Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1334 1335 [1336] 1337 1338 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231138 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20025 on: May 21, 2018, 06:36:32 pm »

https://instituteforenergyresearch.org/analysis/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/

On average, in 2011, nuclear power had the lowest electricity production costs at 2.10 cents per kilowatt hour, and petroleum had the highest at 21.56 cents per kilowatt hour.

First issue is that production costs do not cover the cost of the plant itself:

production costs do not include capital costs or financing charges, production costs are much lower than levelized costs. As noted above, levelized costs represent the total costs of constructing new power plants including their capital and financing charges. A new nuclear power plant, for example, has one of the highest levelized costs, particularly compared to coal and natural gas-fired plants.

Second issue is that those production costs are based on 2011 pricing, while the cost of solar fell by 85%, and wind down 66%, from 2009-2016. So the production costs of nuclear in 2011 don't include construction costs, and they're also very out of date compared to competing sources.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:17:21 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20026 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:17 pm »

...well, that said, if you build solar panels now and the price to build solar panels drops by 85% over the next 20 years, you still paid the cost of setting them up today. You're not paying the discounted costs of 20 years from now. Just a quibble.

I feel that at least some of it has to do with how well-established certain industries are, both in a sense of capitalistic pressure/support and in a sense of how much attention the field gets by prospective researchers (and grants, not to mention) in order to refine the technologies and processes involved.

Of course, for as cool as I think nuclear power is, I'd prefer solar/wind/hydro at the moment, if only because we don't really have any particularly good methods of dealing with nuclear waste products. Which bothers me. Untapped potential, I say!

As an aside, I think more of us should follow Kenya's example and just, like, burn shit.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20027 on: May 21, 2018, 07:20:01 pm »

You're not paying the discounted costs of 20 years from now.

... but you'd also then get 20 years worth of extra power out of them. So that's apples and oranges of whether you need the extra capacity now or later. If you need the additional power now, then building additional nuclear plants isn't one of your available choices to cover that.

The point is, if you need additional capacity in 20 years you plan ahead. e.g. if a nuclear plant takes 20 years and solar takes 5 years, then a fair comparison is to estimate the price to start the solar plant in 15 years vs the price to start the nuclear plant today. From a business point of view it would make no sense to base that on today's price of solar panels rather than a good projection of the price for when you actually need to purchase the parts.

Plus, if you're not spending that money for 15 years, you avoid locking up capital or taking on debt for that amount of time, all of which accrues interest. 15 years worth of compound interest saved/earned on billions of dollars works out to be a lot of money.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:51:46 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20028 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:19 pm »

I imagine the disaster with the tsunami in Japan has also dampened interest in nuclear power (much like Chernobyl did temporarily).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20029 on: May 21, 2018, 11:24:00 pm »

...well, that said, if you build solar panels now and the price to build solar panels drops by 85% over the next 20 years, you still paid the cost of setting them up today. You're not paying the discounted costs of 20 years from now. Just a quibble.

The problem with that statement is that solar panels are a effectively instantaneous investment, while nuclear plants get built over many years; if the price for concrete, etc. decreases while you're still building a plant, you can take advantage of that.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20030 on: May 22, 2018, 03:22:35 am »

The problem is that discarded solar panels are basically toxic waste. They contain lead, chromium, and cadmium, which can leach into water. Solar produces 300 times as much waste per unit energy compared to nuclear.

http://environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2017/6/21/are-we-headed-for-a-solar-waste-crisis
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:39:53 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20031 on: May 22, 2018, 03:49:32 am »

"environmentalprogress.org" is a bit suspect. One of their directors runs a group "mothers for nuclear". That got me thinking "Astroturf!" so I started going through the list of people they have working for them.

EDIT: Expanded the list. I managed to find pro-nuclear advocacy connections for 14/19 people who have photos that work there. As for the rest they are made up of a recent Berkeley graduate with a liberal arts degree (somehow, she comes in third out of 19, just after the main directors) but she looks like an American-Indian hippy girl, so she's all good, and the other four are all interns who are current students at Berkeley doing a range of generally bullshit degrees, none of which are science related. But they have, like, long hair and, like, care about the environment, and stuff, dude. So shit's all good, bro.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:56:56 am by Reelya »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20032 on: May 22, 2018, 04:56:46 am »

Yet the point remains: What do you do with all those broken solar panels? You need a whole lot of them to compete with other forms of energy.

You can recycle parts of them, but that takes energy and resources to do. It's analogous to reprocessing nuclear waste, except that's at least still energy-dense.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:01:42 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20033 on: May 22, 2018, 04:58:40 am »

I feel compelled to point out that ORDINARY SAND often contains radioactive uranium. So much so, it is the primary contributor to radon gas in basements.

If your argument is that "It contains some potentially, maybe toxic material!!", without justifying that against normal background sources (LIKE FUCKING SAND!!), then I feel a great disturbance in the force, M'Kay?

As for what you can do with the broken assed bits:

Acid wash, then recycle the silicon. 
The acid wash can go through a reclamation process.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20034 on: May 22, 2018, 05:08:04 am »

The article in question links this about recycling solar panels:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Tech-Science/Tech/Japan-tries-to-chip-away-at-mountain-of-disused-solar-panels?page=1

I guess the point being that you'd need the necessary infrastructure for recycling it all. None of this is accounted for in the current economy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:12:52 am by Bumber »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20035 on: May 22, 2018, 05:14:49 am »

I'd have to see other studies backing that one up. One's not authored by a pro-nuclear lobby group. That's my main problem, I can find other articles citing the "300 times" thing, but all of them point to Environmental Progress as being the author of the report, and many of them, I look at the name on the article, only to discover it was actually written by someone on their list of directors. e.g. one of their articles starts with a big picture pile of eWaste with a kid sitting on top of it, then slams solar. But that's not a picture of solar waste, it's general electronic waste. Then it goes on about how terrible solar is, and ends by pointing out how the poor starving orphans burn the e-waste to get copper, causing plastic fumes. But again, that's not specific to solar waste products. So they keep flipping between talking about a general eWaste problem and a solar problem, as if getting rid of solar and going nuclear solves the entire eWaste problem and saves the orphans. e.g. if we want 100% clean we wouldn't make or use anything. But of course, they're not out there campaigning against electronics in general, which make most of that e-waste-burning problem, now are they?

So sure, we need to do something about the solar waste, but EP's article just isn't something you'd put your trust in as the go-to source for unbiased information.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:26:50 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20036 on: May 22, 2018, 05:18:20 am »

Here's a quick and dirty proposal for a process to work with these panels.

Phase 1 recycling:
Dissolve metal backing: Alkaline solution soak.

Phase 2 recycling:
Separate glass from silicon, dissolve EV layers:

Soak in sealed pressure tank filled with supercritical CO2. "Pop" layers apart by rapidly releasing pressure on tank. (Rapid reduction of pressure on tank will rapidly phase-change the solvent into a gas, which will have migrated through the EVA layer through diffusion. This mechanically pries the layers apart.)
Return pressure on tank to dissolve remaining EVA.

(See useful paper: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.498.7978&rep=rep1&type=pdf)

Phase 3 recycling:
Divert saturated CO2 into reclamation system, reclaim EVA resin.
Use density based sorting to seperate glass from silicon wafer bits, recycle accordingly.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20037 on: May 22, 2018, 05:42:03 am »

edit: also a closer look at the original EP "study", and then running some rough maths myself based on their statements:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tl;dr - complete bullshit from the master bullshit artists.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:32:22 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20038 on: May 22, 2018, 09:30:06 am »

Unless it’s tangentially related to energy policy, maybe move to the engineering/tech thread? Dunno.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20039 on: May 22, 2018, 09:34:46 am »

Unless it’s tangentially related to energy policy, maybe move to the engineering/tech thread? Dunno.

Engineering thread is busy talking about octopuses though.
Pages: 1 ... 1334 1335 [1336] 1337 1338 ... 3567