gender *MEANS*.  It means that if X gender person WANTED to get a job, there is no barrier other than their own desire.  (Or lack thereof.)   A non-uniform distribution is therefor not a signal that there is defacto sexism-- it is a sign that there is ununiform distribution in desire for that kind of employment.  Sure, the state can get involved, mandate a fictitious reality, and fuck everything up for everyone by enforcing a fictional ideal for an equally fictional ideal nation.  But to get there, they have to actually SUBSIDIZE a single gender over the other, (specifically, the one not fully represented as a 50 50 split) in order to obtain that distribution, which is the exact opposite of what they set out to accomplish. (Gender equality in vocation.) This follows the narrative of "We can return X ("Gender Equality", in the form of 50-50 distribution) If ONLY (we give incentives to women in sciences/Men in nursing/ etc)" with the subsequent "And we must do WHATEVER IT TAKES to accomplish this noble goal!

In the left version of events, people that want a job (since *want* is what is not distributed evenly) are excluded, and people who dont want are forced to perform, by state fiat--  rather than people getting murdered or what-have you---  But that could also happen in a different way if you go full batshit and start considering things like mandatory social reprogramming (Oh, you DONT want to be a nurse Mr Smith?  But you would make a GREAT nurse-- we have a shortage of male nurses!  We have these amazing drugs that will help put you in touch with your obviously burried nurturing side, and we INSIST that you take them!  etc.) and since we are talking *Extreme* leftism here, that is certainly on the table of consideration, which would be in the same ballpark of horror that was done to Alan Turing for being gay. People really are that evil, and if your guiding force is a fantastical ideal, you will perform atrocities to attain it--- so says voltaire at least.
Again, this is all vague authoritarianism and has extremely little to do with the makeup of what makes Fascism, well, Fascism, and not just any remotely authoritarian ideology. You are taking the ultraconservative return to an idealized, golden past of Fascist philosophy, divorcing it of its content and context and place within the ideology, and then stretching it as to make it applicable to anything. It makes the term, as I have stated, meaningless and extremely broad, which runs contradictory to the actual Fascist states and what their followers wrote or did. It is an absurd statement that can be used to call anything Fascism from any perspective.

Take a libertarian perspective, for example. The state needs taxes to survive, and the liberal government has raised taxes. But if I don't pay taxes despite making income, I will be arrested by the state. Therefore, the state is Fascist, as they believe they can return to stability via the raising of taxes and return to their idealized liberal utopia, and will use violent force to detain those who betray their ideals via tax evasion.

I strongly advise you to read up on the Fascist states and also read their philosophy. Giovanni Gentile, whose works were falsely attributed to Mussolini is a good start, as he was one of the more influential figures of the movement, and the writer of the Fascist Doctrine.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:40:52 am by George_Chickens »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23800 on: October 02, 2018, 07:45:25 am »

O, Since we are going to quibble, let's quibble.  I will use YOUR EXACT LANGUAGE, and just fill in some blanks. The ONLY thing I will not take at face value, is the assertion that Fascism is ultraconservative. (It most certainly is ultranational.)

So, let's begin.

You state this:

It is in their very philosophy that that which does not coincide with the traditions (the traditions they want to uphold, at least) of the nation should be slaughtered.

I pointed out how a leftist fascist regime could systematically perform "Forced realignments" (in the same vein as was done to gay people in the past), since the actual natural status of vocational desire does not "Coincide with the traditions of the nation"-- EG, the enforcement of the 50-50 vocational split, and the false narrative that this is defacto sexism if left unaddressed.

Yet, somehow, that is "Just totalitarianism", and not Fascism. 
Really, the ONLY difference is the nature of what constitutes the nature of "Traditions".  Or, what constitutes the nature of "slaughtered."  (Since I guess being forcibly changed into something you are not, and do not desire to become, is somehow not a death of personhood.)

As for your edit--

The example you have cited, does not follow the pattern defined, despite claiming to.

The pattern, again, is:

We can return to X (A fantastical, fictitious ideal that never existed to begin with), IF ONLY---

In the case of Nazi Germany this was "We can return Germany to the glorious days of our Aryan ancestors,  IF ONLY we can exterminate the impurities from within our ranks!"

Those Aryan ancestors, NEVER EXISTED, and the impurities likewise, were simply political rivals, or those that held differing viewpoints, or worse-- knew that the aryan myth was in fact a myth.

So, now better informed about what the structure of the statement *IS*, let's examine your counter argument, and see why it does NOT fit that pattern.

Take a libertarian perspective, for example. The state needs taxes to survive, and the liberal government has raised taxes. But if I don't pay taxes despite making income, I will be arrested by the state. Therefore, the state is Fascist, as they believe they can return to stability via the raising of taxes and return to their idealized liberal utopia, and will use violent force to detain those who betray their ideals via tax evasion.

"return to stability via raising taxes, and return to their idealized liberal utopia, and will use violent force to detain those who betray their ideals via tax evasion."

This, after IMMEDIATELY opening that taxes are indeed a REAL necessity, and not a totally fictitious narrative.

Yes-- THOSE ARE TOTALLY THE SAME THING. /s

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:00:00 am by wierd »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23801 on: October 02, 2018, 07:56:21 am »

But all you've done is once again claim that any extreme authoritarianism is Fascism whilst ignoring the philosophy of Fascism and the defining features of the many Fascist nations. You have once again removed a statement from its context and twisted it to become so broad that it can apply to anything.

This conversation is very quickly becoming meaningless, and in the interest of the thread, I see no point in continuing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23802 on: October 02, 2018, 08:05:00 am »

If you had read the linked Vox article, you would see that it is not really my opinion on the matter, but that of the philosopher/historian cited.  It is actually a reprinted interview with said individual.

They make the exact statement I expressed.  The guy even wrote a book.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Fascism-Works-Politics-Them/dp/0525511830

He is a professor at Yale.  (and yes, I know that is just an appeal to authority argument, but it's there all the same.)

Really, the crux of your argument is "But it does not fit the same stated goals of the fascist nations, therefor not fascist!"

When the counter argument is "There is something that all of the fascist nations had in common, and that is the pattern of achieving and maintaining power:"

This is qualitatively like saying strawberries are not red, because they do not look like roses. (Implying that only roses can be red, and that redness can only apply to roses. )
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:06:46 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23803 on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:38 am »

facism
Facism
Stop derailing this thread with rants about dumb ol' fascism. We were talking about facism, which is a system of government defined by the physical attractiveness of the ruler's face.

The Byzantines did it!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23804 on: October 02, 2018, 09:04:14 am »

*face-slap*

The good ol 'misspelling pedantry joke' routine, and I totally missed it!

*snaps fingers*
Damn.
Pages: 1 ... 1585 1586 [1587] 1588 1589 ... 3568