Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1522 1523 [1524] 1525 1526 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242698 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22845 on: August 23, 2018, 02:14:35 pm »

Trump is a modern Republican, Pence is a Republican from 3 years ago.  Look past the Bible Belt memes; policy-wise Pence is very typical.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/  Apparently Democrats are likely to win the House?  It makes sense in broad strokes (this is what usually happens when one party controls all 3 branches) but I don't remember other forecasts being this optimistic.

Edit: The nickname doesn't surprise me, he was an oldstyle Republican in the House which is very much tea partiers and hardcore libertarians.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22846 on: August 23, 2018, 02:29:27 pm »

Keep in mind, the impeachment narrative is being driven by Republicans, not Democrats.

Of course. They need to start backing away from the president now (not 6 months ago), because mid-term elections are coming up.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22847 on: August 23, 2018, 03:07:43 pm »

Trump is a modern Republican, Pence is a Republican from 30 years ago.  Look past the Bible Belt memes; policy-wise Pence is very typical.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/  Apparently Democrats are likely to win the House?  It makes sense in broad strokes (this is what usually happens when one party controls all 3 branches) but I don't remember other forecasts being this optimistic.

Edit: The nickname doesn't surprise me, he was an oldstyle Republican in the House which is very much tea partiers and hardcore libertarians.

FIFY

As for the 538 analysis, the classic setting is pretty optimistic, but it's dealing with a range of probabilities, not saying it will absolutely be x.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22848 on: August 23, 2018, 05:45:44 pm »

On Jeff Sessions:

"Even my enemies say that Jeff Sessions should have told you that he was going to recuse himself, and then you wouldn't have put him in. He took the job and then he said I'm going to recuse myself. I said: 'What kind of a man is this?'

"You know the only reason I gave him the job? Because I felt loyalty, he was an original supporter. He was on the campaign. He knows there was no collusion."

Drain that swamp, Donald.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22849 on: August 23, 2018, 05:54:29 pm »

Starting to wonder if how American society is acting and reacting right now is less a matter of politics, and more that everyone senses there's no real hand on the wheel.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22850 on: August 23, 2018, 06:04:49 pm »

On Jeff Sessions:

"Even my enemies say that Jeff Sessions should have told you that he was going to recuse himself, and then you wouldn't have put him in. He took the job and then he said I'm going to recuse myself. I said: 'What kind of a man is this?'

"You know the only reason I gave him the job? Because I felt loyalty, he was an original supporter. He was on the campaign. He knows there was no collusion."

Drain that swamp, Donald.

Lindsey Graham said that Trump might fire Sessions after the midterms. While that's just ancedotial or speculative on his part, I hope the Democrats rally on that threat for Senators because replacing him is going to be a massive fight since everybody knows that Trump is going to try to replace Sessions with someone who will try to shut down the Mueller investigation for corrupt reasons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22851 on: August 23, 2018, 06:17:21 pm »

Y'know at this point, I kinda have to wonder... Say Sessions does get the boot, and say King Peach puts someone else in his place, and say that this all leads to the Mueller investigation getting shitcanned in a storm of blatant corruption...

Would anyone actually care? Like, would anyone really get off their asses enough to mobilize and do... Something? If the entire system were to completely collapse, would John Q. even be invested enough to give a damn and not just "wait it out a while longer"?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22852 on: August 23, 2018, 06:40:32 pm »

Y'know at this point, I kinda have to wonder... Say Sessions does get the boot, and say King Peach puts someone else in his place, and say that this all leads to the Mueller investigation getting shitcanned in a storm of blatant corruption...

Would anyone actually care? Like, would anyone really get off their asses enough to mobilize and do... Something? If the entire system were to completely collapse, would John Q. even be invested enough to give a damn and not just "wait it out a while longer"?

In my area... There would be celebrations about Mueller getting fired. In that case I made an awful, shitty statement I didn't mean. My bad guys.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:10:33 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22853 on: August 23, 2018, 06:56:31 pm »

Not even remotely funny.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22854 on: August 23, 2018, 07:03:11 pm »

I figured he meant it in sarcasm/dark humor. Plenty of Democrats would flip their shit though.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22855 on: August 23, 2018, 07:19:29 pm »

I wouldn't actually shoot anyone.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22856 on: August 23, 2018, 07:25:20 pm »

I wouldn't actually shoot anyone.

You know, that's what everyone says, until they do.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22857 on: August 23, 2018, 07:48:14 pm »

Let me clarify: I would absolutely shoot someone in the defense of myself, my family, or a victim in danger of their life. Outside that narrow and specific and HIGHLY unlikely situation, I wouldn't shoot anyone ever.

Well, or if I got drafted and was sent to war.
He's fucking with us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22858 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:50 pm »

...or if I got drunk, or high, or just really mad at someone, or if someone offered me enough money, or if shooting one person would somehow save two others, or if someone had a bullseye printed on their t-shirt, or if I was aiming at a wall and the bullet went through and hit someone, or on a double dog dare, or even just a regular dare, or if I was pretty sure I could get away with it, or if VR becomes too real and I thought I was in a video game, or if I had a time machine and went back to shoot baby Hitler, or if someone hypnotised me, or peer pressured me, or if I mixed up my lighter-gun and real-gun again, or if a supervillain erased everyone's memories and I didn't remember what a gun was, or if I was just feeling kinda bored...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:28:49 pm by Folly »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22859 on: August 23, 2018, 09:25:20 pm »

Shooting someone dead should be a right of passage for every American adult.
Pages: 1 ... 1522 1523 [1524] 1525 1526 ... 3568