Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4233212 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18915 on: April 10, 2018, 06:14:14 pm »

Facebook brought in over 40 billion dollars in revenue in 2017.

At the end of that year, they had 2.2 billion active users.

It's not pennies, it's just north of 18 dollars per person per year.

It's not that simple.

The value of data is separate from the total sale price of targeted advertisements, and the value of one person's data is not the same as another's even across all advertisers; there's no simple way to give people "their cut" that won't have some group or other claiming they're victims of some kind of data value gap. At minimum, there's some value in selling ads toward the person an algorithm imputes you to be based on your use habits even if you don't tell it anything, and again, that value varies.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:16:25 pm by Trekkin »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18916 on: April 10, 2018, 06:28:55 pm »

Well, Zuckerberg was forced to make some uncomfortable admissions, and its clear that Congress is pretty mad, but its not clear that they can agree on what exactly they are mad about or what they are going to do about it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18917 on: April 10, 2018, 06:57:08 pm »

He started out saying that Facebook makes their money through ad revenue, and then once they asked for more info it came out wellllll we sort of sell data to a lot of different people.

2.2 billion users aren't generating 40 billion in ad money, you see. The internet proclaims that only about 2% of people click ads in general, and Facebook is set to take in 100 billion according to projections. The projections are that most ad-based system pay between $1.50 and 2$ per click.

So I think their main concern is the idea that Zuckerberg can gather the information on everyone on the planet and then sell it to whoever he wants with no real overwatch but himself, and also that he's obviously been doing this for years.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18918 on: April 10, 2018, 07:25:22 pm »

He started out saying that Facebook makes their money through ad revenue, and then once they asked for more info it came out wellllll we sort of sell data to a lot of different people.

2.2 billion users aren't generating 40 billion in ad money, you see. The internet proclaims that only about 2% of people click ads in general, and Facebook is set to take in 100 billion according to projections. The projections are that most ad-based system pay between $1.50 and 2$ per click.

So I think their main concern is the idea that Zuckerberg can gather the information on everyone on the planet and then sell it to whoever he wants with no real overwatch but himself, and also that he's obviously been doing this for years.

Not really. His story has been, always, that Facebook does not actually release any data that it collects whatsoever to advertisers. Rather, it shares data with applications developed in conjunction with Facebook. Again, what Facebook collects is innocuous on its own. It's what can be built from that data that freaks people out.

That has always been his story, until he outright admitted he's been selling data to other firms. The numbers don't add up for a company that survives on ad revenue alone. Also, he is a monopoly. Noone is regulating him, not even the usual natural balance of competition.

I mean, am I wrong here? He makes way, way more money than ad revenue actually pulls in, and admitted to selling data, but he totally is sorry and only sold it to one firm. Two firms. Just those two, he promises.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:27:05 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18919 on: April 10, 2018, 07:36:33 pm »

Ah, I see then. That makes things clearer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18920 on: April 10, 2018, 07:38:07 pm »

And IIRC, the academic was only posing as an academic to get access to the data. Once FB learned what was up, they cut their access. But again, there's not as much vetting or oversight of the process, obviously, to the degree I'm comfortable with how they operate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18921 on: April 10, 2018, 09:12:46 pm »

Jesus Christ, that guy is a fucking android wearing human skin, you can't convince me otherwise.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18922 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09:55 pm »

Could you be more specific?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18923 on: April 10, 2018, 10:42:56 pm »

Could you be more specific?
Clearly Jesus is an android that wears human skin to walk among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18924 on: April 10, 2018, 10:44:02 pm »

Zuck is a Terminator, Creating SkyNet and causing world escalation of nuclear Armageddon?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18925 on: April 10, 2018, 11:24:07 pm »

Jesus Christ, that guy is a fucking android wearing human skin, you can't convince me otherwise.
That was my impression too.  Zuckerberg seemed really on the ball during questioning, certainly more so than our elected representatives. The lawyer in high office pretending not to understand legalese was more embarrassing than the one stumbling over the question of "migrating devices", because at least the latter is technical.  And the "wouldn't you agree you're terrible and your company is bad" questions had me tuning out.

The description of ISPs as pipes made me chuckle ("tubes", one might say).  Then it made me sad for the death of neutral ISPs...
I'm not sure what Facebook being slow to take down foreign-language hate speech had to do with anything else that was discussed, but Zuckerberg and our representatives seemed to agree:  The priority is to delete anything that looks like hate speech ASAP, instead of taking time to verify.

Reminds me a lot of Youtube, lately.  They've never been truly neutral platforms of course, but they were founded on an idea of hosting all sorts of opinions.  That's changing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18926 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:43 pm »

When your platform enables alternatives to the mainstream narrative, and does so efficiently, expect the incumbent regime to take notice, and action.

News at 11.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: April 10, 2018, 11:46:12 pm »

After this word from our sponsors.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: April 10, 2018, 11:49:16 pm »

That was my impression too.  Zuckerberg seemed really on the ball during questioning, certainly more so than our elected representatives. The lawyer in high office pretending not to understand legalese was more embarrassing than the one stumbling over the question of "migrating devices", because at least the latter is technical.  And the "wouldn't you agree you're terrible and your company is bad" questions had me tuning out.

That's Congress in public for you; the matter at hand, and indeed all of reality, is secondary to the fact that they have cameras on them and a hot mic and must thus generate sound bites until physically incapable of doing so because that's how they got there and that's how they'll stay there. The play's the thing.

It's not their job to be on the ball, really. It's their job to be electable enough to attract talent to be on the ball for them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: April 11, 2018, 02:29:08 am »

Zuck is a Terminator, Creating SkyNet and causing world escalation of nuclear Armageddon?
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 3567