Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 [1569] 1570 1571 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244163 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23520 on: September 17, 2018, 02:02:50 pm »

Regarding Kavanaugh's recent accusations, I know this will be an unpopular position, but...

He's not being accused of rape. He's being accused of sexually aggressive behavior. As a teenager. At a party. With alcohol. And peer pressure. 50 years ago.
Honestly, it would have been weird if he had not made a move.

As for her feeling that her life was threatened and becoming traumatized after he momentarily put his hand over her mouth, that sounds like more her problem than his.

Even if all this is true(and there's no persuasive evidence that it is), I see no reason why it should affect kavanaugh's eligibility for the Supreme Court. There is a ton of other shit that should absolutely affect his eligibility, but not this.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23521 on: September 17, 2018, 02:28:31 pm »

Regarding Kavanaugh's recent accusations, I know this will be an unpopular position, but...

He's not being accused of rape. He's being accused of sexually aggressive behavior. As a teenager. At a party. With alcohol. And peer pressure. 50 years ago.
Honestly, it would have been weird if he had not made a move.

You mean over 30 years ago, you're probably thinking of Roy Moore. But you do have a point there. He has had at least six FBI background checks for the various positions he was in, it seems like any hints that he was up to such behavior would have cropped up if he continued it, and theres no indication that he did. One article I saw mentioned that the Republicans seemed rather prepared with the 60+ women backing up Kavanaugh and the article accused the Republicans of already knowing about the allegations (other than what Sen. Feinstein said), but that could plausibly have been due to having already talked to them via thorough vetting.

As for her feeling that her life was threatened and becoming traumatized after he momentarily put his hand over her mouth, that sounds like more her problem than his.

The allegation isn't *just* him putting his hand over her mouth, sounds like you're misunderstanding the situation as described.

Even if all this is true(and there's no persuasive evidence that it is), I see no reason why it should affect kavanaugh's eligibility for the Supreme Court. There is a ton of other shit that should absolutely affect his eligibility, but not this.

Have you forgotten about the #metoo movement?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23522 on: September 17, 2018, 02:29:20 pm »

Yeah, I'm not impressed with this either. It seems like the kind of week gambit the right expects from the left.

I did laugh out loud when some Republican complained about this not coming out a few weeks earlier. Since they waited till the last minute to share Kavenaugh's information, hid a ridiculous amount, and immediately started the hearing before anyone else could read what they'd spent months building.

It's also so great that they're trying to shove through a very controversial appointment before a crucial midterm, when they told Obama to wait out his term.

But I don't feel great about this ancient harassment claim. Feels like fighting dirty with dirty, and not even smartly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23523 on: September 17, 2018, 02:32:10 pm »

Turns out we live in a country where you need to have scores of women ready to publicly back you up if you win an office and have a penis. Otherwise someone might be able to convince people you are a sex offender.

Like I know that's exaggerated amounts of cynical, but this is our reality now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23524 on: September 17, 2018, 02:38:38 pm »

Now Sen. Hatch is saying that Kavanaugh said he wasn't at that party. Time to track down whoever WAS at the party and ask them if Kavanaugh was there.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23525 on: September 17, 2018, 02:44:56 pm »

The allegation isn't *just* him putting his hand over her mouth, sounds like you're misunderstanding the situation as described.

She also alleged some over-the-clothes fondling and being pinned to the bed, but she specifically attributed her feeling of her life being at risk and the subsequent trauma to the hand over her mouth.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23526 on: September 17, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »

Dat flight doe.

There's like 20 other items and item combos that give flight doe

Most of them aren't spacebar items either.  Usually by the time conquest shows up I either already got flight or I have a spacebar item I want to keep for the rest of the run.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23527 on: September 17, 2018, 03:51:27 pm »

Turns out we live in a country society.
FTFY

No seriously, there's exaggerating and then there's being a actual strawman, and you're leaning worryingly close to the latter.

There was an accusation. Now people are investigating, and the most that'll happen right now is that it'll be delayed for further investigation. It's hardly a controversial idea that Trump does not thoroughly vet his nominees, this would be quite normal.

Dunam, you're well on the side of reflexively opposing it, with what are at most purely circumstantial objections. I'd like to hear your reason for opposing a more detailed imvestigation, which it seems like even Republicans are interested in.

Or to use a Trump quote, we should put this to a temporary stop now "until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23528 on: September 17, 2018, 03:55:29 pm »

e's wonnathem sexerists, gitem

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23529 on: September 17, 2018, 04:07:39 pm »

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to cite facts while mocking our TRAVESTY OF A NATION where all major political parties view rape allegations as a valid political tool.

He might well have done it. Our handling and viewpoint on these things is still reprehensible. I'd also thank you to not try to equate my cynicism with not wanting an investigation into a possible sexual assault case Mr. "being a actual strawman".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23530 on: September 17, 2018, 04:09:39 pm »

If six FBI background investigations (for various positions) didn't turn up anything, it's entirely plausible that even a thorough vetting by Trump could have missed it.

Also, I took what Dunamis said in reference to the 60+ women backing Kavanaugh as sarcasm rather than opposing investigating further.

Now that Kavanaugh is claiming he wasn't at the party (someone on CNN wondered how he'd know which party is being talked about), the obvious next step is to coroborate whether they actually all were at the same party and check alibis, which isn't going to be easy since it took place 36 years ago.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to cite facts while mocking our TRAVESTY OF A NATION where all major political parties view rape allegations as a valid political tool.

He might well have done it. Our handling and viewpoint on these things is still reprehensible. I'd also thank you to not try to equate my cynicism with not wanting an investigation into a possible sexual assault case Mr. "being a actual strawman".

In all fairness, sarcasm doesn't transmit well over the net, sometimes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23531 on: September 17, 2018, 04:17:35 pm »

Dat flight doe.

Most of them aren't spacebar items either.  Usually by the time conquest shows up I either already got flight or I have a spacebar item I want to keep for the rest of the run.

Dry humping secret rooms for Fate, Angel Rooms for the Holy Spirit or w/e it's called, and a few other flight options, aren't guarantees. I never look gift flight in the mouth, or hoof.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23532 on: September 17, 2018, 04:23:33 pm »

Also, I took what Dunamis said in reference to the 60+ women backing Kavanaugh as sarcasm rather than opposing investigating further.

This is what I thought as well. Is this just a miscommunication?

I think the political use of accusations like these is a problem, if only because it can poison people against believing sexual assault accusations more generally. If the cases are tied up in obvious political consequences and motivations, then it gives people a reason to doubt which may undermine the whole process. Ultimately the issue revolves on how severe an accusation must be to be taken seriously (and how frequently unserious accusations are made for political gain), and I would say that we have been pushing the boundary on what might be considered that level of toxic politicalization for some time now.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23533 on: September 17, 2018, 04:28:16 pm »

Dat flight doe.

Dry humping secret rooms for Fate, Angel Rooms for the Holy Spirit or w/e it's called, and a few other flight options, aren't guarantees. I never look gift flight in the mouth, or hoof.

Finding flight in a devil deal isn't that uncommon though, and most devil items contribute to either leviathan or guppy transformations, which give flight.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23534 on: September 17, 2018, 04:48:49 pm »

This is one of those arguments where I'm over here, most people are over there, and then someone else leaps in from nowhere, screaming obscenities and swinging a sword.
It's very difficult for me to actually understand what you are saying, that I will indeed confess. My impression is that you ran in here to fight the culture war and I just wanted to discuss the nomination and whether or not it'll be delayed or stopped, is that correct? Because my position is that its proper to delay it under the circumstances.

I'm just saying, Folly and Rolan7 both managed to have positions like yours without going all "WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY" on us.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 [1569] 1570 1571 ... 3569