Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241912 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22575 on: August 14, 2018, 11:32:16 am »

On the other hand, the judge hasn't exactly sounded impartial either, so maybe they're just playing it out and expecting the judge to hand out a slap on the wrist be done with it.

That would be my guess; opening one's mouth in T.S. Ellis' courtroom is a good way to destroy any goodwill one might have with him (largely because he's a staggeringly insecure man who has to constantly prove he's the smartest guy in the room), so they may have calculated that they'd rather have his overt pity than risk running afoul of his ego.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22576 on: August 14, 2018, 03:29:31 pm »

You can take it one step further by making them heil Charlie Chaplin

Or you could quit feeding the Nazis.

*Hides 10-pound bag of Nazseed*

It's ok, I already hid it for you, in the forest...

Spoiler: OH WAIT! (click to show/hide)
I showed the missus that and she was half asleep and mutters in a drunken Reagan impression: "Mr. Gorbachev... tear down this tree..."

She is legend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22577 on: August 14, 2018, 03:39:22 pm »

The prosecution's case has been... sloppy. So maybe they think they can get away with the discrediting they've done so far.

On one hand it's pretty clear he's done some bad things, but on the other hand, the evidence of said bad things isn't necessarily "beyond reasonable doubt". Jury may let him off based on that alone.

On the other hand, the judge hasn't exactly sounded impartial either, so maybe they're just playing it out and expecting the judge to hand out a slap on the wrist be done with it.

As far as 'reasonable doubt, I suppose it might hinge more on whether he knew it was wrong or maybe the degrees of it, dunno.

They're doing one of the dismissals based on the judges comments apparently, so, maybe mistrial? How Trump and co. react to the Mueller investigation going forward is going to heavily depend on whether this trial succeeds or not. If it goes to mistrial though, Trump is going to see that as a win regardless.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22578 on: August 14, 2018, 03:41:06 pm »

Whether or not he "knew" it was wrong should have no bearing on the illegality of the case. If I didn't know it was illegal to run someone over and I did it, I should still be prosecuted for it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22579 on: August 14, 2018, 03:48:35 pm »

As far as 'reasonable doubt, I suppose it might hinge more on whether he knew it was wrong or maybe the degrees of it, dunno.
That's the thing though, this isn't about proving something 'beyond reasonable doubt'... This is about proving beyond unreasonable doubt. It's a partisan issue, so there has to be a gigantic sword hanging over his head for anybody to care.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22580 on: August 14, 2018, 03:53:09 pm »

I meant what his intention was, to take your example, if you genuinely ran over someone by accident, that's one thing, if you intended to, that's another. I was thinking more the sentencing part I guess.

Uh... huh. So apparently manafort's defense team has decided to call no witnesses and present no case. Seems like they pretty much immediately rested when their go was up. Interesting choice...?

The CNN liveblog mentions that one of the defense lawyers said that they did so because 'the government hasn't met the burden of proof'. Seems like there's plenty of proof to me though.

That's the thing though, this isn't about proving something 'beyond reasonable doubt'... This is about proving beyond unreasonable doubt. It's a partisan issue, so there has to be a gigantic sword hanging over his head for anybody to care.

I certainly hope the lawyers attempted to do 6 republicans and 6 democrats in order to balance things out if it's a partisan issue. Though they really aren't supposed to attempt to manipulate the jury along partisan lines, and the jury themselves are supposed to leave politics behind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22581 on: August 14, 2018, 04:02:02 pm »

That seems like supreme arrogance on the part of the defense. Even if the prosecution did not present a strong case, just smugly going "yeah we don't have to do anything" for a trial of this caliber won't win them any favors from people in the jury who actually are paying attention or care about the facts of the case.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22582 on: August 14, 2018, 04:07:38 pm »

people in the jury who actually are paying attention or care about the facts of the case.
So... Nobody?

These are jury members we're talking about. It's specifically called "A jury of your peers" because they spend the whole time pissing about.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22583 on: August 14, 2018, 04:09:38 pm »

You'd think they'd at least try a character witness or something, the defense not offering anything makes it look like the defense really doesn't have anything to actually defend with.

Both sides are going to do their closing arguments tomorrow, so, I guess we'll see then if there is anything there.

people in the jury who actually are paying attention or care about the facts of the case.
So... Nobody?

These are jury members we're talking about. It's specifically called "A jury of your peers" because they spend the whole time pissing about.

Nice pun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22584 on: August 14, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »

Nice pun.
Thank you. I tried very hard...

But yes, it is incredibly sketchy that they've just gone "Nah, we don't need to assemble a defense". Maybe there's some Moriarty-level bullshit involved?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22585 on: August 14, 2018, 04:19:24 pm »

Nice pun.

But yes, it is incredibly sketchy that they've just gone "Nah, we don't need to assemble a defense". Maybe there's some Moriarty-level bullshit involved?
"The defense humbly presents... Nothing!"
"Nani!?"
"All according to plan! Hahahaha!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22586 on: August 14, 2018, 04:33:18 pm »

Well, they could have had Manafort take the stand, but what kind of defense team ever lets the defendee take the stand.

Though if they try to assert tomorrow that the prosecution hasn't met the burden of proof without giving counter proof (other than what happened during cross examination), then I don't see how that defense is going to work, unless they're just trying to place the seed of doubt in the jury.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22587 on: August 14, 2018, 06:15:56 pm »

Nice pun.
I had thought it was ur inate cleverness...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22588 on: August 14, 2018, 06:26:36 pm »

Apparently, it's not entirely unusual, but only done when you think the prosecution hasn't presented sufficient burden of proof. It does worry me slightly that they know something we don't, but I'm not losing sleep over it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22589 on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:49 pm »

I'm guessing they're very confident in the makeup of the jury pool. And I suppose the way things are now the best we can probably expect is a hung jury anyways. Nobody actually gives a shit about malfeasance when they're just trying to thumb their nose at the other side.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 3568