Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229169 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19260 on: April 23, 2018, 01:01:14 pm »

In Norway, French toast is called "Pitiable Knights". I'm not sure why.

And we put sugar on blood, never mind the poor knights! Black sausage isn't very popular though, most people keep their condiment section limited to some liver pâté and smoked cod roe caviar, with maybe some mushed mackerel fillets in tomato sauce.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19261 on: April 23, 2018, 01:03:23 pm »

That sounds magnificent.

Truly Norway is the Valhalla of breakfast.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19262 on: April 23, 2018, 01:04:37 pm »

Bah, why sully your breakfast with bowel churning abominations like your "waffles" when you can just have bread and some nice, fresh and delicious minas cheese.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19263 on: April 23, 2018, 01:05:01 pm »

Probably because they got it from the English version, called "poor knights of Windsor", or the English got it from them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19264 on: April 23, 2018, 01:35:45 pm »

Because it's a food that tries to aspire to 'poshness', but is really an ersatz substitute put together using almost the basest ingredients?

It's "Gypsy Toast", here (in not-France).  Not exactly the enlightened term it could be (Romani/Traveller Toast?) but far from the worse terms (Gypo, Pikey, Charver, Ned, etc) not uncommonly applied to the people.

Sprinkle sugar liberally, even if you name them illiberally!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19265 on: April 23, 2018, 01:37:33 pm »

I just soak some bread in egg, cook it in a pan, then slather it in maple syrup.

It tastes like barbarism.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19266 on: April 23, 2018, 01:45:54 pm »

From what I recall, it's called "poor knights' bread" or rough equivalents because it was a dish thats very cheap, especially compared to other deserts, to make, and knights were often skint because castles, horses, and armour are expensive, so the story goes that this was a dessert you could serve when entertaining, without breaking the bank.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19267 on: April 23, 2018, 01:52:43 pm »

And if, in your journies, thou shouldst encounter one who wouldst not consume the flesh of the waffle, then thou must shun this heretic, and invite him not into thine house, for such are the ways of demons and beasts. The faithful must become one with the waffle, and so shall the waffle become one with them, thus sayeth the great Chef who cooks for us all. May the syrup of fortune always rain down upon you, and the butter of kindness melt forever in your heart.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19268 on: April 23, 2018, 01:54:39 pm »

From what I recall, it's called "poor knights' bread" or rough equivalents because it was a dish thats very cheap, especially compared to other deserts, to make, and knights were often skint because castles, horses, and armour are expensive, so the story goes that this was a dessert you could serve when entertaining, without breaking the bank.

That, and wars tended to produce knights without estates as a by-product of the siezure of land, and they still had to conform to the standards of their ostensible station but without its attendant resources.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19269 on: April 23, 2018, 02:26:33 pm »

Ahem...

Home cooked Pancakes > Any other garbage you might be eating for some reason, brain damage most likely.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19270 on: April 23, 2018, 02:43:49 pm »

Oh, hey, they caught the (putative) guy who did it.

Anyone care to keep this farce going by speculating what baked goods he prefers to eat for breakfast?

EDIT: Or perhaps to use that as a jumping-off point for jokes about prison rape or chest-thumping buffoonery about "what he deserves" from our resident tough guys? I recall those being popular at about this point in the proceedings.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:50:30 pm by Trekkin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19271 on: April 23, 2018, 02:53:08 pm »

What about waffle thumping and buffoonery jumping? Let's not limit ourselves to concepts that makes sense. This is America.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19272 on: April 23, 2018, 03:01:46 pm »

Anyone care to keep this farce going by speculating what baked goods he prefers to eat for breakfast?

EDIT: Or perhaps to use that as a jumping-off point for jokes about prison rape or chest-thumping buffoonery about "what he deserves" from our resident tough guys? I recall those being popular at about this point in the proceedings.

What he "deserves" is commitment. Based on reported prior incidents, there is something seriously wrong in his head. I suspect that he isn't even fit to stand trial.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19273 on: April 23, 2018, 03:03:03 pm »

What he "deserves" is commitment. Based on reported prior incidents, there is something seriously wrong in his head. I suspect that he isn't even fit to stand trial.

Likely true.

I only skimmed some articles briefly, but his firearms were taken away due to mental health concerns to begin with, were they not?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19274 on: April 23, 2018, 03:03:08 pm »

In Toronto, Canada, a man drove his van into pedestrians, killing 4 and injuring about 10 people.
The driver has been apprehended. As of yet, there's no information as to the motive.

Premier Trudeau has stated that it is clear that he still needs to get a more complete picture of the events. He hopes that the coming hours will clarify what exactly happened.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 3567