Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1452 1453 [1454] 1455 1456 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223593 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21795 on: July 17, 2018, 12:13:48 pm »

Are Trumps relations with Putin are that out of line for an American President?

I fail too see how his behavior is much worse than Obama's "reset" with the very same dictator right after invasion into Georgia.  Can you imagine the level of media reaction if Trump said something like "reset"?

I can say the same about Bush inviting Putin to his ranch soon after Putin killed tens of thousands in Chechnya. Imagine Trump inviting Putin to one of his golf courses.

Well, Putin had not attacked America then.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21796 on: July 17, 2018, 12:44:53 pm »

Are Trumps relations with Putin are that out of line for an American President?

I fail too see how his behavior is much worse than Obama's "reset" with the very same dictator right after invasion into Georgia.  Can you imagine the level of media reaction if Trump said something like "reset"?

I can say the same about Bush inviting Putin to his ranch soon after Putin killed tens of thousands in Chechnya. Imagine Trump inviting Putin to one of his golf courses.
The part that's weird to me is the seeming subcontracting of national gov. duties to Russia. Jokingly or not, it was weird when Trump offered to let Russia question their own intelligence officers in exchange for... Them questioning ours?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21797 on: July 17, 2018, 01:10:45 pm »

The part that's weird to me is the seeming subcontracting of national gov. duties to Russia. Jokingly or not, it was weird when Trump offered to let Russia question their own intelligence officers in exchange for... Them questioning ours?

That part was chilling, yeah. "Whataboutism" has been applied to a lot of things with varying accuracy, but it is normal Russian practice to respond to any accusation of covert malfeasance on their part with two things: a demand to know what can be proven and a suggestion that the accuser is doing the same thing to them. They did that witj the 2016 hacks, actually. "We have noticed similar activity on our networks." Putin's offer was just another form of that.

In other words, Russia wants as a matter of grand strategy to legitimize the tactics by which they maintain their oligarchy so as to avoid future things like the Magnitsky Act, and Trump is now selling their moral equivalence narrative as best he can.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21798 on: July 17, 2018, 03:20:12 pm »

I am suddenly reminded of the last 50~ years of the Roman Empire, with all the corruption and stuff.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21799 on: July 17, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »

I am suddenly reminded of the last 50~ years of the Roman Empire, with all the corruption and stuff.

Really? Trump reminds me more of Caligula.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21800 on: July 17, 2018, 03:43:58 pm »

“I don’t see any reason why it would be Russia”
Trump admits he does not understand Russia's incentives for interfering with US elections.

“I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia”
Trump admits he does not understand the harm in Russia interfering with US elections.

Either way, it's bad. the would/wouldn't is not the problem with this sentence; the problem is the 'I don't see', in which Trump professes his own ignorance. Understanding the situation is pretty much the absolute first step in figuring out how to deal with it properly.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21801 on: July 17, 2018, 03:45:59 pm »

No, he's much more 'corrupt reprehensible piece of shit exploiting the shit system' than 'insane but crafty sociopath having a lark'.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21802 on: July 17, 2018, 03:56:07 pm »

No, he's much more 'corrupt reprehensible piece of shit exploiting the shit system' than 'insane but crafty sociopath having a lark'.

I seem to recall Caligula being sort of ok until he got super sick for like months and came out of it with some manner of sociopathic insanity.

But the "does some ok things and then immediately goes batshit evil" does have a Trump-ish ring to it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21803 on: July 18, 2018, 06:52:03 am »

Clinton redefined the meaning of "is". Trump redefined the meaning of "would".

Checkmate, atheists.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21804 on: July 18, 2018, 06:53:16 am »

Obama redefined the meaning of "thanks"
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21805 on: July 18, 2018, 10:38:37 am »

He's going after the blacks now too?
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21806 on: July 18, 2018, 11:56:19 am »

?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21807 on: July 18, 2018, 11:59:44 am »

Do you think those two posts are in any way related to each other?

The first one is a "thanks Obama" joke.

Yes. The second is a Monte Negro - Black Mountain joke.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21808 on: July 18, 2018, 12:09:35 pm »

The hell is a montynegro
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21809 on: July 18, 2018, 12:16:06 pm »

Does it really?

I can't remember the last 50 years of the Roman Empire, so that's an actual question, mind. Didn't they put a child in power at the end?

?
Montenegro literally means "black mountains". The origin of the name is apparently Venetian. It's native name is Crna Gora, which means the same thing.

BTW, I'm going to get back to you UrbanGiraffe, writing just takes a while.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1452 1453 [1454] 1455 1456 ... 3566