Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1261 1262 [1263] 1264 1265 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235342 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18930 on: April 11, 2018, 06:43:46 am »

It is expected that Trump will order more than just a missile strike at Syria in reprisal for the chemical attack. It is very possible that we will see a full scale aerial bombardment operation soon.

Assad has rebased most of it's air fleet to Hmeymim to prevent them from getting destroyed. Hmeymim is used as an airbase by the Russian airforce, and Assad is kinda counting on it that Trump will not dare attack that.

Russia threatened to intercept all tomohawk missiles, and has threatened to attack the US navy in the area if Russians get hit.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:49:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18931 on: April 11, 2018, 07:01:54 am »

If the US can pull an Iron Man and launch smart munitions that scrupulously avoid blasting 'friendly' Russians, while taking out Libyan materielle on the same site, that would send a message.

(But we're far from that. Even with some special-forces spotters overlooking the scene with the latest in covert target-spotting systems. Pipe dream. Even before errors in identification and disputed post-attack analyses come into play.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18932 on: April 11, 2018, 07:16:37 am »

If the US can pull an Iron Man and launch smart munitions that scrupulously avoid blasting 'friendly' Russians, while taking out Libyan materielle on the same site, that would send a message.

(But we're far from that. Even with some special-forces spotters overlooking the scene with the latest in covert target-spotting systems. Pipe dream. Even before errors in identification and disputed post-attack analyses come into play.)

I think it's rather easy to hit every single Libyan plane on a Syrian airfield. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18933 on: April 11, 2018, 07:33:24 am »

I think it's rather easy to hit every single Libyan plane on a Syrian airfield. :p

I'd advise against it. Ask Doc Brown what happens when you screw over Libyans.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18934 on: April 11, 2018, 08:27:30 am »

*pbbbt*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18935 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:07 am »

As much as I hate the whole situation with Syria, there are only 3 moves to make here.

1) Do nothing. (Russia wins by default with this one, as does Assad.)
2) Force Russia to make the first move against US personnel (EG, since Assad is squatting under Russian troops, just send lots of american troops into all the population centers Assad wants to gas. When Putin goes ahead and provides the chemical weapons, and Assad happily gasses people, we prove Putin was responsible and nail him to the wall on the world stage, and force his withdrawal geopolitically. I consider this a pipedream. It also requires spreading forces thin, and all over, which is suicidally bad. Putin knows we wont do this.)
3) Blow up the airbase anyway, and give Russia exactly what they want. (They are totally goading the US politically. This is a trap.)

Welcome to the Zanatos Gambit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18936 on: April 11, 2018, 09:41:09 am »

I thought it was spelled Xanatos.

Anyways, Paul Ryan isn't running for re-election. Now if Nancy Pelosi wouldn't run for re-election.....

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18937 on: April 11, 2018, 10:22:04 am »

Anyways, Paul Ryan isn't running for re-election. Now if Nancy Pelosi wouldn't run for re-election.....

It's more likely (which is not to say very likely) that some combination of a progressive wave and Trump-state Lamb-style Democrats make it untenable for her to remain in floor leadership -- which, to be fair, mitigates a lot of the damage she's doing electorally.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18938 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:33 am »

We should just nuke Syria and get over it. One on Damascus, and then another on Aleppo a few days later, just to show that we mean business.

Anyways, Paul Ryan isn't running for re-election....
Now this is some interesting stuff indeed. I wonder who'll replace him as Speaker? I was just reading about jockeying for his position a few days ago, that'll only intensify (and hey, maybe they knew something we didn't).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18939 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:39 am »

We should just nuke Syria and get over it. One on Damascus, and then another on Aleppo a few days later, just to show that we mean business.
I know you're joking, but the odds of us actually bombing Syria in a full scale campaign are worrying.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18940 on: April 11, 2018, 11:15:23 am »

It is a pity that TLAMs are not more modifiable by the firing platform; at this point we could just as well swap the warheads for cans of ravioli and dare Putin to shoot down our extremely belligerent humanitarian aid efforts as well as their firing platforms, as they have threatened to.

/s

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18941 on: April 11, 2018, 11:29:06 am »

Just so we don't forget what could be done by competent leadership, we could have opened diplomatic ties to neighboring countries and established a coalition of nations willing to prevent further humanitarian crisis and refuge movement. Assad and the rebels could be driven out by locals, instead of by a foreign power. Then we provide finance and resources for reconstruction, and use that soft power to encourage a democratic government to form.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18942 on: April 11, 2018, 11:58:54 am »

Just so we don't forget what could be done by competent leadership, we could have opened diplomatic ties to neighboring countries and established a coalition of nations willing to prevent further humanitarian crisis and refuge movement. Assad and the rebels could be driven out by locals, instead of by a foreign power. Then we provide finance and resources for reconstruction, and use that soft power to encourage a democratic government to form.
Neighboring countries... like Israel, Iraq, or Turkey?  Guess there is Lebanon and Jordan too. 
You might get some traction with Jordan and Lebanon? 
Iraq is already dealing with it's own problems.  Israel seems to be on the more racist end of the spectrum.  And Turkey is technically already helping out, but is more interested in keeping the Kurds down.

Theoretically, we coulda done this during the Obama administration too.  It ain't really about competent leadership, rather that all the players have very different goals. 
The ones that do 'care', don't want the refugees coming to them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18943 on: April 11, 2018, 12:05:22 pm »

Neighbouring countries are already renting out space to the UN's humanitarian actions.
Love, scriver~

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18944 on: April 11, 2018, 12:16:38 pm »

I get that Pelosi is unpopular, but the realities of congressional leadership mean that anyone who replaces her will be just as hated.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 1261 1262 [1263] 1264 1265 ... 3567