Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1500 1501 [1502] 1503 1504 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241191 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22515 on: August 11, 2018, 04:32:07 pm »

I could probably toss out a few, but ultimately you're right.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22516 on: August 11, 2018, 04:36:53 pm »

That sounds hard, honestly I'd just be winging it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22517 on: August 11, 2018, 05:11:37 pm »

I dunno, it just doesn't Drive me to jokes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22518 on: August 11, 2018, 05:36:03 pm »

We lost that in our politics and now politics have driven that out of the sport that still united us.

Still united people like you, you mean. We don't all watch football.

I get that it's tempting to move the goalposts until Real America -- you know, conservative, patriotic, pro-war, anti-choice, pro-gun America, the only America that should ever get to run the country, right? -- fits in the stadium/echo chamber, but sometimes people need to be reminded that their safe spaces are not the only spaces that exist. The kneeling was an effective way to do that.

And, perhaps, a way to remember that when good ol' boys become bad cops, their victims don't get to huffily dictate where politics happens. You kind of know what that feels like now, modulo the risk of death.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:50:12 pm by Trekkin »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22519 on: August 11, 2018, 08:42:44 pm »

Oh my fucking god no one cares about the kneeling bullshit, just watch college football GO DAWGGSSSSSS

No but seriously the NFL is a fucking joke and it has been for the past decade. Watch college football, the players have more fun and you can get drunk during the games.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22520 on: August 11, 2018, 09:09:29 pm »

Oh my fucking god no one cares about the kneeling bullshit, just watch college football GO DAWGGSSSSSS

No but seriously the NFL is a fucking joke and it has been for the past decade. Watch college football, the players have more fun and you can get drunk during the games.

You're a Bulldogs fan?

Go Jackets!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22521 on: August 11, 2018, 09:35:55 pm »

I think you slightly missed the sentiment, especially seeing shazbot's post being in response to why patriotism takes such a large role at NFL events (the commonality between teams as Americans. Which applies nicely to the political field, where anyone of any political leaning could at least agree to want the betterment of the US).

Not that I disagree with discussion of police in pursuit of change or even the kneeling itself. Though with the frankly surprising reaction to this small thing- maybe we could get past kneeling and to the issue of police. But as long as people stay angry at dudes using their personal liberties, attention to the real problem won't get too far.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22522 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:55 am »

Not too far is arguably further than said angry people's previous applicable distance, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22523 on: August 12, 2018, 11:24:12 am »

Quote from: Donald Trump
I condemn all acts of violence!

This message seems a tad disingenuous coming from Mr Fire and Fury.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22524 on: August 12, 2018, 11:34:29 am »

It's not violence when he's doing it. It's Red-Blooded American Justice *eagle screech*!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22525 on: August 12, 2018, 12:41:45 pm »

I think you slightly missed the sentiment, especially seeing shazbot's post being in response to why patriotism takes such a large role at NFL events (the commonality between teams as Americans. Which applies nicely to the political field, where anyone of any political leaning could at least agree to want the betterment of the US).

Not that I disagree with discussion of police in pursuit of change or even the kneeling itself. Though with the frankly surprising reaction to this small thing- maybe we could get past kneeling and to the issue of police. But as long as people stay angry at dudes using their personal liberties, attention to the real problem won't get too far.

That was kind of my point, though: the commonality he's referencing doesn't go nearly as far as we might assume, and we have a long history of saccharine references to unity and commonality as a way to discourage expressions of dissent. In this case, the America the players live in is hugely different from the America of the fans or the owners, both in a racial and an economic sense. We miss that when we look around the stadium and say how unified we are now that everyone not in the stadium has gone.

While I agree with you that it would be preferable to have a national conversation about police brutality instead of freedom of expression, the latter is kind of a prerequisite for the former, not least because people tend to use where and how political dialogue is acceptable as a cryptic control on who they want to hear from. Eventually we'll get through all the (largely performative) histrionic pearl-clutching about the audacity of the message and start talking about the message itself.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22526 on: August 12, 2018, 01:58:39 pm »

People who like the idea of a space force:
- The Army and Navy, who will see the Air Force knocked down a peg.
- Gamer Bros
- Sexless STEM people
- People who like everything Trump does
- People who are likely to get picked by Trump to run the Space Force
- Potential new military suppliers who will get the first chance to sell to the novice Space Force requisition officers
- People who don't know much about the military or space, but are afraid of foreigners

People who dislike the idea of a space force:
- The Air Force
- NASA
- All other international space organizations
- Fiscal conservatives who actually give a damn
- Liberals

When I did a research paper on PAROS and US militarization-of-space policy, I found that it was somewhat backwards regarding the existing branches. Army, Navy and Marines (and presumably Coast Guard) WANT the US to sign onto PAROS and keep space a demilitarized zone because they are incredibly dependent on satellite-based resources and would prefer those not get shot down in the middle of a knife fight.

The Air Force was the only branch in favor, though that was with the idea that the Air Force would be the one running the show. I doubt they'd be as excited about a separate branch getting the job. So I think you can reliably say that NO branch of the Armed Forces supports the concept of Space Force.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22527 on: August 12, 2018, 02:48:16 pm »

It's not violence when he's doing it. It's Red-Blooded American Justice *eagle screech*!
So, this represents Trump flip-flopping on his “both sides were violent/fucking white nationalists/there were good people on both sides” thing again, then? It’s interesting that the man who is s’posed to come up with the message really can’t stay on message.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22528 on: August 12, 2018, 02:59:58 pm »

People who like the idea of a space force:
- The Army and Navy, who will see the Air Force knocked down a peg.
- Gamer Bros
- Sexless STEM people
- People who like everything Trump does
- People who are likely to get picked by Trump to run the Space Force
- Potential new military suppliers who will get the first chance to sell to the novice Space Force requisition officers
- People who don't know much about the military or space, but are afraid of foreigners

People who dislike the idea of a space force:
- The Air Force
- NASA
- All other international space organizations
- Fiscal conservatives who actually give a damn
- Liberals

When I did a research paper on PAROS and US militarization-of-space policy, I found that it was somewhat backwards regarding the existing branches. Army, Navy and Marines (and presumably Coast Guard) WANT the US to sign onto PAROS and keep space a demilitarized zone because they are incredibly dependent on satellite-based resources and would prefer those not get shot down in the middle of a knife fight.

The Air Force was the only branch in favor, though that was with the idea that the Air Force would be the one running the show. I doubt they'd be as excited about a separate branch getting the job. So I think you can reliably say that NO branch of the Armed Forces supports the concept of Space Force.

You're the expert, then. I was just spitballing. I think it might be necessary to break it down by rank -- officers are probably more educated but also more committed to the organization than a private is.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22529 on: August 12, 2018, 03:01:22 pm »

Coast Guard Gang strikes again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1500 1501 [1502] 1503 1504 ... 3567