Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1419 1420 [1421] 1422 1423 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227703 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21300 on: June 27, 2018, 03:12:07 pm »

Democrats are in a worse position on this though.

I would still go total war, personally. Republicans set the precedent, not one step back.

Coming right after the public sector unions decision too, what a noble bunch of political jackoffs.
And according to Fox News, people have already set their sights on Roe V. Wade, which is a personal priority for Pence as well.

I also hope the slowdowning happens. Granted, this is because I don't like who Trump/Pence would appoint. I forget how the supreme Court works with 8 justices. Even though it was recent. They run basically as normal, right?

If you count the SCOTUS being deadlocked 4-4 (or otherwise punting) on anything remotely controversial or politically polarized as normal, then yes. However, that's with the current makeup of the court, if one of the liberal Justices retires/dies, then it'd be 3-5.

I've heard those rumors about aiming for Roe vs Wade as well. Not surprising given how big of a conservative priority it is.

hard to see a way out for them with this timing tbh. whole nomination process will be happening in august/september/october most likely since the retirement is july 31st. there are so many bases loaded in red states that if all of the red state dems don't vote in favor they're probably going to have hell to pay with their voting base and not enough time to sweep it away, and a number of those races are already tossup at best. hard to go home to a 20+ trump margin state and defend refusing to vote for a conservative justice

Yeah, definetly problematic for them, but there are the moderate Republicans who are pro-choice who could give McConnell trouble.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21301 on: June 27, 2018, 03:14:08 pm »

Yeah, definetly problematic for them, but there are the moderate Republicans who are pro-choice who could give McConnell trouble.
Hmmmmmmm.

Maybe I'm not giving credit where it's due, but things have been very party over ideology lately.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21302 on: June 27, 2018, 03:20:31 pm »

The thing is that Kennedy's seat will be far more consequential than replacing Scalia as they were just replacing a conservative with a conservative. Besides, they're still down one Senator as John McCain is still dealing with cancer and he might be back in time for a vote on it or might not. Even THEN, they still have a thin margin where they can't afford to lose anybody.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21303 on: June 27, 2018, 03:54:19 pm »

Coverage of the Cortez election is outright alarming. The news is acting like this is a major failure for the Democrats, when this sort of shift is exactly what the party needs to move forward.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21304 on: June 27, 2018, 04:00:43 pm »

Coverage of the Cortez election is outright alarming. The news is acting like this is a major failure for the Democrats, when this sort of shift is exactly what the party needs to move forward.

It's exactly what the party needs to move forward in a direction you like. Right now there are as many confidently asserted visions of the future of the Democratic Party as there are Democrats and most of them are mutually exclusive.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21305 on: June 27, 2018, 04:11:18 pm »

I haven't seen it being hyped up that much. Yeah, comparisons to 2014 abound due to knocking out one of the top Dems, but there isn't a Democrat version of the Tea Party happening or it's in it's earliest stages.

It's an early warning signal that the Democrats need to move forward, I agree.

It's exactly what the party needs to move forward in a direction you like. Right now there are as many confidently asserted visions of the future of the Democratic Party as there are Democrats and most of them are mutually exclusive.

Yeah, that's the problem the Democrats are still trying to figure out. It probably won't get much clarification until 2020 since most things are in the context of simply opposing Trump right now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21306 on: June 27, 2018, 05:10:45 pm »

True, but very few people are chanting "No Medical Care! More Old White Men!" Maybe it's just because the cadence sucks.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21307 on: June 27, 2018, 06:35:47 pm »

True, but very few people are chanting "No Medical Care! More Old White Men!" Maybe it's just because the cadence sucks.
Old men, running the world. A new age!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21308 on: June 27, 2018, 06:45:45 pm »

Try the removal of every right short of 1950, and whole new forms of oppression as well.

This is just...annihilating. Whole decades were lost today.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21309 on: June 27, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »

Are you guys not feeling stressed enough today? Here you go. I was worried you hadn't gotten your daily allotment yet. Keep in mind that every single one of these people is itching to remove your liver and slurp it up noisily over a copy of Mein Kampf.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trumps-supreme-court-list/
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21310 on: June 27, 2018, 06:57:33 pm »

Try the removal of every right short of 1950, and whole new forms of oppression as well.

Yayyyyyy
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21311 on: June 27, 2018, 07:03:07 pm »

And no one in my family can figure out why I'm depressed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21312 on: June 27, 2018, 07:28:30 pm »

I'm.... not as worried as all that, though I am worried. It's the GOP, so they are probably just going to go HARDLINE REPEAL OF EVERYTHING and accomplish basically nothing.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21313 on: June 27, 2018, 07:28:46 pm »

Are you guys not feeling stressed enough today? Here you go. I was worried you hadn't gotten your daily allotment yet. Keep in mind that every single one of these people is itching to remove your liver and slurp it up noisily over a copy of Mein Kampf.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trumps-supreme-court-list/

At least they're all actual judges? At least he wasn't like "Judges, pfffttt. The Courts should be run EVEN MORE like a business. Here, let me put the CEO of a Phillipines Shoe Manufacturing plant in the Supreme Court."

That said, what is it I don't know about those names?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:31:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21314 on: June 27, 2018, 07:29:55 pm »

At least they're all actual judges? At least he wasn't like "Judges, pfffttt. The Courts should be run EVEN MORE like a business. Here, let me put the CEO of a Phillipines Shoe Manufacturing plant in the Supreme Court.

That said, what is it I don't know about those names?

CNN has some thoughts and details.

They do not all sound awful.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/27/politics/trump-supreme-court-names/index.html
Pages: 1 ... 1419 1420 [1421] 1422 1423 ... 3566