Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1222 1223 [1224] 1225 1226 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228347 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18345 on: March 21, 2018, 01:56:15 am »

The reason this utilitarian argument fails is that they are legally forbidden from allowing kids to leave even if they "kinda expect they'll be back the next day". Because the prospect of teenagers not being under watch at all times terrifies parents, because what if they get hit by a bus full of internet pedophiles?!!!!1

Therefore, tackling, because, if they get hurt from being tackled, at least nobody can say we didn't have their best interests at heart.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18346 on: March 21, 2018, 03:27:42 am »

In the sexual harassment case against Trump, by Summer Zervos, a judge ruled today that a president is not immune for persecution.
This increases the chances of Trump actually being persecuted, not just by Zervos, but also by the ten other women that accused him of sexual harrassment.

Trump's lawyer had claimed that it was not allowed to persecute Trump while he is president, but the judge now ruled otherwise, and saw no resason to postpone sueing the president until after he's resigned.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/rechter-niemand-staat-boven-de-wet-ook-president-trump-niet~a4582748/
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/nyregion/trump-defamation-lawsuit-new-york-summer-zervos.html

Heh, I can see this leading to odd situations.

Intelligence officer: Mr. president, the Russians have sent nukes our way, we need you to get the football.
Woman: I am sorry, this is the president's assistant speaking. The president is not here at the moment, he is in court defending himself in a rape case, please call back tomorrow.

EDIT: in other news, Texas police KEYE TV reports the bomber is dead. Apparently he blew himself up when police got onto him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:41:01 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18347 on: March 21, 2018, 05:53:21 am »

Or the perp is admirably dilligent (and quite sure of him/herself) and decided to build a large amount of bombs before sending them out.

EDIT: It seems writing and not posting a message for 8 hours will result in being ninja'ed to a hilarious extreme.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:56:39 am by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18348 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:10 am »

EDIT: in other news, Texas police KEYE TV reports the bomber is dead. Apparently he blew himself up when police got onto him.

At least it's over with. I wonder about that seemingly random and unrelated incinedary device though.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18349 on: March 21, 2018, 01:41:44 pm »

@martinuzz: I'm gonna assume you meant "prosecute" rather than "persecute"?  ???

So now we have CongratuGate -- the newest scandal out of the Trump WH.

Apparently 45's national security briefing specifically instructed him not to congratulate Vladimir Putin on his electoral "victory" during their Tuesday phone call.

Trump promptly ignored that and congratulated his buddy Vlad. Then that fact (and the fact that he had been told not to) was leaked to WaPo, which promptly reported it.

Cue anger and gnashing of teeth about how the leaks are the "real story".  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18350 on: March 21, 2018, 01:45:59 pm »

What kind of world do we live in, where one corrupt oligarch can't congratulate another on their sham election win without acrimony? I tells ya.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:58:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18351 on: March 21, 2018, 02:02:49 pm »

Both things are the real story.

When they said that they put it in all caps, I wondered what size font they put it in, but it would have been moot if he didn't actually read the briefing anyway.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18352 on: March 21, 2018, 02:14:44 pm »

I wish the leak hadn't done that.

Not that that wasn't awesome, it's just that now the White House is digging through their staff trying to find them. If they get found out now, that means they won't be around when something REALLY important happens.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18353 on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:28 pm »

I don't recall anybody getting ousted for leaking the transcripts of the conversations with Australian PM Trumbull and Mexican President Nieto, or anybody getting ousted for contributing to the WH leaking like a sieve (though a sieve with somewhat fewer holes than previously) for that matter.

Obviously whoever did it was trying to be a whistleblower (such is the environment in the WH), but leaking something like that with that much detail that it's obviously coming from the inner circle of the National Security council is a no-no and as the WH said, it's a fireable offense.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18354 on: March 21, 2018, 02:52:56 pm »

@martinuzz: I'm gonna assume you meant "prosecute" rather than "persecute"?  ???
Heh, yeah. Oops.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18355 on: March 21, 2018, 03:53:13 pm »

Will say, I'm somewhat willing to believe there wasn't a leaker on the congrats thing. Someone just guessed -- correctly, though no points for it given it's braindead obvious advice considering matters previous and current -- trump was explicitly instructed to not congratulate putin. Then someone ran with it, it hit the news, and hey presto welcome to the world of predictability.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18356 on: March 21, 2018, 04:06:34 pm »

Will say, I'm somewhat willing to believe there wasn't a leaker on the congrats thing. Someone just guessed -- correctly, though no points for it given it's braindead obvious advice considering matters previous and current -- trump was explicitly instructed to not congratulate putin. Then someone ran with it, it hit the news, and hey presto welcome to the world of predictability.

From the Washington Post, who was the first to report it? Pretty sure they have higher standards than that.

It's predictable, yes, but apparently there were details that only the NSC or otherwise someone who was there would actually know.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18357 on: March 21, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »

I wonder how other countries deal with athletics programs and the like. I'm sure other countries have schools similar to nenjin where the wealthy kids go and often look for the next potential soccer (that's everybody-else-in-the-world football) superstar and protecting the alumni dollars.
My experience is that we don't do that (systematically) at school-level. A whole range of sports were given (or, indeed, forced) at school, long-suppressed memories that I'm dredging up specifically for this post tell me that it ranged from field/athletics sports, cricket and tennis ('summer schedule' outside sports), [assoc.] football and rugby [league and/or union, I can't remember which] (colder, wetter, muddier and frozen terms), basketball, badminton and various athletic/strength training exercises (gymnasium, with hoops, nets, mats, hurdles and ceiling ropes, etc, and at one point a static equipment room installed in an old classroom) and in the final year of tha school an old table-tennis table in a dilapidated upper-form rec-room was discovered and made usable as a self-directed 'option'. Oh, and the Cross Country, which must have been once-per-term, but seemed to only ever happen when there was either cold, slippery mud or slipper, frozen mud on key parts of the course (we were lucky if it wasn't wet in the air, in the former case, though it was probably postponed if currently snowing) and I don't recall anybody doing more of this than was scheduled for us all.

Those with potential may have been representing the school in competition, locally/regionally/nationally (especially the football, maybe the cricket) but there wasn't any obvious thing with the soccer-jocks in Letterman jackets (would have been against uniform rules, even if there was such a clique), and perhaps there might have been the occasional announcement to the school assembly that some kid had earned an external trophy, but that would probably have been a parent pushing that info on the school most of the time.

Outside of school, I know one person who strted the path towards professional cricket (but I can't find what I remember of his name on County lists, assuming I even de-nicknamed him properly in my head). My own 'chosen' sport (not counting the table-tennis, which I pursued half-heartedly later on for a short time) was not a school-supported one. There were(/are still) organised school-age championships for this at regional and then national levels that could be entered by school or standard-club teams, but I was never in danger of getting three of us together and doing our school proud, so never took it to that kind of scope (individual and personal competition, only, with no broadcasting of my 'accomplishments' in the school hall or anything).

Some schools will have had organised teams (including those of those school-age championship entrants I mentioned), but mostly I'd expect those youngsters talented in sports to have progressed through membership of non-academic clubs (adult, or extracurricular youth-schemes), with scouts attending amateur competitions to look for proteges for youth academy add-ons to the more commercial sports teams like football (association) and handegg (league/union - pick one, if you get the choice, and stick with it!). Though what with the Barry Burnell stuff, I know that didn't work out quite as intended for some…

This might go some way to show how the British/Home Nation teams have not always been particularly world-class (read: mostly not at all, in World Cup Football), but has still produced noted successes from the bigger sports (rugby) down to the minority ones (curling).

And, obviously, this is an outside view of any jock-culture. I don't know how many here might not have been so near to the nerd-end of the spectrum in this same environment to have experienced the sharper-end of school-sponsored sports.

(The above being Secondary level education. I managed to mostly avoid sports at the Further and Higher levels.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18358 on: March 21, 2018, 07:59:25 pm »

I wonder how other countries deal with athletics programs and the like. I'm sure other countries have schools similar to nenjin where the wealthy kids go and often look for the next potential soccer (that's everybody-else-in-the-world football) superstar and protecting the alumni dollars.
Highschool sports teams, or education-linked sports programs / sponsorship are completely alien to us.
There's no such thing as schools having their own baseball / soccer / volleyball / whatever teams.
There might be a few exceptions, but it's not the norm.
There's gym classes twice a week on highschools, basically similar to what Starver describes. Mostly gym teachers try to do a different sport / excercise every week, with some recurring themes.

Sure there's youth competition in many sports. Just not linked to schools.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18359 on: March 21, 2018, 10:46:13 pm »

Did anybody else read "managed to avoid sports at the Fuehrer and Higher levels" or was that just me?
Pages: 1 ... 1222 1223 [1224] 1225 1226 ... 3567