Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 [1478] 1479 1480 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229009 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22155 on: July 31, 2018, 03:02:39 pm »

"A dangerous movement, undetected by many, is now challenging and eroding our great tradition of religious freedom," Sessions said in his speech. "There can be no doubt. This is no little matter. It must be confronted and defeated."

I got your back guys, I can see it and I’ll stop ‘em, goddamn it.

I feel the only thing missing is the sandwich board with “GOD LOVES YOU” on one side and a dead foetus on the other.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22156 on: July 31, 2018, 03:07:05 pm »

You know what enabled that?

The last cake-scapade. The SCOTUS found that the the entirety of the state courts was outright discriminatory and outwardly hostile, thereby "justifying" the creation of this department that will certainly not be used to police people religious beliefs in the future, no sir.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22157 on: July 31, 2018, 03:27:07 pm »

The last cake-scapade. The SCOTUS found that the the entirety of the state courts was outright discriminatory and outwardly hostile, thereby "justifying" the creation of this department that will certainly not be used to police people religious beliefs in the future, no sir.
Yeah.  Technically they only found that a state court was being unfair (again, made no constitutional decision on the bakery's decision).

Which is a valid (in SS13 terms) reason to chip further away at the church/state barrier.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22158 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:51 pm »

Dividends are only one means of getting value from shares. Another one is that shares tend to value ahead of inflation. A good spread of shares is overall better than a bank balance in maintaining value, which is why people get shares.
As these were Employee Stock Purchases, we got them at a 'discount' of the face value, based upon according to min_value(some_applicable_period) and so long as the company did not tank, we'd profit from their sale as soon as we were permitted.

Meanwhile, the company generates a 'demand' for the shares (which the balance needed to discount them not wiping out the advantages), guarantees the employees reinvest in the company with 'their' money before it even gets onto the more obvious taxable end of the paycheck (the Capital Gains, or similar, hit is taken upon cashing in, which the company doesn't care about and the employee hardly cares for because "hey, free money!", whether or not it actually is) and the employee is obviously already on-script with the whole Defered Gratification thing.

Because of specifically trying to use rules intended to promote investment, there's probably less tax (highly depending upon overall tax bracket) going to the government so maybe there is Free Money, for thr shrewder elements (the company, or else it wouldn't contemplate doing it - and an employee who does more than just dumbly receive their entitlement and redeem it ASAP can perhaps also benefit by tweaking things, though few will be as clever/lucky as it would be possible to be).

Oversees employees (such as I was) also have to think about the exchange rate at a given time. Salary (fixed) in pounds is shaved off to pay for dollar-amount shares (luckmof the draw!) but then thr cashing in can be better timed, not only for company performance (avoiding the common employee sell-off window, as there's amslight dip) but also for USD=>GBP, or whatever is relevent, which can be turbulent at times. Oh, and you have to deal with local Revenue rules on share profits, or just keep under the radar.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22159 on: July 31, 2018, 04:24:15 pm »

...The hell, Jeff? Religious rights were and are still being upheld. Just because some people are not allowed to practice the parts of Christianity that affect others negatively, impinging on their religious rights, does not mean Christians are being prosecuted. And I'm speaking from experience, especially considering "Christian" is considered status quo alongside "white" and "male" in most communities even though they are losing the majority (and likely plurality).

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22160 on: July 31, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »

That might be the proximal cause, but you could go back as far as Docetism to find what enabled their overarching need to feel persecuted, which in turn enables the kind of worldview that gives them hurt fee-fees at having to admit nonbelievers exist.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22161 on: July 31, 2018, 05:08:14 pm »

...The hell, Jeff? Religious rights were and are still being upheld. Just because some people are not allowed to practice the parts of Christianity that affect others negatively, impinging on their religious rights, does not mean Christians are being prosecuted. And I'm speaking from experience, especially considering "Christian" is considered status quo alongside "white" and "male" in most communities even though they are losing the majority (and likely plurality).

Yeah, I am super fucking upset about this bullshit. Goddamn fucking Christains are oppressed? After 45 fucking Christain presidents? Are you fucking serious?! ARGH. Anyway, ignore me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22162 on: July 31, 2018, 05:18:56 pm »

I don't know the best way to agree.
It's almost like we're a minority living in a state which is theoretically fair, but still has many nonsecular laws.

Kinda like being a racial minority, but without any of the automatic Liberal defense...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22163 on: July 31, 2018, 05:36:03 pm »

Don't agree. Because the NSA will put you on the same watchlist as me. They'll track you and record you and destroy you if necessary. Because American Freedom*. American Rights*.

I'm so sick of this fucking country.

*(Only applicable to white, male Christians of voting age)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22164 on: July 31, 2018, 07:22:04 pm »

Can't wait to watch the moral, ethical and logical tap dancing going on during the unequal enforcement of their mandate. It will come to a head when two opposed religious organizations come head to head demanding "protection" and the Jesus Police eventually have to tip their hand and side with their constituency.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22165 on: July 31, 2018, 07:34:15 pm »

Can't wait to watch the moral, ethical and logical tap dancing going on during the unequal enforcement of their mandate. It will come to a head when two opposed religious organizations come head to head demanding "protection" and the Jesus Police eventually have to tip their hand and side with their constituency.

HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED we enabled religious discrimination so we could discriminate against OTHER RELIGIONS this is NOT WHAT WE ORDERED and there was NO WAY we could have foreseen this.

~Way too many Christians in a decade or so
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22166 on: July 31, 2018, 09:12:09 pm »

Of course, this makes me quietly hope for the next depression to come soon and do exactly that, which is probably not good. My dislike of corporations borders on the sadistic and sociopathic... or I suppose whatever term would cover gleefully cutting off your nose to spite your face, cheering as it winces and cries in pain. Or something like that.
Dislike of an alien entity exerting influence over the nation you live in while often doing things which directly screw you over because it has goals utterly unlike any rational person would ever hold isn't sociopathic, it's sane in fact.

We invented artificial intelligence centuries ago and only recently noticed and gave them personhood, but the term damn well covers far too many human beings, it definitely shouldn't be so broad as to include our alien conqueror corporations.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22167 on: July 31, 2018, 09:57:20 pm »

The only thing that's going to pull America out of the shitter is someone coming through and kicking corporations in the fucking teeth, a-la Teddy Roosevelt. There has to be a point where the threat of corporations taking their business elsewhere has to be overruled by the threat of a company's net worth hitting a trillion dollars, what the fuck???? It's getting so fucking inane it hurts.

Idk, I'm becoming increasingly exasperated with the leadership at the top levels of our government, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that someone needs to do something about it. Either someone who both parties respect enough that they can get something done, or someone who the people love enough that they can reorganize shit to work more smoothly. If something doesn't happen soon...

I'd be more inclined to agree with the Christian right if I was sure that all they wanted was to practice their religion in peace. Unfortunately, I've seen enough fucking mindbending leaps of logic to know that there's an absolute irrational hatred of designated "other" groups right now in the christian right; it's stoked by decades of gerrymandering to favor extremism and fueling by politicians seeking an easy route to state and national positions.

I'm very cynical about what might happen in the next few years. Either there's gonna be a lot of violence, or - even worse - there won't be, and we'll just be ground into nothing as a people. My own intentions during this period i'll leave unstated. I have a career to think about, after all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22168 on: August 01, 2018, 01:19:29 am »

Idk, I'm becoming increasingly exasperated with the leadership at the top levels of our government, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that someone needs to do something about it. Either someone who both parties respect enough that they can get something done, or someone who the people love enough that they can reorganize shit to work more smoothly. If something doesn't happen soon...

Expecting a "someone" to come along and fix things is unrealistic. It's usually how you end up with dictators, not saviors.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22169 on: August 01, 2018, 01:22:18 am »

Expecting a "someone" to come along and fix things is unrealistic. It's usually how you end up with dictators, not saviors.

Which is why we turn to a something
Pages: 1 ... 1476 1477 [1478] 1479 1480 ... 3567