Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230057 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19290 on: April 23, 2018, 08:53:32 pm »

Yeah, what we really need to do is to strap guns to all of them so that the good guys can stop the bad guys.

EDIT: On a less sarcastic note, I'm far tired of this entrenched No True Scotsman argument that gun owners are all more responsible and nobler and generally better than the unarmed sheeple except for the ones that do something wrong, who obviously weren't responsible gun owners and should never have got guns, etc. If we cannot tell them apart before the killing starts -- and opposition to background checks makes it harder to do exactly that -- it's a pointless argument to make anyway.

And I'm far tired of the Strawman argument that anybody who opposes strict gun control is a psychopath that wants to strap guns to everything and drive around with nuclear weapons.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19291 on: April 23, 2018, 09:02:03 pm »

Yeah, what we really need to do is to strap guns to all of them so that the good guys can stop the bad guys.

EDIT: On a less sarcastic note, I'm far tired of this entrenched No True Scotsman argument that gun owners are all more responsible and nobler and generally better than the unarmed sheeple except for the ones that do something wrong, who obviously weren't responsible gun owners and should never have got guns, etc. If we cannot tell them apart before the killing starts -- and opposition to background checks makes it harder to do exactly that -- it's a pointless argument to make anyway.

And I'm far tired of the Strawman argument that anybody who opposes strict gun control is a psychopath that wants to strap guns to everything and drive around with nuclear weapons.

And I'm tired of people reading any criticism of the arguments of the Responsible Gun Owners(tm) as a conflation of pro-gun beliefs and psychopathy. There are straw men everywhere.

Or should I have been more explicit about the first part being sarcastic?

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19292 on: April 23, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »

Ameripol: An endless field of scarecrows

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19293 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:42 pm »

If My hijacked gan explodes, are all the places that the pieces touch mine now

asking for a friend
yes, but only the pieces still able to shoot bullets
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19294 on: April 23, 2018, 09:09:33 pm »

And I'm tired of people reading any criticism of the arguments of the Responsible Gun Owners(tm) as a conflation of pro-gun beliefs and psychopathy. There are straw men everywhere.

Or should I have been more explicit about the first part being sarcastic?

What part was supposed to be sarcastic? The part where you were mocking the beliefs that you apparently think all pro-gun people hold, or the part that boils down to "there is no such thing as a responsible gun owner, and even if such a thing exists we should assume they're about to start killing any moment and take their rights away anyway."?
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19295 on: April 23, 2018, 09:10:34 pm »

Ameripol: An endless field of scarecrows
Straw man you say?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19296 on: April 23, 2018, 09:21:08 pm »

And I'm tired of the notion that arguments are based on points, and that calling out rhetorical fallacies somehow makes an argument "invalid" in its entirety when arguments are actually based on 3 pillars and the invalidation of one does not defeat the argument as a whole. I don't know why it became such a big thing on the internet to call out fallacies as if it's a game of soccer and people get yellow cards over them; they're perfectly valid rhetorical tools, albeit risky ones.

Can't really argue with this.

For reasons of explanation, "No True Scotsman" accusations really, really tick me off, because the only real use for them is tarring a large group with the misdeeds of a smaller one. That made me far testier than I should have been, and this particular derail was already irritating me quite a bit. That may have caused me to fly off the handle a bit.

(THIS POST WAS EDITED FOR CLARITY)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19297 on: April 23, 2018, 09:23:36 pm »

The argument that always really annoys me is when your talking about social policies and some idiot says you should move to North Korea because hur dur communism.

That and gotchas

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19298 on: April 23, 2018, 09:31:59 pm »

I wonder how long it'll take before people on the internet realize that you can defend your fallacies with well-placed pathos, making whomever rebuttals by calling out the fallacy come off as a heartless jackass.

To think, this is just the early stages of internet rhetoric. It'll be fascinating to see it evolve.
Somehow I think most of it wont evolve bast bad memes, insults, and strawmen. You average internet commenter a rhetorical genius is not.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19299 on: April 23, 2018, 09:42:20 pm »

And I'm tired of the notion that arguments are based on points, and that calling out rhetorical fallacies somehow makes an argument "invalid" in its entirety when arguments are actually based on 3 pillars and the invalidation of one does not defeat the argument as a whole. I don't know why it became such a big thing on the internet to call out fallacies as if it's a game of soccer and people get yellow cards over them; they're perfectly valid rhetorical tools, albeit risky ones.

For reasons of explanation, "No True Scotsman" accusations really, really tick me off, because the only real use for them is tarring a large group with the misdeeds of a smaller one. That made me far testier than I should have been, and this particular derail was already irritating me quite a bit. That may have caused me to fly off the handle a bit.

See, I get where you're coming from, but I'd argue they're valid tools in a statistical sense; if X% of group Y do thing Z, then it's valid in the absence of better data to assume that every Y has an X% chance of doing so -- although that's a terrible basis for policy decisions and I'm actually arguing against doing so. There are valid ways to shift people in and out of groups, but just declaring "Y by definition do not ever Z" is unhelpful, because it doesn't tell us anything about how to redefine Y with what we know now. Thus the No True Scotsman -- it is, in a sense, tarring a big group with a little group, but only insofar as it points out that the tar exists and we need a better definition of the groups.

Or, in this particular case, we already have an implicit definition of people who should have guns, at least in theory, in the form of gun license holders, and it's clear that definition includes people who we end up wishing would not (or, often, did not) have guns. Unfortunately, any attempt to improve that comes off as offensively punitive to a vocal subset of the gun enthusiast community, even when it's intended to reduce the risk that people will later decide to take their guns because we can't tell who should have them. That's what annoys me, and why I came off more abrasively than even I intended. Yes, millions of responsible gun owners exist. So do a small fraction of people who pass background checks and have licenses and end up killing loads of people anyway. Separating the two need not be punitive, and it is, in my view, the most workable alternative to punitive measures that might otherwise be insisted upon, so it's a pity that people (Shazbot, in this case) approach it with such hostility. Unfortunately, research into what correlates with gun misuse that might inform a better approach to background checks -- which, to be clear, is as much about reducing unfounded denials of licenses to people who should them as the inverse -- is in short supply right now, and any attempt to reverse the amendment that made it hard to fund tends to also get a lot of pushback.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:47:32 pm by Trekkin »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19300 on: April 23, 2018, 09:45:08 pm »

I think the single thing that annoys me most is when people combine the insult and the strawman into snide comments about "libtards" and the like. It's like instant asshole detection.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19301 on: April 23, 2018, 09:55:53 pm »

See, I get where you're coming from, but I'd argue they're valid tools in a statistical sense; if X% of group Y do thing Z, then it's valid in the absence of better data to assume that every Y has an X% chance of doing so -- although that's a terrible basis for policy decisions and I'm actually arguing against doing so. There are valid ways to shift people in and out of groups, but just declaring "Y by definition do not ever Z" is unhelpful, because it doesn't tell us anything about how to redefine Y with what we know now. Thus the No True Scotsman -- it is, in a sense, tarring a big group with a little group, but only insofar as it points out that the tar exists and we need a better definition of the groups.

Or, in this particular case, we already have an implicit definition of people who should have guns, at least in theory, in the form of gun license holders, and it's clear that definition includes people who we end up wishing would not (or, often, did not) have guns. Unfortunately, any attempt to improve that comes off as offensively punitive to a vocal subset of the gun enthusiast community, even when it's intended to reduce the risk that people will later decide to take their guns because we can't tell who should have them. That's what annoys me, and why I came off more abrasively than even I intended. Yes, millions of responsible gun owners exist. So do a small fraction of people who pass background checks and have licenses and end up killing loads of people anyway. Separating the two need not be punitive, and it is, in my view, the most workable alternative to punitive measures that might otherwise be insisted upon, so it's a pity that people (Shazbot, in this case) approach it with such hostility. Unfortunately, research into what correlates with gun misuse that might inform a better approach to background checks -- which, to be clear, is as much about reducing unfounded denials of licenses to people who should them as the converse -- is in short supply right now, and any attempt to reverse the amendment that made it hard to fund tends to also get a lot of pushback.

We've overused it at this point, but I'm just really tired of people reading any attempt to make it more acceptable for them to collectively have guns as the start of a plot to take them away. There are definitely good guys with guns, and we need to be better at identifying them to reduce the rate at which things happen that make people want to take their guns away.

I've talked about this Catch-22 in this thread before. Gun rights activists oppose a lot of reasonable measures out of fear that they will lead to bans and confiscation, but that very opposition is a large part of why the other side of the argument (for which I can't think of an term for that doesn't implicitly criticize either side) has a tendency to jump straight to bans as the first response to an incident.

It doesn't help that there is a lot of misinformation out there, and there are more than a few "god in the gaps" cases where mockery of one side or the other was mistaken (generally in good faith) as that side's actual arguments.

One quibble - gun licenses are not universal in the US. There is no Federal provision for them, although many states require one. Personally, I think going to a national licence would be a good thing, as I've advocated before, but there would have to be some sort of reassurance provisions to ensure that this isn't really a slippery slope.

Background checks are nearly universal, and there's plenty of support for making them universally so, but that isn't quite the same thing.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19302 on: April 23, 2018, 10:24:18 pm »

One quibble - gun licenses are not universal in the US. There is no Federal provision for them, although many states require one. Personally, I think going to a national licence would be a good thing, as I've advocated before, but there would have to be some sort of reassurance provisions to ensure that this isn't really a slippery slope.

Background checks are nearly universal, and there's plenty of support for making them universally so, but that isn't quite the same thing.

Ah, my apologies; I inadvertently elided two groups By "people who should have guns", I was referring not to the total population of people who are allowed to own and use guns but to the subset who invest a great deal of their self-image and their self-esteem in their gun ownership and perceive themselves to have a positive effect on society by virtue of being legally armed from day to day, as opposed to people who simply use guns for target shooting and so forth and don't carry them around. A good deal of that investment apparently comes from the state having specifically granted them a license, which is why I was referring to it in that context.

Then again, my main source for the mentality of this group is Angela Stroud's "Good Guys with Guns" and a few gun rights activist friends, so I'm loath to make any claims about how populous a subset it is, but I've certainly heard people play the "passing a background check means I needed to be sane and not a criminal and how many of the rest of you can make that claim" card before in the context of background check proposals and gun-free zones and so forth.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19303 on: April 23, 2018, 10:26:17 pm »

I have nothing to say; I'm just posting here so that I can be a part of page 1337, and forever be known as one of the cool kids. Everyone who misses out on this opportunity will eternally be branded a nerd.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19304 on: April 23, 2018, 10:29:32 pm »

I have nothing to say; I'm just posting here so that I can be a part of page 1337, and forever be known as one of the cool kids. Everyone who misses out on this opportunity will eternally be branded a nerd.
Don't you mean page 401
unless you're some kind of less-than-50-ppp nerd
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 3567