Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4237315 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19935 on: May 17, 2018, 10:40:28 am »

What they were saying was, if I understand correctly, that the existence of people with all the merits of the alleged meritocrats but without their position is evidence against there being a meritocracy, and the ad was looking for exactly that in a governess, which would in turn suggest that the 9.9% are on some level aware they are not meritocrats.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:43:45 am by Trekkin »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19936 on: May 17, 2018, 06:17:36 pm »

Hey, remember that one time I talked about how it's necessary to have population controls or we'll all suffer, and then you all called me Hitler and said I should be "the first one in the ditch"?

Well nbd, turns out capitalism solved the problem by making us all too poor and miserable to have children.

good boy capitalism, have a stock-flavored biscuit
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19937 on: May 17, 2018, 06:29:09 pm »

No worries you can always import more people like Germany is doing right now. They may not be the people you want neccessarily but hey, every unborn baby is an unborn potential hitler so you got that going for you atleast.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19938 on: May 17, 2018, 06:31:23 pm »

No worries you can always import more people like Germany is doing right now. They may not be the people you want neccessarily but hey, every unborn baby is an unborn potential hitler so you got that going for you atleast.
Remember: Hitler was an immigrant himself!

(It pains me that I feel I must disclaim this but: I am not saying immigrants are inherently evil, much less Literally Hitler. Just commenting shitposting on the fact)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19939 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:46 pm »

Isn’t the birthrate declining even in developed countries that are the most friendly to raising families (in terms of childcare, maternity leave, wages, etc)? Capitalism is to blame on the money front, but there’s the universal phenomenon of just not needing to have as many children as they’re more likely to survive simply due to the benefits that come in a developed country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19940 on: May 17, 2018, 07:10:29 pm »

Now if only there were some way keep the population stable by obtaining people from other places. Something like allowing people from other countries to come and become part of the countries with falling birth rate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19941 on: May 17, 2018, 07:11:50 pm »

Yep. Birthrate is falling irrespective of income equality.

EDIT: Just pulled up the World Bank Gini scores off of Wikipedia, as well as birth rate percentages. Stuck 'em into Excel, plotted the thing, added a regression. No regression can break a coefficient of determination value of 0.16.

Which in not-statistics speak, means what?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19942 on: May 17, 2018, 07:27:28 pm »

Now if only there were some way keep the population stable by obtaining people from other places. Something like allowing people from other countries to come and become part of the countries with falling birth rate.

Cloning. You could clone Trump and have Trump forever. However, I think Trump would want a Trump clone even less than you do: if the Trump clone performs worse than Trump, that would be embarrassing, however Trump would probably hate it more if the Trump clone exceeded the original.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19943 on: May 17, 2018, 07:45:10 pm »

Hey, remember that one time I talked about how it's necessary to have population controls or we'll all suffer, and then you all called me Hitler and said I should be "the first one in the ditch"?

Well nbd, turns out capitalism solved the problem by making us all too poor and miserable to have children.

good boy capitalism, have a stock-flavored biscuit

From the article:
"The country isn't going to run out of people." Indeed, the total population in the United States in 2018 is more than 327,000, up from 325,000 in 2017, according to the US census.

Things are worse than we feared.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19944 on: May 17, 2018, 07:58:18 pm »

Yep. Birthrate is falling irrespective of income equality.

EDIT: Just pulled up the World Bank Gini scores off of Wikipedia, as well as birth rate percentages. Stuck 'em into Excel, plotted the thing, added a regression. No regression can break a coefficient of determination value of 0.16.

I get a Pearson's r of 0.35 and a Spearman's rho of 0.47 using the World Factbook data for both, discarding ones that only appear in one set.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19945 on: May 17, 2018, 08:00:31 pm »

At this rate, America may soon have well over 400,000 citizens.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19946 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:17 pm »

> capitalism solved the problem by making us all too poor and miserable to have children.

Nah, actually most of the birth-rate decline is because women delay children because of a career. e.g. imagine if 20 used to be the median age for kids but it eventually hits 40, with a constant life-span of 80 years, everything else being equal. In the 20-year generation scheme, you average 4 concurrent generations alive but in the 40-year generation scheme you only average 2 concurrent generations alive. e.g. the long-term stable population would be half what it would be, if the women had children earlier.

The result is that the stable level of the population fell by half, even though when you check the average fertility rate it didn't go down, because fertility rate only counts the average number of children per women per lifetime, not how old she was when she had them. A shift from a norm of 20 year generations to ~27 would amount to there being 3 concurrent generations instead of 4, so a drop in the stable long-term population level by 25%. e.g. to control population levels up or down you don't necessarily need to make people have more or less babies, you just need to incentivize earlier or later births.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:13:09 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19947 on: May 17, 2018, 08:11:23 pm »

how foolish of me not to realize it was because people weren't having children for decades so they could work overtime instead of anything capitalism did
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19948 on: May 17, 2018, 08:13:39 pm »

so you're saying you want women out of the office and back in the kitchen?

(i'm being facetious here, but the point stands: if you want women's lib, then women will want to do things in their prime years which don't consist of constant nappy changing).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:15:43 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19949 on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:42 pm »

Come on reelya, you know that’s not what MSH meant.
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 3567