Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228730 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20730 on: June 11, 2018, 01:41:26 pm »

Modern farming can be knife's edge in terms of the cost of harvesting vs the profits, so without subsidies it can result in extra waste.  Subsistence farming can be made more effective by subsidies because it gives subsistence farmers purchasing power to buy tools and weather famine/unexpected expenses.  I don't think either *needs* subsidies but its a good idea; producing food internally can be a matter of national security (see: why NK's civilian economy is going to keep getting worse and worse forever, why Russia wants Ukraine so badly).

The corn subsidies in the US are awful tho.  They were intended to allow for synthetic oil production but doing so has never been efficient or cost effective.  Our massive over-production of corn has skewed US production so that starchy/processed foods are more common and cheap than they otherwise would be, contributing to the obesity epidemic.  We've also been able to export corn below cost.  Corn was a staple crop in Mexico so the subsidies put many Mexican farmers out of business, weakening their economy and contributing to the rise of the cartels in Mexico.  Part of the Bush/Cheney legacy, and now there's a corn lobby that's never going away.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20731 on: June 11, 2018, 02:00:44 pm »

A month or two back, I wrote a short, somewhat sarcastic, and silly accelerationist story where not Trump, but one of his sons (this being a decade in the future), shut down all US trade somehow and the resultant economic collapse and global hostility brought about the total collapse of civilization.

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate that Trump always manages to exceed expectations?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20732 on: June 11, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »

Hey what do you politically knowledgeable folks think about the unfolding situation in Mozambique? Apparently they are evacuating a bunch of people due to threat of imminent ethnic/religion based murder sprees?

I have a cousin over there who has confirmed that there have been massacres in villages near to (1-2 hours distant from) where he is staying.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20733 on: June 11, 2018, 04:42:16 pm »

Hey what do you politically knowledgeable folks think about the unfolding situation in Mozambique?

I think it's a pretty good reason to have an African politics thread, frankly.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20734 on: June 11, 2018, 04:45:48 pm »

We have one lying in dormancy, I think.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20735 on: June 11, 2018, 05:13:45 pm »

Totally Legal Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, Who You Should Have Known Was Evil When He Had "Gore" In His Name, Legalizes Purging Non-Republicans Off Voting Rolls

The Blue Puddle shrinks a little more every day. But keep on being Reasonable Centrists, I'm sure the public will stop being stubborn with your Rational and Enlightened Politics one of these days! Maybe if you vote for just a few ICE Death Camps Trump will let you keep the minimum wage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20736 on: June 11, 2018, 05:34:07 pm »

Hey what do you politically knowledgeable folks think about the unfolding situation in Mozambique? Apparently they are evacuating a bunch of people due to threat of imminent ethnic/religion based murder sprees?

I have a cousin over there who has confirmed that there have been massacres in villages near to (1-2 hours distant from) where he is staying.

Keep in mind, the only way the US "helps" in this sort of situation is to drone everyone and let god sort it out.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20737 on: June 11, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »

The Blue Puddle shrinks a little more every day. But keep on being Reasonable Centrists, I'm sure the public will stop being stubborn with your Rational and Enlightened Politics one of these days! Maybe if you vote for just a few ICE Death Camps Trump will let you keep the minimum wage.

Keep on telling everyone else how stupid they are with all the caustic sarcasm you can muster. I'm sure you'll be relevant one day.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20738 on: June 11, 2018, 05:47:23 pm »

Keep in mind, the only way the US "helps" in this sort of situation is to drone everyone and let god sort it out.

Yeah, how exactly would we be able to help? Most likely something could be done through the UN, but Trump would have to actually care or pay attention to it, and we all know how he called poor countries 'shithole countries'.

Anyhow, countdown to Trump's so called 'first minute' when he can 'tell whether Kim is serious or not' or something. Also, shades of Bush looking Putin in the eyes and declaring him a good and trustworthy guy here...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20739 on: June 11, 2018, 06:07:44 pm »

US embassy is apparently involved in telling people to GTFO, figured it was at least tangentially related. :3

I wonder we will have another refugee situation on our hands soon.

Keep on telling everyone else how stupid they are with all the caustic sarcasm you can muster. I'm sure you'll be relevant one day.

Now now let's not get all shouty at each other. Also, Metal, I see you edited your link to add "non-republican", I guess... what, for shock value? That law looks like it very clearly targets, if anyone, indiscriminate people who was unable/unwilling to get to the voting booth last election.

Here are some excerpts from the actual text of the ruling.

The Ohio process at issue relies on the failure to vote for two years as a rough way
of identifying voters who may have moved. It sends these nonvoters
a preaddressed, postage prepaid return card, asking them to verify
that they still reside at the same address. Voters who do not return
the card and fail to vote in any election for four more years are presumed
to have moved and are removed from the rolls.
Ohio’s removal process follows subsection (d) to the letter: It
does not remove a registrant on change-of-residence grounds unless
the registrant is sent and fails to mail back a return card and then
fails to vote for an additional four years. See §20507(d)(1)(B). Pp. 8–
respondents argue that Ohio’s process violates
subsection (b)’s Failure-to-Vote Clause by using a person’s failure to
vote twice over: once as the trigger for sending return cards and
again as one of the two requirements for removal.
The NVRA contains no “reliable indicator” prerequisite to
sending notices, requiring States to have good information that
someone has moved before sending them a return card. So long as
the trigger for sending such notices is “uniform, nondiscriminatory,
and in compliance with the Voting Rights Act,” §20507(b)(1), States
may use whatever trigger they think best, including the failure to
vote.
...the NVRA requires States to
“conduct a general program that makes a reasonable effort
to remove the names” of voters who are ineligible “by
reason of ” death or change in residence.

TLDR, sort of: They can remove you from the voting list if they notice that you haven't voted in 2 years and ALSO don't respond to their checks via mail that you are still alive and/or have not moved from the residence they have on file. Ergo if you don't vote you will get a card to return in the mail asking you if you died or moved. If you don't reply to THAT, and of note is the specific stipulation that such notices must be non-discriminatory, you risk being removed from the voter list and presumably need to re-register in your area. Not voting is a red flag that makes them check on you, and it's clearly stated that they CANNOT remove you based simply on a failure to vote. They are REQUIRED to have a comparable program in place according to this.

I'm not sure about Ohio, but in VA I moved close to election season for the Trump/Hillary election. I didn't realize I needed to re-register until I tried to vote in the wrong district. I was able to do so within a week, and still vote.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20740 on: June 11, 2018, 06:16:17 pm »

"Sir, SIR, you cannot use ICE to sell immigrant children to sex traffickers, SIR, Mr. President, the respectability of the office is at stake, see reason at last and become the man you're meant to be, and that's why I'm voting for this bill. Not for him, but for America."

I'm sure all the thousands of people only in predominantly black neighborhoods who needed to be removed from voting records right before the 2016 election's registration period had past was a wholly neutral administrative application. I literally listened to the emergency judicial proceedings as I drove to my election night meetup.

Silly folk should have listened to the clear warnings I'm sure they all received in good faith. If only we had some sort of test to ensure that uneducated voters couldn't corrupt our republic with their ballots.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20741 on: June 11, 2018, 06:23:48 pm »

I mean, do we have data showing that they sent those predominantly black neighborhoods a bunch of voting cards right before the election, and that they didn't send them back and/or didn't really send them in the first place?

Because if they did that, knowing they were still there, it's not a problem with this existing system but instead of the folks in charge ignoring that system to prevent black folks from voting. Since this ruling specifically makes note in multiple places that such measures MUST be non-discriminatory, it seems like a blow against such behavior in the future.

I would think that if such clear data exists that almost any civil rights group would have taken it to the courts. The ruling implies that they looked into such claims and found them to have been non-discriminatory, but I of course have no info to show how reliable that might have been. (If you do, I'm very interested, I'm not entrenched here, just reading the ruling itself).

"Sir, SIR, you cannot use ICE to sell immigrant children to sex traffickers, SIR, Mr. President, the respectability of the office is at stake, see reason at last and become the man you're meant to be, and that's why I'm voting for this bill. Not for him, but for America."

There is undoubtedly a very desperate and very frustrated aide in the WH who uses this exact tactic and phrasing to try and deal with Trump's various ravings.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20742 on: June 11, 2018, 07:09:46 pm »

Heh, the Democrats are so desperate for messaging help that they are looking to Hollywood.

This paragraph just about sums up the whole problem: “One of the first things we were at least talking about in the beginning meetings was how to improve upon the message as to what does the Democratic Party stand for, what does that represent,” said Andrew Marcus, who owns the television and film company Apiary Entertainment. “When the Republican Party or [President Donald] Trump is able to say ‘Make America great again’ and nobody that I know can tell you what the DNC or any of the leading candidates’ slogans [are], I think that’s a marketing problem.”

While I don't think Hollywood is neccesarily the best place to look for messaging that will attract Trump voters since Hollywood has this disconnect with conservatives, the TV/movie/music/entertainment industry is certainly useful as an idea factory.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20743 on: June 11, 2018, 07:15:36 pm »

I think that's probably the most dangerous this for them right now, and especially going into 2020. The only real media coverage they get is "those people who oppose the GOP". Then people who are on the fence go looking for more details and run into toxic BS on social media, and get flung in the other direction. You at least have no grey area whatsoever with Trump.

I for one would be happy to see the DEMs employ almost anything that gives them a more recognizable public image.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20744 on: June 11, 2018, 07:24:11 pm »

To be fair, people on the fence would run into toxic BS for both sides on social media, we saw that in 2016.

Still though, the thing is that Trump is an expert at branding (so he claims) and knows how to manipulate all that. Well, who else is also an expert at branding and messaging? Hollywood and the TV industry in general, so, it could work.

Trump and Kim are going to meet and greet and handshake soon, can't help but wonder if Trump will do his signature 'grab and pull' handshake (for which I'm sure Kim Jong Un is prepared for) or play it cool.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:29:12 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 [1383] 1384 1385 ... 3567