Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228463 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20760 on: June 11, 2018, 11:04:17 pm »

And Trump has said that he didn't want it to be a glorified photo-op. Also, this is supposed to be the start of some sort of process or something, so, it remains to be seen where this goes.

It is not off to a fantastic start. Per CNN: "The US largely agreed to North Korea's demands for parity in all aspects of the summit, from the number of officials during the bilateral meetings to the number of US and North Korean flags side by side during the arrival ceremony."

They wanted legitimacy, and they got it with very little work.

Trump: "My opinion is the only one that matters!!!!!!!11!!1!1!"

Though yes, NK is getting what they wanted with few concessions on their part.

There's a real chance Trump just gives them whatever they ask for in exchange for a "win" he can sell at home. He tends to be more friendly with our enemies...

There won't actually be anything decided in this summit as it's pretty literally a meet-and-greet, but I agree, theres a real chance that Trump will just try anything for a win as he is pretty desperate for one to prove himself.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20761 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:14 pm »

Apparently they're signing something. No agreement is known to have been reached, let alone vetted, but hey, what's the worst that could happen?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20762 on: June 11, 2018, 11:51:35 pm »

Trump probably asked Kim for an autograph for his grandchildren, that's all.
'can you please sign this nuclear football for my grandkids?'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20763 on: June 12, 2018, 12:08:45 am »

That's not far from the truth. They're signing an agreement to acknowledge the talks. Not that they did anything specific, just that they had a good talk and want to talk some more.

Which they presumably will, this being day 1 of the summit. So hey, mission accomplished, and Trump has a nice piece of paper to rip up dramatically when he gets home.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20764 on: June 12, 2018, 12:15:56 am »

Apparently they're signing something. No agreement is known to have been reached, let alone vetted, but hey, what's the worst that could happen?

This kind of summit, let alone an agreement that gets signed is usually done after many months or even a year+ of talks. Maybe it's going to be some sort of pledge or joint statement, but that would involve agreeing on something.

editwhiletyping: It's apparently going to be some sort of pledge to keep the momentum going..

That's not far from the truth. They're signing an agreement to acknowledge the talks. Not that they did anything specific, just that they had a good talk and want to talk some more.

That's pretty much what my link says.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20765 on: June 12, 2018, 03:28:17 am »

Totally Legal Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, Who You Should Have Known Was Evil When He Had "Gore" In His Name, Legalizes Purging Non-Republicans Off Voting Rolls

The Blue Puddle shrinks a little more every day. But keep on being Reasonable Centrists, I'm sure the public will stop being stubborn with your Rational and Enlightened Politics one of these days! Maybe if you vote for just a few ICE Death Camps Trump will let you keep the minimum wage.

This is pretty silly. So you're saying that if the GOP goes hard-right then the sensible way to fight that is by going hard-left? That doesn't in fact work, because by going off to the edge you only increase the amount of people likely to vote the other way.

You don't have to "be" a Centrist to win the center-vote. But it's the center-vote that wins you elections, doh. That's why Trump won. And you have to grab the center back to beat Trump. The Left will never vote GOP and the right will never vote Democrat. It's the middle that the fight is about.

"Fuck the people in the center" is loser speak: guaranteed loss.

EDIT: BTW one could bring up voter disenfrachisement as a counter-argument to the need to position the Democratic party to pick up the center-voters, but that is in fact a pretty shoddy argument. Limiting oneself to doubling-down on only appealing the hardcore of the most hardcore left-liberal supporters of the party isn't going to help with that at all, and is in fact all the more reason to expand the support base of the party.

The GOP has pulled harder and harder to the right for a long time.  Their pull has managed to drag the entire political spectrum of the USA along with them.  What people like me and MSH hear when there's talk about appealing to the center is abandoning all of our political beliefs almost completely, except for identity politics.  Maybe if there had been some harder pull to the left all these years, the center wouldn't have been sucked into the right's gravity well.

And in my opinion, that gravity well is a product of their willingness to fully engage their crazy.  They expose the public to candid discussion of their ideas long before those ideas are feasible.  Over time, exposure to those ideas gets normalized and evolve into the new GOP standard, while the old GOP standard becomes the new center according to how cultural perception works.

Then in comparison, Democrats flatly state to large sections of their voter base that their interests are too far from the center to be feasible, and do everything they can to get people to stop talking about them.  Is it really so difficult to see how we've got to where we are?

But lets say we do what wins elections.  We appeal to the center as the center keeps drifting further to the right.  Does this get us anything we want in the end, besides token bodies in seats with a hollow letter next to their name?

I don't give a shit about winning elections if our explicit strategy for doing so is to continue losing ground on my political priorities, especially when we are at such an inflection point in history with the environment and technology, and see cyberpunk dystopia or global ecosystem collapse (and civilization along with it) as being what's at stake in the relatively near future.  How can it possibly make sense for me to go along with this?  They try to sell it to me as "strategic voting", but there's no strategy here for me.

But let Democrats just keep flailing in exasperation at how immature progressives are with their purity politics, and blaming them for everything bad that happens.  See how that works out for them.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:30:56 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20766 on: June 12, 2018, 03:42:34 am »

Full text of Trump-Kim agreement and Guardian's analysis of it.

Edit: My comments on the full text:
Quote from: from full text
President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
So Trump gives security guarantees for something DPRK was going to do anyway and had already pledged to do in the April 27 Panmunjom Declaration.

Then again, guarantees don't mean much either. The US can just claim that DPRK isn't keeping to its side of the (vague) deal and the (unspecified) guarantees are gone. Or the next President refuses to recognize the deal. (Think Iraq and Iran)

2. The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
Does this mean that the US will help unite the Korean Peninsula under DPRK rule?

The United States and the DPRK commit to hold follow-on negotiations led by the U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, and a relevant high-level DPRK official, at the earliest possible date, to implement the outcomes of the U.S.-DPRK summit.
So this thing that doesn't really affect the lives of average (or any) Americans (or pretty much anyone else) will be in the news for a while, pushing news about the opioid problem, gun laws/school shootings, or even the not-materializing-campaign-promise wall with Mexico to the second or third or fourth page.

So I'd say the paper's not worth very much. The only real result to me seems to be the fourth clause about recovering POW/MIA remains and repatriation of those already identified.

The Guardian's analysis seems pretty good, a worthy read.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:26:56 am by Ametsala »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20767 on: June 12, 2018, 06:20:12 am »

So I'd say the paper's not worth very much. The only real result to me seems to be the fourth clause about recovering POW/MIA remains and repatriation of those already identified.

Even this is hoping too much, I'm afraid. In the past, they've tried returning what they claimed to be the remains of specific captives that forensic analysis determined to be boxes of random bones.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20769 on: June 12, 2018, 06:57:38 am »

Or so Trump said, anyway, without consulting literally anyone else. The next round of war games are still being prepared as planned.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #20770 on: June 12, 2018, 06:59:03 am »

"South Korea contributes but not 100 per cent"

That's not how contributing works!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20771 on: June 12, 2018, 07:05:28 am »

Or so Trump said, anyway, without consulting literally anyone else. The next round of war games are still being prepared as planned.

Don't you miss the day where you could use a President's words as a rough guide of what he was going to do?

Still, if they then goes as plan and he promised Kim Jong-Un they wouldn't, that's not going to help the further negotiations with NK.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20772 on: June 12, 2018, 07:21:49 am »

Don't you miss the day where you could use a President's words as a rough guide of what he was going to do?

Still, if they then goes as plan and he promised Kim Jong-Un they wouldn't, that's not going to help the further negotiations with NK.

It may not matter, since neither leader is all that concerned with reality and both of them are primarily concerned with the appearance of progress rather than anything concrete.

Any day now Trump will announce that he convinced Kim to begin an exponential nuclear drawdown that will see his stockpiles reduced by half within 700 million years, well within the perceived length of Trump's term in office. Peace in our time.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20773 on: June 12, 2018, 07:23:53 am »

Mmmmh, I'm not so sure about Kim, I think he genuinely wants sanction relief. It's not like he has a democracy to run which needs political wins.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20774 on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:16 am »

The GOP has pulled harder and harder to the right for a long time.  Their pull has managed to drag the entire political spectrum of the USA along with them. 

Has it though? Or have the margins of politics caught the middle in a tug of war as they race to their respective extremes? If you're moving away from someone it can appear they're drifting away in the other direction, but that movement is in fact mostly, or possibly entirely you.

On a purely 2 dimensional political spectrum, averaging all other things out, the western world has in fact consistently moved leftward(With a notable exception possibly being in an economic sense. But we're still in a more left position than the pre-New Deal era). There have been periods of stagnation, and a few stumbles where a step or two might have been taken right again, but over decades, even including the Tea Party and Trump years, things are still moving left. It's just the extremists on both ends which are the loudest and most echochambery people that make it seem that way. They throw their opposite examples on their TV and in their news and in their facebook and reddit posts as examples of how the world is going to shit, but largely those are the exceptions, not the rules.
Pages: 1 ... 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 ... 3567