Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235365 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22425 on: August 10, 2018, 10:34:16 am »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/us/new-mexico-compound-georgia-wahaj.html

Well, at least it wasn't video games.
Pfft...obviously they're LARPing a game of Cataclysm:DDA.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22426 on: August 10, 2018, 10:43:40 am »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22427 on: August 10, 2018, 11:03:45 am »

Considering Shapiro's "interview" style, I don't blame her for the analogy. Of course, he's still going to twist this as a "victory against libcucks" but I applaud her for not entertaining his request.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22428 on: August 10, 2018, 11:28:44 am »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/us/new-mexico-compound-georgia-wahaj.html

Well, at least it wasn't video games.
Pfft...obviously they're LARPing a game of Cataclysm:DDA.
DARPing: Dead Action RolePlaying.

Considering Shapiro's "interview" style, I don't blame her for the analogy. Of course, he's still going to twist this as a "victory against libcucks" but I applaud her for not entertaining his request.
I'm kinda inclined to imagine that he'd expected this kind of response, just so he could yell about it without the inconvenient interruptions of another person.

It's still a pretty catty statement to make though.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22429 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:34 am »

idk I think drawing comparisons between inviting someone to a debate and sexual harassment is a little much. Especially when, apparently, Ocasio-Cortez was putting out statements that no conservatives wanted to talk to/debate/argue with her.

Of course, he's still going to twist this as a "victory against libcucks" but I applaud her for not entertaining his request.

AFAIK from listening to him very infrequently, he's not the type to make that kind of statement. Considering how often he mocks alt-right type people on his show, i'd be surprised if he went that route.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22430 on: August 10, 2018, 11:51:19 am »

Really? People are going to complain about Cortez' tweet? After Trump, I don't want to hear about decorum unless a democrat takes a crap directly onto the opponent's podium.

RE: NASA

Now, back to the point I was going to make, it's pretty clear why Trump is so enthusiastic about his space force:

People who like the idea of a space force:
- The Army and Navy, who will see the Air Force knocked down a peg.
- Gamer Bros
- Sexless STEM people
- People who like everything Trump does
- People who are likely to get picked by Trump to run the Space Force
- Potential new military suppliers who will get the first chance to sell to the novice Space Force requisition officers
- People who don't know much about the military or space, but are afraid of foreigners

People who dislike the idea of a space force:
- The Air Force
- NASA
- All other international space organizations
- Fiscal conservatives who actually give a damn
- Liberals

Everyone else doesn't really care.

Trump knows that all the people who oppose this idea already don't like him, and it'll strengthen his connection to some of his biggest supporters. It's win/not-lose.

In this reading, Trump never ended his campaign. He's not good at legislating, so he focuses on campaigning to the exclusion of everything else. Come to think of it, that explains a lot of his other actions. Appointing his incompetent supporters to cabinet positions they are anti-qualified for? Everyone who likes it is already a supporter, and everyone who hates it is already a lost cause.

It's not a complicated strategy, but it works.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22431 on: August 10, 2018, 12:04:27 pm »

Really? People are going to complain about Cortez' tweet? After Trump, I don't want to hear about decorum unless a democrat takes a crap directly onto the opponent's podium

I didn't vote for trump though, does that mean I get to keep bitching?

edit: wait sorry I forgot I voted third party which means I voted for trump and clinton i'll stop bitching then

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22432 on: August 10, 2018, 12:09:53 pm »

Given that Shapiro said that the only question wanted to ask was 'name one thing you wouldn't nationalize and why' (or something like that), which does sound somewhat baity, it's not clear that he would actually debate in good faith and not do it just to 'troll the libs'.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22433 on: August 10, 2018, 12:23:24 pm »

I agree with PTTG's hypothesis regarding the Space Force.

Presidents have been pulling public stunts like that for basically forever, I think Trump has no idea how to run anything and considers the Presidency a popularity contest.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22434 on: August 10, 2018, 12:25:24 pm »

Presidents have been pulling public stunts like that for basically forever, I think Trump has no idea how to run anything and considers the Presidency a popularity contest.
Yeahhh. I feel bad because I *know* it's just a publicity stunt, and I don't want to militarize space, but NASA's budget is so goddamn tiny it makes me angry. and lowers the chance I could get a job there.

Yeah, I know it would supplant NASA.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22435 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:37 pm »

I feel like the general result will be a bunch of people studying space but pretending it was for nonexistant military purposes, and then the next President will just be like no guys, nothing really changed, and then they'll turn it back to NASA.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22436 on: August 10, 2018, 12:30:40 pm »

"name one thing you wouldn't nationalize" is incredibly loaded as a question. It's like asking "name a specific day of the week where you wouldn't beat your wife."

The worst thing you could do is answer the question as stated "The one thing I wouldn't nationalize is ... xxx". Shapiro's clearly been around long enough to know that answering a question like that is prime material for sound bites and political attack adverts.

It's important with questions like that to never repeat any of the key words of the interviewer back at them, because if you do that they can probably cut your words up to make it sound like they're your ideas.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22437 on: August 10, 2018, 12:41:54 pm »

Yeah, it may work for campaigning, but how well it actually works as far as actually trying to govern is another matter entirely. He also has the benefit of Republicans willing to do his every bidding.

Yeahhh. I feel bad because I *know* it's just a publicity stunt, and I don't want to militarize space, but NASA's budget is so goddamn tiny it makes me angry. and lowers the chance I could get a job there.

Yeah, I know it would supplant NASA.
I feel like the general result will be a bunch of people studying space but pretending it was for nonexistant military purposes, and then the next President will just be like no guys, nothing really changed, and then they'll turn it back to NASA.

Eh? I haven't heard anybody saying that it would replace NASA. The whole idea of a Space Force still needs funding approval from Congress in fisical year 2020 (a Presidential election year no less!)[url]. It doesn't seem like there would be a split along partisan lines and it certainly won't become a major election issue in 2020, so, it's not clear how it would split among Democrats.

"name one thing you wouldn't nationalize" is incredibly loaded as a question. It's like asking "name a specific day of the week where you wouldn't beat your wife."

The worst thing you could do is answer the question as stated "The one thing I wouldn't nationalize is ... xxx". Shapiro's clearly been around long enough to know that answering a question like that is prime material for sound bites and political attack adverts.

It's important with questions like that to never repeat any of the key words of the interviewer back at them, because if you do that they can probably cut your words up to make it sound like they're your ideas.

Good reason for Ocaisio-Cortez to not do the interview, though she could have pointed out that it was a loaded question and called it out for the bait that it is rather than compare it to catcalling.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22438 on: August 10, 2018, 12:45:37 pm »

Good reason for Ocaisio-Cortez to not do the interview, though she could have pointed out that it was a loaded question and called it out for the bait that it is rather than compare it to catcalling.

I find people usually mean "this is absurd on this level with this other absurd thing" or "I hate this thing as much as I hate this other thing", and then only afterwards realize they just compared being cut off in traffic to rape or some such.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22439 on: August 10, 2018, 12:46:54 pm »

The rank and file Air Force I know personally (4 I've talked to with a 5th I can guess their lean) (including a couple that currently work with/for space command) mostly like the idea. They see it as a way to basically either Get their funding back away from sats so they can buy more planes. Or not have to share their sat funds with fighter jocks. I think they're assuming that they'll just basically leave the air force funding more or less where it's at and give the space force a new budget around the same level.

Which obviously isn't going to happen... but it's a nice thought and I can't blame them for wanting to see it in that light.

We REALLY need to just figure out how to get along in the space sector and work together internationally. The ISS was a great start to that. Almost every scientific space mission that goes up these days is a cooperative effort between two or more countries. The ISS is still, despite friction, a solid example of how Russia can work together with the rest of the world. China has made strides, but they still insist on doing things that are problematic. (Including dropping spent rocket stages on populated areas, wtf, China?) If we could convince them to play by the rules and work together, we could do great things as a planet. There's benefits to going at the space thing alone, but there are also downsides, including a duplication of effort and the possibility of someone making an easily correctable mistake and ruining it for everyone else.

Not sure how that'll happen though, short of dropping Matt Damon on Mars and challenging everyone to get him back. Assuming anyone actually wants Matt Damon back.
Pages: 1 ... 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 ... 3567