Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235295 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19965 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:45 am »

Hey, been a few months. Seems there's an active shooter at some school or another in texas. Haven't seen much beyond the mention yet, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19966 on: May 18, 2018, 09:50:46 am »

Hey, been a few months. Seems there's an active shooter at some school or another in texas. Haven't seen much beyond the mention yet, but eh.
Not seen that kind of thing, yet, but someone has been acting up at a Trump property.

(And, in nicer news from New York, "a GoFundMe page has more than doubled its goal of raising $500 to send a Mexican mariachi band to Mr Schlossberg's law office. / As more money poured in on Thursday the organisers updated the page - 'mariachis for Aaron' - to say they also now plan to send a taco truck, and a piñata to his office."  :D)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:55:14 am by Starver »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19967 on: May 18, 2018, 11:04:39 am »

Supposedly a shotgun was used. That won't go well with the "Assault Weapons" lobby, especially if it's a pump-action.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19968 on: May 18, 2018, 11:19:01 am »

Supposedly a shotgun was used. That won't go well with the "Assault Weapons" lobby, especially if it's a pump-action.

Wasn’t there a smaller incident not even a week ago? Nobody died in that one though. As far as the weapon goes, people are saying it’s a shotgun, but authorities haven’t confirmed just what the exact type of gun is.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #19969 on: May 18, 2018, 11:37:22 am »

BBC news: "Santa Fe High School: Up to 10 dead in shooting".

Also "Santa Fe Police Chief Jeff Powell confirmed at a news conference that there have been explosive devices found in the high school and in areas near the high school."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:45:21 am by MorleyDev »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19970 on: May 18, 2018, 05:57:40 pm »

Though from what I've picked up so far those "explosive devices" were pipe bombs. Which are... not the most sophisticated things in the world, if still potentially pretty dangerous.

Since forgot the specifics but there was a point my dad taught me how to bash a cheap one out over the course of like a four minutes walk, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19971 on: May 18, 2018, 06:01:22 pm »

Though from what I've picked up so far those "explosive devices" were pipe bombs. Which are... not the most sophisticated things in the world, if still potentially pretty dangerous.

Since forgot the specifics but there was a point my dad taught me how to bash a cheap one out over the course of like a four minutes walk, heh.
I see your father had a similarly explosive life to mine. Apparently blowing things up was a common past time for kids before the internet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19972 on: May 18, 2018, 06:45:13 pm »

Naaah, near as I can recall the knowledge came to him due to being involved with organized crime back in his home town, heh. Might have been specifically for blowing up mailboxes, can't quite remember. Not really a common pastime thing, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19973 on: May 18, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »

Naaah, near as I can recall the knowledge came to him due to being involved with organized crime back in his home town, heh. Might have been specifically for blowing up mailboxes, can't quite remember. Not really a common pastime thing, though.

Italian? I suppose he wouldn’t want to talk about it much and I’m probably prying a bit much into your personal stuff.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19974 on: May 19, 2018, 12:28:28 am »

There's also the genie that is out of the bottle:

The knowledge of how to make, program, and make use of robots exists in the "poor people" world-sphere.  The 1% dont spend their time learning or honing such skills.

So, the only barrier to entry is the strong arm of a government that enforces the 1%'s intellectual cockblock in the form of intellectual property (and eternal extensions to same to prevent entry to the public domain.)

This knowledge is disruptive, in more ways than one.  In the proper sense, the people with this knowledge will design and build their own robots that are not encumbered by the IP owned by the 1%, and some percentage of those people's works will be explicitly open-licensed. (See for instance the recent rise in "Open hardware") In the improper sense, it also means malicious sabotage, hacking, and other technical denial of automation's perks to the 1% by vigilantes in the 99%.

AKA the cool cyberpunk future where the rich live in megatowers crewed by robots while the poor hack things and make illegal open-source robots.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19975 on: May 19, 2018, 04:33:21 am »

Thing is, "pipe bomb" can mean anything on a very broad scale of destructive power. Depending on materials used and how knowledgeable/committed the maker happens to be, they can either go off like a wet fart or a deadly fragmentation grenade.

My dad, who was not involved in organized crime (or organized anything, really), figured out how to make nitroglycerin as a teenager. Somehow still has all of his limbs, though nobody is quite sure how.

At least he had a bit more common sense than his buddy, who as a child found a live artillery shell out in the field close to his house once. He then decided that he wanted to open it up and have a look inside, so he started trying to chisel it open with a screwdriver and a hammer. From the firing primer side.

The real mystery is how he managed to survive long enough to die as an alcoholic quadriplegic after a chain of strokes.

But yeah, explosives have always been fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19976 on: May 19, 2018, 10:30:26 am »

Italian? I suppose he wouldn’t want to talk about it much and I’m probably prying a bit much into your personal stuff.
Nah, more local-ish stuff (I mean, there might be italian somewhere in the family tree because gods know what the hell's in that mess but if so it wasn't much by his generation). Never really looked into the details too much, tbh, though it's perhaps surprisingly easy to have relatives with some connection to organized crime in some areas, southern US very much among them. Histories dragging back to moonshiners and earlier, to say nothing of all the other drugs (and guns, and etc.) flowing through the south currently.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19977 on: May 19, 2018, 11:48:11 am »

Nah, more local-ish stuff (I mean, there might be italian somewhere in the family tree because gods know what the hell's in that mess but if so it wasn't much by his generation). Never really looked into the details too much, tbh, though it's perhaps surprisingly easy to have relatives with some connection to organized crime in some areas, southern US very much among them. Histories dragging back to moonshiners and earlier, to say nothing of all the other drugs (and guns, and etc.) flowing through the south currently.
Just remember; if the Confederacy had won, none of that would have happened!

EDIT: Unrelated, but I wonder if this is the next step in improving Trump-China relations?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19978 on: May 19, 2018, 09:55:25 pm »

There's also this to consider: if the 1% own all the industries and they're extracting > 50% of the labor-value of each worker who works there, then for every job lost, the 1% lose more income for that than the 99% do. They gain wealth by selling products to other people. If those sales dry up, e.g. in the no-jobs future, then there's no real reason to believe that further wealth concentration is all that inevitable.
Just because its in the best long term interests of the rich as a whole doesn't mean that its something they will actually do.
For instance is it the long term best interests of everybody for toxic chemicals not to be dumped into our lakes and rivers, but if industry gets its way stuff like that will be legal. And that's only stuff thats 100% clear is terrible for everyone including them.
On things that are less clear its highly questionable if they will even agree with you, much less actually do it when there is a direct cost to them personally.
To actually do these programs the government will need lots of money, and since the vast majority of people will be poor it would have to get it from the rich. Thus, it would be in the best long term interests of the rich in this scenario for them all to not only A) Work to pay a progressive amount of the taxes as a class, but also B) Actually pay the amount they are supposed to as individuals instead of using loopholes to wriggle out of it.
From looking at things historically though that isn't actually something the rich ever actually agree to do willingly. Now, people in democracies might get tired of all being dirt poor and vote for high taxes on the rich and corporations and use that money to give themselves things like healthcare and a universal income
e.g. say the 1% own 90% of the farms. But it's clear they don't eat 90% of the food. e.g. ownership and consumption are completely different things. The 1%'s wealth is mainly paper money, not measured in terms of raw resource consumption. Average people in fact consume most of the resources, and wealth is built on top of resource-delivery systems for regular people. e.g. if farms become automated, food will become much cheaper to produce (that's why they automate in the first place). But hey, everyone lost their factory jobs, how are they going to afford food? But remember, food's much cheaper to produce now. e.g. a food stamps equivalent program would be much cheaper to run, too. e.g. there's no real logic in the idea that incessant productivity increases which is really what we're talking about are going to drive most of humanity to near-extinction levels of poverty. e.g. there are already programs like food stamps and medicaid, and if everyone's out of a job because everything is automated, the cost of running those programs also plummets along with the cost of everything else. Catastrophe averted.
Food is not going to be cheaper in the future. Global warming is going to cause cause massive crop die offs from changing climate systems (mainly massive droughts and heat waves, although massive floods will also have an impact) which will decrease supply. Demand is also going to increase as the population does as well.

So even if costs to produce it do go down decreased supply and increased demand will more then offset it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19979 on: May 19, 2018, 10:05:14 pm »

So even if costs to produce it do go down decreased supply and increased demand will more then offset it.
That's just, like, your opinion, man.
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 3567