Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4233247 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20250 on: May 27, 2018, 10:53:59 pm »

It... has basically sod all to do with that, though. Same bile is being spewed towards stuff that is pretty unchallenged as accepted as art (e.g. movies/tv/etc.).

The ban it behavior is coming from a crowd looking for a scapegoat so they can continue to do bugger all about actual substantive causes of the issue in question. Something being or not being art is pretty much utterly disconnected from their thinking processes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20251 on: May 27, 2018, 10:58:13 pm »

I dunno. I would say they are quite deeply connected, just not in a readily apparent way.

Art is a means of communication, and a means to bring unpleasant or difficult subject matter to the fore.  That is exactly what a provocative title like this one is doing; Art hard at work.

Much like in the 60s, there was a lot of bruhaha over kirk kissing uhura on TV, because "WOOOOO Race relations! Whites and blacks dont mix! Wooo", the issue is mostly "I DONT WANT TO BE REMINDED OF THIS ISSUE, I WANT TO IGNORE IT AND IT WILL GO AWAY!" mindset.  This mindset is averse the the concept of artistic appreciation, because again-- art is a vehicle for the communication of difficult or abstract ideas.

So, the people shouting BAN IT!, are shouting that because they dont appreciate art, because they dont want to be reminded of this glaring problem with society at large that the art is drawing attention to.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20252 on: May 27, 2018, 11:29:29 pm »

It... has basically sod all to do with that, though. Same bile is being spewed towards stuff that is pretty unchallenged as accepted as art (e.g. movies/tv/etc.).

The ban it behavior is coming from a crowd looking for a scapegoat so they can continue to do bugger all about actual substantive causes of the issue in question. Something being or not being art is pretty much utterly disconnected from their thinking processes.

Other than in the generally irrelevant sense that they may call it "not art" as a debating tactic, yes, the two are generally unrelated.

With that said, one can imagine how the Good Guys With Guns(tm) might have an interest in finding some way to square their responsible gun ownership with the patently unacceptable frequency of gun deaths in this country -- and, moreover, for that way to justify only taking away other people's guns, if any.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:31:16 pm by Trekkin »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20253 on: May 28, 2018, 02:13:23 am »

Man, I WISH Valve was making a game again...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20254 on: May 28, 2018, 02:17:29 am »

Other than in the generally irrelevant sense that they may call it "not art" as a debating tactic, yes, the two are generally unrelated.

With that said, one can imagine how the Good Guys With Guns(tm) might have an interest in finding some way to square their responsible gun ownership with the patently unacceptable frequency of gun deaths in this country -- and, moreover, for that way to justify only taking away other people's guns, if any.
I suppose that depends on how OP the cop players are.

Anyways, Steam has all sorts of insane and/or inane shit on it, I don't really see what makes this one any different other than being particularly topically relevant.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20255 on: May 28, 2018, 02:28:51 am »

Man, I WISH Valve was making a game again...
Uh, they are? It's called Artifact.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20256 on: May 28, 2018, 02:33:07 am »

As well as not knowing how Steam works, the complainers don't know about the Streisand Effect, nor the sheer number of games released (7000 per year on Steam), nor about "indie" vs AAA developers.

Complaining about "Active Shooter" is basically free advertising guaranteed to turn an unknown game by an unknown indie developer (in fact the company statements use "I" instead of "we" which implies it's a lone developer using asset store guns and models) with zero marketing budget, into a much talked-about game.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:46:58 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20257 on: May 28, 2018, 02:38:26 am »

See: Hatred, or just look at what the negative press (and lawsuit which was unrelated and perfectly legitimate, but somehow got spun as negative press) did for the Postal games.

Or the Grand High Meme commonly known as Bad Rats, for that matter...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20258 on: May 28, 2018, 02:47:10 am »

Hatred was a dumb cash in attempt, and this might be (for all I know).
But yeah, works with actual effort behind them are still art.

For every "blank canvas on white" painting, there are people making actual statements which aren't immediately accessible.  Artists.  Game developers.
Fanfic writ- sorry :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20259 on: May 28, 2018, 02:59:00 am »

Fanfic writ- sorry :P

Were you about to say directors/producers of film adaptations that change stuff for no good reason?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20260 on: May 28, 2018, 03:16:58 am »

Not really, but Transformers makes me sad too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20261 on: May 28, 2018, 03:33:36 am »

But the director has to completely change the story so that they have some relevance to the picture / and or/ MUST have their "Artistic Vision" of the narrative!!  /s

(No, it is not enough for them to provide their expertise on cinematography, lighting, scene layout and design--- etc. No, they have to rewrite the damn base story too to suit their "vision,", even when it is a well known narrative. Yes, I am looking at YOU, hollywood for the past 2 decades.)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20262 on: May 28, 2018, 04:23:01 am »

Which is where we need to stop calling it adaptation, and start calling it what it is -- fan fiction in its most pretentious form.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20263 on: May 28, 2018, 04:26:07 am »

But the director has to completely change the story so that they have some relevance to the picture / and or/ MUST have their "Artistic Vision" of the narrative!!  /s

(No, it is not enough for them to provide their expertise on cinematography, lighting, scene layout and design--- etc. No, they have to rewrite the damn base story too to suit their "vision,", even when it is a well known narrative. Yes, I am looking at YOU, hollywood for the past 2 decades.)
2 decades? Make that 5 decades. Try comparing Disney's The Jungle Book (1967) to Kipling's Jungle Book.
Or did Disney not go through Hollywood?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20264 on: May 28, 2018, 04:52:07 am »

Yeah, you can't put a date on that, it's just more noticeable when it's recent. The Shining from 1980 and Dune from 1984 being two examples.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is another example, making numerous changes. But in that case the original book was just plain racist, so some of the changes are warranted.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:56:18 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 3567