Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229399 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20655 on: June 09, 2018, 07:43:14 am »

The North laughs at your preconceptions about Europe! An echoing, lonely laugh...
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20656 on: June 09, 2018, 07:51:32 am »

Unlike the smaller nations of Europe, which can manage an effective state level police force, these vastly underpopulated areas of the US cannot sustain such. (See for instance, Wyoming in the linked map. See that tiny population? Do you REALLY think they can sustain a robust state-wide police? Did not think so.)

Funny thing, Norway (which is nominally at least semi-part of Europe... It's complicated) has a lot of very rural areas, most likely spawning from the fact that Norwegians feel like they live in a crowded neighborhood if they can see another house.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

See that cluster of buildings? I think that's actually a lodge of some sort, but there are private homes in much the same style jutting out from the cliffs along that fjord, where your nearest neighbor is across the water from you (but hopefully not DIRECTLY across, because that would be just too close for comfort). The nearest population center is at the very end of the fjord, where that cruise ship's headed, about 12-13 kilometers down the line. And that's a pretty popular area, actually!

There's actually a TV series here called "Where no one would think that anyone could live", which was specifically about finding Norwegians stuck in the little crevices and cracks across the country, because the alternative was "much too crowded" (note that the capital city, the densest-populated place in the country, has a population density of 1400/km2. Compare with something like Chicago or Miami, at 4500/km2 and 4800/km2, respectively. Although Anchorage does definitely win out with 58/km2).

Up in Troms, where the moonshine flows and the women are nominally female, I got to listen to a presentation from one of the local policemen, who explained that for the officially unofficial designated area of "Inner Troms" (a several-thousand km2 area where they keep the boondocksiest elements of the region) had, at any one time, a single police car on patrol. Efforts were being made to get a second car to help with the load, but funding and staffing were tight. Fun fact: Here, the common affectionate term for a buddy or pal is "horsedick", I.E. "Hey there, you old horsedick!". This has on at least one occasion caused a bit of a kerfuffle when a northerner went south to visit more civilized lands.

There's also of course Svalbard, which is not only rural and drunk, but also just happens to have a lot of people living smack in the middle of polar bear territory. Here, due to necessity, gun laws are more lenient.

"More lenient" in this case means that individuals with a weapon ownership certificate can apply to borrow a bear defense gun from the local sheriff for a period of up to 6 months. Applications for borrowing a gun may take up to a month to fully process. Generally, weapon ownership certificates are associated with certified membership in the national fish and game organization (who have their own series of training and exams for this), but I think you can apply to get one by just providing evidence of a clean criminal record, completing some gun safety and usage classes, and maintaining a reputation for sobriety and stable mental health. Not sure on that point, as I've never personally applied (guns are FUCKING EXPENSIVE, and you can pretty much only get hunting rifles, which I'm not that interested in).

So, basically, despite being an old country with a much smaller geographic area than the US (and with a very real threat from wildlife in some areas), Norway at least doesn't necessarily stand up to the description of a "well-manned and maintained police force", while still not having a lot of guns (comparitively) even in those extra-rural areas.

All that said, my dad does still have fond memories of pissing off one of the old codgers in his area, because said codger would shoot his shotgun at the kids running around on his lawn (salt shells, which in my dad's words "Burned like hell"). But that was back in the 70's, so take it with a grain of salt.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20657 on: June 09, 2018, 08:30:50 am »

Is there really a single cop car for an area the size of Scotland/vermont? That's crazy
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20658 on: June 09, 2018, 08:41:59 am »

Is there really a single cop car for an area the size of Scotland/vermont? That's crazy

Scotland is way bigger than Vermont, but yes, I've heard ancedotial stuff like that from the Scandinavians around here. Not neccesarily Vermont size, but stuff like only one cop car for a hundred square kilometers or something like that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:44:17 am by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20659 on: June 09, 2018, 09:03:06 am »

In Sweden that's extremely common these days. Nearly all tax money goes to the big cities while the smaller ones get service after service taken away, and the catastrophic dilapidation of the police post the 2012-14 somewhere reorganisation has not helped.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20660 on: June 09, 2018, 09:12:55 am »

I managed to find a political page talking about how the conservative party had managed to attain 15 new cop cars for the entirety of Troms (some 24,000km2+), but that's just the physical cars themselves... No mention of how many more active patrolling units there would be. Also, since that's the entirety of the region, most of the efforts and resources will probably be focused on the more densely populated areas, like Tromsø and Harstad, which aren't inside of the "inner Troms" area.

And I just learned today that there's apparently a place in Troms called "Torsken", which translates to "The Cod". Norway has a lot of strange place names... Including about 20 each of "Peak", "Mountain", and "Valley"... No descriptors or anything, like "blue mountain" or "oak peak", just... "Peak".

And yes, we've got at least 3-4 different words just for "mountain".

EDIT: Oh, yes, and our cops don't have guns. It's been kind of a back-and-forth discussion for a long time whether we should equip them with sidearms or not, but pretty much every trial period attempted thus far has resulted in at least a few cops capping themselves in the foot. General consensus so far is that they can't really be trusted with dangerous machinery like that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20661 on: June 09, 2018, 09:35:19 am »

For reference, the Swedish police only have 30 000 employees (of which 10 000 are civil employees) on a 10 mil population.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20662 on: June 09, 2018, 09:38:59 am »

So... what happens if an armed criminal doesn't respond to strong words and wrestling?  Your military assists?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20663 on: June 09, 2018, 09:47:15 am »

Pepper spray and tasers and batons probably.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20664 on: June 09, 2018, 09:51:15 am »

EDIT: Oh, yes, and our cops don't have guns. It's been kind of a back-and-forth discussion for a long time whether we should equip them with sidearms or not, but pretty much every trial period attempted thus far has resulted in at least a few cops capping themselves in the foot. General consensus so far is that they can't really be trusted with dangerous machinery like that.

Don't know if it's because I'm American and thus cultural differences, but the bolded part made me lol.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20665 on: June 09, 2018, 10:07:03 am »

I believe tasers are the big thing, yes... After strong words and wrestling, that is. And the cops do pack some pretty strong words at times. Not sure if pepperspray is part of the standard kit, but batons and zappies are.

Pretty sure we have a special police element with access to (and training for) guns, but I don't think anyone trusts the national defense branch of the military with firearms. We do have some pretty damn scary professional soldiers though, I'm just not sure which battalions might potentially get called in to help deal with particularly violent issues.

Really though, the last time I can remember hearing about a gun being used in a violent crime was July 22nd, 2011. Mostly we just get stabbings and other knife-related crimes. I'm pretty sure even I would've heard about gun-related crimes popping up, despite not following any major news networks, simply because they're so rare that the media goes apeshit and jumps on it the moment something happens.

Plenty of stabbing though. The weirdest, most random stabbings.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20666 on: June 09, 2018, 10:17:41 am »

That makes sense.  I wasn't actually meaning to mock non-firearm methods (well, maybe a little), just wondering what happened in the worst cases.  It's pretty awesome how well such methods work in many countries.

Tazers are a bit dangerous in their own right, of course, though obviously less than being shot.  Maybe comparable to the mere threat of being shot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20667 on: June 09, 2018, 10:21:21 am »

Now, unfortunately American Cops (and presumably cops in other countries too) have managed to kill several people with tazers (usually handheld poker-types), but fewer than guns do.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20668 on: June 09, 2018, 10:25:57 am »

Who would have thought shooting electricity thought people could be dangerous?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20669 on: June 09, 2018, 10:39:59 am »

You literally cannot trust our police/security forces with even pepper spray.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 ... 3567