Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1548 1549 [1550] 1551 1552 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242747 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23236 on: September 06, 2018, 09:06:52 am »

'the sleeper cells have awakened' seems way too generic to be a Dune reference.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23237 on: September 06, 2018, 09:12:10 am »

You know, it just occurred to me that somewhere, Tom Clancy's ghost is watching all this and crying that he's not around to write this story.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23238 on: September 06, 2018, 09:27:15 am »

You know, it just occurred to me that somewhere, Tom Clancy's ghost is watching all this and crying that he's not around to hire a ghostwriter to write this story.

There ya go, had a slight typo in your post, I fixed it up for ya.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23239 on: September 06, 2018, 10:05:27 am »

You know, it just occurred to me that somewhere, Tom Clancy's ghost is watching all this and crying that he's not around to hire a ghostwriter to write this story.

Red in the White House, the new thriller from Tom Clancy, presented by James Patterson, written by a 6-month old AI trained on old transcripts of "Yes Minister" and "House of Cards"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23240 on: September 06, 2018, 10:52:15 am »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23241 on: September 06, 2018, 11:32:44 am »

In some ways, it's kinda breathtaking to see the devotion these people have. They will happily devour their own at the drop of a red MAGA hat, if Orange Leader says the word.

It's not really about Trump though. It's about their perceived political supremacy and the fear that they will lose it, and Trump is the fulcrum point. You could put a chimpanzee in an orange wig in the Oval Office, and as long as it served as an icon for the right, they'd do and say anything to support them. "The president may not have the power of speech and flings poo at his closest advisors, but at least he's not a Democrat!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23242 on: September 06, 2018, 12:27:45 pm »

Red in the White House, the new thriller from Tom Clancy, presented by James Patterson, written by a 6-month old AI trained on old transcripts of "Yes Minister" and "House of Cards"

Pounded in the Butt by the White House Resistance by Chuck Tingle
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23243 on: September 06, 2018, 12:35:51 pm »

So far we've slid to "ok so treason is like... I mean, what does thatr even mean, and so what if he makes me change his diapers while giggling about shooting his tinkle cannon... at least he's not a democrat" now.

I didn't expect a Brave New World x 1984 fanfic written by a semi-literate 6 year old with dementia who only read the back cover of either book.

I mean it, had no fucking clue this is where we were going to end up.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23244 on: September 06, 2018, 01:11:28 pm »

So I'm pretty sure that the opt-ed was written to weaken the Republicans by opening the wounds between the party and the president. I mean, we know it's in regard to factual events -- we have plenty of other documents discussing Trump's administration working against him -- but the key thing about the opt-ed is that it doesn't help the Republicans significantly. It seems to me that the much larger portion of Republicans, and the ones most likely to vote, are the ones that have been engaged by Trump, not by the party standards. Convincing them that the party opposes the only guy they like will only do to the Republicans what dropping Bernie did to the democrats. And that'll hurt the Republicans more, since they're already the minority of the population.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23245 on: September 06, 2018, 01:35:41 pm »

They could be reaching out to the moderate Republican voters who, were it not for party solidarity, would openly come out against Trump.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23246 on: September 06, 2018, 01:49:26 pm »

Quote from: Melania Trump
Freedom of speech is an important pillar of our nation’s founding principles and a free press is important to our democracy. The press should be fair, unbiased and responsible. Unidentified sources have become the majority of voices people hear about in today’s news. People with no names are writing our nation’s history. Words are important, and accusations can lead to severe consequences. If a person is bold enough to accuse people of negative actions, they have a responsibility to publicly stand by their words and people have the right to be able to defend themselves. To the writer of the oped – you are not protecting this country, you are sabotaging it with your cowardly actions.

There is 0% chance that Melania wrote that herself. I would be surprised if she even signed off on it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23247 on: September 06, 2018, 02:08:08 pm »

It's actually not a bad stance to take, if it wasn't for the fact there's a big baby standing next to her that wants to throw his "you're fired" squeaky hammer at anyone who comes forward.

As it stands, the Op-Ed really DID do nothing but throw more chaos into what was already a very chaotic situation.

Trumpites can hard deny anything an "anonymous" source can throw at them. Hard opposition types don't really get anything new out of it except confirmation of their own biases, and how it affects the people in the middle is going to be various and unpredictable.

Hell, maybe it's Putin. Based on some sources he could probably be labelled a high ranking staffer.

It's really nice to look at it from the angle of someone against Trump and say "LOOK! SEE!? VINDICATION!!!" but it's not changing anything in my favor. It's not hurting anyone who harshly opposes me, and for the deep state believers it's their own sort of "LOOK!!! SEEE!? VINDICATION!!!" moment. It's just more confusion for those who find themselves in the middle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23248 on: September 06, 2018, 02:37:45 pm »

There's also the theory that Trump or his team drafted the letter. Although they did claim they vetted the identity of the sender.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:39:19 pm by nenjin »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23249 on: September 06, 2018, 03:01:41 pm »

Quote from: Melania Trump
Freedom of speech is an important pillar of our nation’s founding principles and a free press is important to our democracy. The press should be fair, unbiased and responsible. Unidentified sources have become the majority of voices people hear about in today’s news. People with no names are writing our nation’s history. Words are important, and accusations can lead to severe consequences. If a person is bold enough to accuse people of negative actions, they have a responsibility to publicly stand by their words and people have the right to be able to defend themselves. To the writer of the oped – you are not protecting this country, you are sabotaging it with your cowardly actions.

There is 0% chance that Melania wrote that herself. I would be surprised if she even signed off on it.
* Starver bets it's Michelle Obama's authorship...
8)
Pages: 1 ... 1548 1549 [1550] 1551 1552 ... 3568