Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4237261 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18975 on: April 12, 2018, 09:51:55 am »

This is a condensed list of military actions throughout all of US history. Could be a good place to start.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18976 on: April 12, 2018, 10:05:22 am »

Semi-related question: I'm writing a paper on Congressional legislative opposition to warfare, and I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a list of US military actions post-War-Powers Act on short notice. (ideally, a list of US military actions which Congress got involved in in some way, but a list of military actions would be good enough.) Can any of my fellow forumites point me to a source like that? Ideally an online source, but a book would be just as useful in the long-run. I'd accept a bigger list of US actions (like, for example, since WW2) as I can narrow it down myself if I want or need to: What's important is that it is relatively complete.

There was that book called "Killing Hope", which was basically a long list of all the bad stuff the US had done post-WWII. Biased of course, but interesting to look at.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18977 on: April 12, 2018, 10:44:45 am »

How could Trump be a Russian puppet if he's already Tomahawked Russia's client state of Syria once and Putin need only pull a tape recorder out of his Boris Badenov trench coat, reveal whatever "deal" Trump made, shatter American foreign influence for a decade and turn America into Game of Thrones?

Russian Foreign Policy is easy to discern by watching Russia Today while standing on your head thinking, "How is this propaganda?"

Yeah, while he was overly friendly towards Russia for a while, he definetly hasn't been acting like Russia has him by the balls, and I mean actual actions, not tweets. In fact, he's recently shown signs of getting frustrated with Putin.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18978 on: April 12, 2018, 11:16:38 am »

If he did that, he wouldn't have influence over the Oval Office.

If the puppeteer cuts the puppet's strings, the puppet crashes to the ground. But the puppeteer no longer controls the puppet.

In Russia, puppet controls you!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18979 on: April 12, 2018, 11:17:06 am »

This is a condensed list of military actions throughout all of US history. Could be a good place to start.
Many thanks.

There was that book called "Killing Hope", which was basically a long list of all the bad stuff the US had done post-WWII. Biased of course, but interesting to look at.
I'll take a look. I don't mind bias, I intend on researching each individual action myself for the purposes of my paper. My point is researching congressional opposition or restrictions taken to act against the President, i.e. War Powers Resolution, Case-Church Amendment, the Boland Amendment, etc. It doesn't matter whether or not the action succeeded; i.e. attempted but failed restrictions are just as interesting to me as successful ones.

On that line of thought: Does anyone have any good sources on Congressional opposition to recent wars? Attempted laws or amendments and the like?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18980 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:41 am »

Honestly, I'm uncertain Russia has a stance or any logic going through the brain of it's leadership. It's actions continually alienate the western alliances, and at what gains? What is the point of any of this fucking brinkmanship?

They'll have a baller high score once everything is said and done.

And I feel like Trump is the kind of puppet where you forget to put the finger holes in and thus can't actually control it at all.
So Putin needs practice fingering Trump?

(gods below I'm so sorry everyone)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18981 on: April 12, 2018, 11:26:29 am »

Honestly, I'm uncertain Russia has a stance or any logic going through the brain of it's leadership. It's actions continually alienate the western alliances, and at what gains? What is the point of any of this fucking brinkmanship?

They'll have a baller high score once everything is said and done.

And I feel like Trump is the kind of puppet where you forget to put the finger holes in and thus can't actually control it at all.
So Putin needs practice fingering Trump?

(gods below I'm so sorry everyone)

lol XD

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18982 on: April 12, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »

Yeah, while he was overly friendly towards Russia for a while, he definetly hasn't been acting like Russia has him by the balls, and I mean actual actions, not tweets. In fact, he's recently shown signs of getting frustrated with Putin.
"You know you're looking a bit too much like you're under my control, Donaldski. How about you threaten me, I threaten you back, it'll look good for the proletariat. Tell you what, I've got some people about to conduct a little poisoning in the UK, which I'll be denying except for the other people it'll be a warning to, you can jump on the bandwagon that I know the rest of the world will be on. There's a consulate I don't really need open that you can expel people from, and I'll expel some of yours (I'll choose which ones) and save your government's money. Then I get Bashi's people to use some 'dodgy' weapons, we can have this other little spat and as long as you don't use too much strong language, we can make it look like we're at loggerheads and I can shove that old betamax cassette further to the back of the shelf, again. Ok?"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18983 on: April 12, 2018, 12:32:24 pm »

Let's go back a little bit here. The idea, as I understood it, was that Putin hated Hillary and was friendly with Trump. Putin does not need specific control of Trump; likewise, Trump respected Putin as the charismatic authoritarian he so desperately wants to be, so his previous friendliness makes sense. Now that Putin is making Trump look weak, Trump has turned around. Of course, Trump still desires approval from daddy Putin, so he's moderating his response in hopes that things can be patched up.

Note that this whole hypothesis actually includes the possibility of a technically innocent Trump. If Putin and the Russian apparatus was working of their own volition to elect Trump, without collaboration, it's not exactly Trump's fault. I leave it to Muller and others to determine exactly how likely that is.

Frankly, the idea of compromat-ing Trump is a bit absurd. He has no shame, and his supporters literally cheered him on when he bragged about sexual assault and tax fraud. I believe that any material that would meaningfully weaken Trump would be so outlandish that it's not believable -- something on the order of weekly satanic cannibalism rituals at the Mar-a-Lago. And if it can't be believed, it's not effective compromat.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #18984 on: April 12, 2018, 12:37:42 pm »

I'd honestly be surprised if Trump was ever colluding with the Russian Government. People around him? Sure. Did they influence his campaign? Oh yeah. But I think if there are any further connections to be drawn, then one would have to look at other campaigns Russia has influenced; including overseas. Which, I think there has been influence, but I don't have that information on hand readily.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18985 on: April 12, 2018, 02:04:47 pm »

Bear in mind I am racist against politicians, I don't think it is wrong to feed them to hungry hogs... slowly, and I would sooner piss beside one than on them if they were actually on fire, fuck them all.

Except this guy, he gets a pass.

As an asshole I am obligated to respect the game of fellow assholes, and that guy has game to spare.

"I showed up, I'm bound by statute to do so. Note though that it says 'I shall appear' with no other qualifications about answering questions, so I can sit here and twiddle my thumbs or answer emails if I felt like it."

This was confirmed by the chairman of the committee, noting that "you could play candy crush and we couldn't do anything about it" which also confirms that this is the weirdest fucking timeline ever, as I'm pretty sure that is now entered into official records.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18986 on: April 12, 2018, 03:43:12 pm »

Mulvaney is a hack, a corrupt piece of shit, and a stooge. He was not legitimately appointed to the post he holds, and his actions there have been to effectively shut down the agency. The CFPB was created specifically to protect against things like the Equifax breach and the Great Recession, and he's throwing the doors wide open for massive corporate fraud.

Of all the people to look up to...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18987 on: April 12, 2018, 04:24:17 pm »

On that line of thought: Does anyone have any good sources on Congressional opposition to recent wars? Attempted laws or amendments and the like?
I probably wouldn't call it good, exactly, but just in case a reminder is needed, do remember pretty much everything congresswise so far as proposed lawstuff goes is archived and online. It's also keyword searchable and can be filtered by time period, iirc. Think by results to some degree, too.

If it turns out you can't find someone else who has done the scutwork and let it free to the wilds, you got the means to do it yourself.

... mind you, if it's just a paper and you're not literally being paid for it, going that far is likely not worth the effort. The research can be a bit of a pain in the ass, and probably way overboard for anything that's not dissertation level madness.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18988 on: April 12, 2018, 05:17:05 pm »

Mulvaney is a hack, a corrupt piece of shit, and a stooge. He was not legitimately appointed to the post he holds, and his actions there have been to effectively shut down the agency. The CFPB was created specifically to protect against things like the Equifax breach and the Great Recession, and he's throwing the doors wide open for massive corporate fraud.

Of all the people to look up to...
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I don't respect anything but the trollishness, as I've done the exact same thing back when I was in school and gleefully enforced the rules against teachers and principals when they tried to overstep their bounds.

Also: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/12/trump-tpp-trade-pact-519128

Fucking hilarious.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18989 on: April 12, 2018, 05:20:35 pm »

Also: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/12/trump-tpp-trade-pact-519128

Fucking hilarious.

It's like it finally clicked in his head that he's not an all-powerful god-being and that he can't just do whatever the fuck he likes and expect everyone to do whatever he says.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 3567