Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1573 1574 [1575] 1576 1577 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243215 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23610 on: September 25, 2018, 10:24:38 am »

Basically, they're feeling backed into a corner. Or more aptly, have painted themselves into a corner.

This has basically been true since Clinton.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23611 on: September 25, 2018, 12:03:43 pm »

Trump brags about his Presidency at the UN and gets laughed at. Such hubris (on the part of Trump).

Maybe he should be a comedian when he is done being President.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23612 on: September 25, 2018, 12:40:24 pm »

Regarding Rosenstein, it's important because Rosenstein is the boss of Mueller since Session's recusal. If Rosenstein is fired, he'll be replaced by an underling (if he resigned I believe Trump could replace him at will) who could fire Mueller. You may have often heard of Nixon's "Saturday night massacre" with reference to various Trump firings; if Trump fires Rosenstein, those comparisons - mere exaggerations at the moment -  come roaring back to life.

The latest crisis was precipitated by a NY Times article on Rosenstein, which revealed that last year, just after Comey had been fired (which prominently, had used a letter from Rosenstein justifying the dismissal) he had recommended to various FBI people interviewing to be FBI director to wear a wire when meeting with Trump, and pondered speaking with Sessions John Kelly (then the Director of Homeland Security) about invoking the 25th Amendment and removing Trump. Nothing came of it, it would seem. Flash-forward to Friday, when the times published this article.

This turned Rosenstein into a dead man walking, and Rosenstein's removal seems to be a matter of when, not if. Yesterday, rumors came out (this Axios article appears to be the initial source) that seemed to imply that Rosenstein was either resigning or considering to resign, which quickly made the news circuits. How true these are remain unclear: some suggest that he had decided to resign, or that he thought he would be fired, or some combination, or something else. More conspiratorial voices allege that the report was leaked in an attempt to force Rosenstein to resign and present a fait accompli, and that when Rosenstein refused, it became this chaos. Regardless, Monday ended the same way it began: with Rosenstein still in office, and Mueller still working away. Soon after, it came out that Trump would be meeting with Rosenstein on Thursday. What happens there, and after that, is unknown.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23613 on: September 25, 2018, 02:10:50 pm »

The replacement Deputy AG wouldn’t be heading the Mueller stuff, it’d be Noel Francisco, the solicitor general.

However, he apparently has a conflict of interest, being a former employee of the folks representing the Trunp campaign so... yeah. Basically they go down the hierarchy and find someone who has no conflicted interests to run the investigation.

Rosenstein won’t get fired ‘til after the mid-terms if he does get fired. No point risking everybody’s ire by doing it beforehand.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23614 on: September 25, 2018, 02:30:07 pm »

You say that as though conflicts of interest are any bar whatsoever to serving in the Trump Era. Hell, they're nearly a prerequisite in this administration.

I'm still waiting for someone to point out the irony of Trump gearing up to force Rosenstein out over an anonymous source reported in the "failing" NYT #FakeNews.
Like, this walking hemorrhoid has spent the last two years claiming that the New York Times is worthless and full of shit and a tool for the Deep State, and now he's all like "OMG DID YOU SEE WHAT THE TIMES SAID ABOUT ROSENSTEIN??!!"

That kind of shamelessly hypocritical cognitive dissonance makes me want to punch in some MAGA faces so badly. 

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23615 on: September 25, 2018, 03:25:58 pm »

Cosby was sentenced to 3 to 10 years in prison.

I expect he'll do about 6 months then be released due to good behavior/age/health/how fucking rich he is.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23616 on: September 25, 2018, 06:18:54 pm »

My understanding is that Cosby cannot be released earlier than the 3 year minimum.

Cosby's lawyer has declared the sentence to be both racist and sexist.

congress republicans would have to actually vote against him to get another option, which would be political suicide for a lot of them.

According to CNN there are 4, and according to Fox there are 8 Congress Republicans currently undecided on Kavanaugh. Though I agree, this close to the midterms, it would be more than a little bit perilous for them to go against the party on such a critical vote.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:25:12 pm by Folly »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23617 on: September 25, 2018, 06:26:48 pm »

Trump brags about his Presidency at the UN and gets laughed at. Such hubris (on the part of Trump).

Maybe he should be a comedian when he is done being President.
Funniest shit I've seen all day.

Not quite up there with the first panel of this comic: https://www.xkcd.com/2049/

Rigid slap bracelets... *thwack* Ow... huh... *thwack* goddammit why isn't this working? *thwack* seriously? *thwack* WHY AM I STILL DOING THIS *thwack* FUCK *thwack* ok this is getting stupid, it's obviously not going to work right.

*thwack* SHIT!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23618 on: September 25, 2018, 07:58:25 pm »

Had another one of those "just shut up, you'll make it worse" moments when my mother actually said he did in fact do more in 2 years than any president since the nation's founding. Really, I just can't talk about my own political beliefs around them, they're such die-hard Trump fans despite the fact that it benefits them in no way possible to do so.

I mean... it's technically correct, that he's done more things than any previous president, if you individually count defecating on every single achievement of every previous president. And +1 for that for being laughed at by representatives of most of the entire world. Not sure if anyone has managed that one before.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23619 on: September 25, 2018, 08:03:02 pm »

He did more "things" that any other president ever did in 2 years.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23620 on: September 25, 2018, 09:00:02 pm »

Pretty soon, MAGAts will be unironically saying that Trump once played a perfect 18 on the golf course, just like Kim Jong Il.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23621 on: September 25, 2018, 09:12:05 pm »

Didn't we already pass that point when they started talking about how his physique is actually perfect for a man of his age and status, and that most women are attracted to him?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23622 on: September 25, 2018, 09:24:43 pm »

Didn't we already pass that point when they started talking about how his physique is actually perfect for a man of his age

I've never heard this one, but it would be really funny.  I can easily find examples of people who are older than him and obviously more fit.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23623 on: September 25, 2018, 09:29:09 pm »

And +1 for that for being laughed at by representatives of most of the entire world. Not sure if anyone has managed that one before.

One of the commentators on CNN said that they'd talked to diplomats who had been at the UN for decades and none of them even remember anything remotely like that happening. Theres laughing in casual talk, and then theres the UNGA speech. Sure, I could see one of the more humorous Presidents make a crack about something, but the UNGA speech is seriously not a venue to do lighthearted jokes and humor. Trump got laughed at like an amateur who just pissed themselves. This is one case where he should have stuck to a script (and Trump and his staff are probably wishing that he had)....

Really just shows how goddamn ridiculous Trump is (and I don't often invoke god in expletives).

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23624 on: September 25, 2018, 09:50:28 pm »

His scripted speech(at least the parts I skimmed, 40 minutes? geez) was actually quite good. It's just shame that just about everything in it flies in the face of what he actually does as president. Actually... someone should check if he didn't lift big parts of it off another president's speech.
Pages: 1 ... 1573 1574 [1575] 1576 1577 ... 3568