Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241952 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23160 on: September 04, 2018, 09:09:51 pm »

Why are there no term limits?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23161 on: September 04, 2018, 09:19:33 pm »

SCOTUS term limits? No clue why there aren't any, you'd have to ask the Founding Fathers.

Having term limits for SCOTUS Justices is definenetly an idea that has been kicked around though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23162 on: September 04, 2018, 11:09:15 pm »

We have 50+ nice chunks already lined out, all with their own governments more or less already in place.

Oh heeeeeell no, I'm not living in the great democratic people's republic of North Carolina without even federal influence.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23163 on: September 04, 2018, 11:24:33 pm »

We have 50+ nice chunks already lined out, all with their own governments more or less already in place.

Oh heeeeeell no, I'm not living in the great democratic people's republic of North Carolina without even federal influence.

Then move somewhere else. That's the beauty of it. Somewhere's likely gonna be a taste of society that's tolerable to you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23164 on: September 04, 2018, 11:44:13 pm »

Then move somewhere else. That's the beauty of it. Somewhere's likely gonna be a taste of society that's tolerable to you.

I don't think it's the taste of society that would be intolerable. It'd be the overnight proliferation of petty fiefdoms where someone has told themselves they know what "society" is, and there total lack of obligation to respect anyone else's opinion, and that shit turning people in to refugees.

I think that'd be the less tolerable part.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23165 on: September 04, 2018, 11:44:38 pm »

Are you paying my moving costs?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23166 on: September 04, 2018, 11:56:34 pm »

I don't think it's the taste of society that would be intolerable. It'd be the overnight proliferation of petty fiefdoms where someone has told themselves they know what "society" is, and there total lack of obligation to respect anyone else's opinion, and that shit turning people in to refugees.

I think that'd be the less tolerable part.
Meh. As long as my view of society prevails in the bloodbath, it's all good.

And that's honestly only half-joking anymore. I feel like we're headed for an inevitable mass rumble in the streets, probably keyed off Trump resigning/being impeached/being arrested/being assassinated/being removed from office by military coup/losing an election in 2020/winning re-election in 2020. I can't see the MAGAt crowd going gently into that good night, and I can't see the rest of America sitting on their hands at the prospect of four more years of this shit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23167 on: September 05, 2018, 12:00:18 am »

I can't see the rest of America sitting on their hands at the prospect of four more years of this shit.

I think that depends on what's on netflix.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23168 on: September 05, 2018, 12:47:13 am »

I dunno. Even the opiate of the masses that is beer and the superbowl seems to be having difficulty with the current level of civic unrest.

A reckoning is sure to happen, but what outcome? No clue.

Seriously been considering moving someplace extremely remote for several years now actually.  Anyplace far away from dense urban settings.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23169 on: September 05, 2018, 12:49:34 am »

Hint: the political discourse only gets worse as you move to more and more remote places, with the sole saving grace that there's an asymptote when the number of people hits zero, and politics becomes indeterminate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23170 on: September 05, 2018, 01:06:12 am »

It is exactly that singularity at the far end of the chart that I seek... How convenient!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23171 on: September 05, 2018, 01:25:12 am »

As much as I like the idea of moving away from people, being away from civilization is an unacceptable loss. This whole civilization thing would be pretty great if it weren't for all these damn people mucking it up.

Besides. In any chaos there is a chance to survive, and even thrive, and only the former is possible when you are alone (or at least, when I'm alone). And that's true both on the individual level and on the level of society.

Well that worked so well for the Indian subcontinent, why not here?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23172 on: September 05, 2018, 01:31:51 am »

True that no man is an island, and nobody can do literally everything-- "thrive" is a word that has subjective meaning.

People can languish in a fancy apartment.

What society provides is safety, security, and availability of resources. In a period of unrest, it provides negative quantities of those.  The intent of the purposeful removal is not to permanently disconnect, but to disconnect while situation is favorable, and to return (and bring resources and expertise back again) when situation is once again favorable.

Having been ... "conditioned" by my father's unique form of paternal affection (The details of which have many disturbing parallels to terrorist training. For realz.) I literally can just take my shoes and a knife, and walk out into the wilderness and stay for extended periods of time. The thing that stops me is that the local constabulary takes a dim view to people doing that.

In a period of extreme civic unrest, the constabulary will have bigger problems.

The issue:  Many others will have the same idea.  So, where to? :P 

There's another nasty asymptote at the end of that spectrum, where the areas assured to be devoid of people, are 100% inhospitable to human existence.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23173 on: September 05, 2018, 01:46:10 am »

People can languish in a fancy apartment.
I think I'd rather languish in a fancy apartment than languish in a hovel, and knowing myself a hovel wouldn't vastly improve my non-languishing abilities.

There's another nasty asymptote at the end of that spectrum, where the areas assured to be devoid of people, are 100% inhospitable to human existence.
Blame the damn nature lovers for that one. Jack London and Ralph Waldo Emerson and all those types, preaching nature to the masses. Now you have all these people trying to "get away from it all" who end up being the new all to get away from. Every man who builds a cabin a mile into the forest is now the newest frontier of civilization, and now the next person has to build a mile deeper. Not enough nature to go around. Which, while inconvenient for them vis-a-vis nature-seeking, is also troublesome for your related but distinct aim of people-avoiding.

That said, to be honest I'd live in Antarctica if I could get internet access there.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:12:14 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23174 on: September 05, 2018, 02:06:13 am »

My plan is to find someone's document in a filing cabinet and make money for it until I die.

Edit: If it lets me
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:09:12 am by UrbanGiraffe »
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 3568