Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227625 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18285 on: March 20, 2018, 11:08:05 am »

I also get the feeling that bragging and getting caught produce inexplicably different judgement reactions in many people, even if the act is the same, and Trump knows this.  It breaks his alpha confidence game if someone else flips it around and brags about bagging him.  If he'd bragged before the accusations, he wouldn't be worried at all.  He's bragged about doing non-sexual illegal stuff, too ("that makes me smart"), so I half wonder if he would have owned the Russia stuff the same way as his taxes, if he had thought to pre-emptively brag in that same "I'm admitting I did something wrong, but not giving details" manner.
Hmm... That's an interesting perspective, SG. I think you have a point there.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18286 on: March 20, 2018, 11:19:37 am »

Damn, I thought redwallzyl meant there was some kind of senator election or somesuch, this time in Maryland.
Thanks for clarification.
I assumed it was a special election or something too. Turns out that "you know the drill" does not get across any actual information.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18287 on: March 20, 2018, 11:23:54 am »

What's a school ressource officer?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: March 20, 2018, 11:30:45 am »

Damn, I thought redwallzyl meant there was some kind of senator election or somesuch, this time in Maryland.
Thanks for clarification.
I was on my phone so could not easily copy paste.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18289 on: March 20, 2018, 11:32:27 am »

What's a school ressource officer?
A cop or group of that are assigned to the school on a continuous basis. They're...controversial.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18290 on: March 20, 2018, 11:32:47 am »

armed guards in schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_resource_officer

Because nobody stops to question,  "Does adding an imposing adult figure with a gun on his hip to a place that is supposed to feel safe, have negative mental effects on student behavior?"
https://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Mental-health-experts-warn-schools-about-armed-4286392.php

Except of course, when they do, and nobody listens to them.

I would be very interested in some analysis on the trends of increasing school violence, and increased militarization/zero tolerance in schools.  To me it does not seem unreasonable to entertain the thought that maybe treating schools like prison systems, complete with armed guards and draconian punishments, can cause people to snap and go off the deep end.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18291 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:38 pm »

Anecdotal only and obviously it would be a case by case basis, with each officer and location going about it differently, but I've never had anything but good experiences with resource officers, from either the student side or the school employee side. It's definitely a job that requires a certain attitude that might not be 100% common in police officers. But even with my normal nervousness around police, I got used to the presence of one always at the school.

They got a lot of kids who might not see police as a positive figure seeing them on a daily basis as non-threatening, if perhaps even pleasant sometimes. When needed it was an extra step above school punishment. A kid might sneer at a teacher, a dean or even a principal, but that uniform is a whole other level. Not 100% effective, but often it's what a kid needs to see logic. A scare tactic, yes, but one that might keep the kid out of worse trouble in the future.

Can't speak for all, but I've interacted personally(beyond simply seeing them in the halls, it'd be a dozen or more if you counted those) with 4 different resource officers throughout my life. And it was never a bad experience. They all seemed to be disposed to dealing well with kids. And I can't even say they were all great people. (One had a divorce/affair situation that was messy enough it made it to the local news.) But in school they were professional, they cared about the kids, and if it ever came to "pulling rank" you knew it was because it was a serious situation and they were doing what they could to keep the kids out of trouble rather than simply be there as a guard or as some sort of muscle.

With that said, there was, in the last few months, a local news story of a resource officer a county or two over found out to have been molesting kids. So obviously there are bad ones out there. But that's true of any school official.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18292 on: March 20, 2018, 12:48:17 pm »

Not the point.

The point is that the school is not a prison, teachers are not a high authority, and neither is the school system.  A school is a place to send a child for an education. If the school is concerned about outsiders shooting the school, then guards should be outside the school.  Why are the guards INSIDE the school?  Because the shooters are more often than not, the students themselves.

Why?

Because the students snap, for one reason or another.

Why do the students snap?

Answer that question, you solve the problem with school shootings.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18293 on: March 20, 2018, 12:51:33 pm »

personally i blame the boomers

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18294 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:41 pm »

However, the government refuses to let some studies be done on guns.

The other issue is funding, given how poorly underfunded many schools are, they may not have the resources to actually deal with the problems underlying why students snap. Naturally, politicians are attempting to deal with the symptom rather than the disease itself and the cure they're attempting may be worse than the disease.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18295 on: March 20, 2018, 01:00:33 pm »

Not the point.

The point is that the school is not a prison, teachers are not a high authority, and neither is the school system.  A school is a place to send a child for an education. If the school is concerned about outsiders shooting the school, then guards should be outside the school.  Why are the guards INSIDE the school?  Because the shooters are more often than not, the students themselves.

Why?

You want to reform the educational system? Change the federally and state mandated ways that schools have to do their job? Have at it. I'm 100% with you that the whole system is fucked.

But under the current rules. The way they're forced to do things, and with all the given shit that happens as a result, school resource officers are a good thing.

Blame the shitty system that causes the symptoms not the medicine that while perhaps having some unwanted side effects does help out a lot with the symptoms that occur.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18296 on: March 20, 2018, 01:03:08 pm »

I wouldn't go so far as to definitely equate 'guards' as an always major factor in kids going off the deep end. 
Not all of them are 'armed thugs' that makes no effort to integrate themselves into the school.

But yes, schools are little dictatorships/tyrannies.  Staff are indeed a higher authority, they have to be.  They are not dealing with sober adults.  They are dealing with smaller perpetually drunk adults.  The school is a place for a child to be educated, but it is also essentially a poorly run daycare. 
Schools only have so much of a budget and under normal circumstances can't just refuse to admit a child.  They have so many students per teacher that it is very likely for more then a few to slip through the cracks.
(Public schools anyways.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18297 on: March 20, 2018, 01:07:49 pm »

Oh yeah, 14 year old black girls being running tackled into a tile floor by a 6'5" armed meathead and leaving blood on the ground is such a good thing, no other way to manage those people, those kids need to see the way things really are for them.

I love it when people immediately ply an argument of necessity and absolutism without the slightest consideration of an alternative, except perhaps to chuckle to themselves at how unrealistic the rest of the world is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18298 on: March 20, 2018, 01:12:26 pm »

I think my high school got a resource officer the year after a kid got (non-fatally) stabbed out back of the school. Of course, there were cops walking a beat at my grade school before that too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18299 on: March 20, 2018, 01:13:40 pm »

Not the point.

Why?

You want to reform the educational system? Change the federally and state mandated ways that schools have to do their job? Have at it. I'm 100% with you that the whole system is fucked.

But under the current rules. The way they're forced to do things, and with all the given shit that happens as a result, school resource officers are a good thing.

Blame the shitty system that causes the symptoms not the medicine that while perhaps having some unwanted side effects does help out a lot with the symptoms that occur.

Didn't you mention some while back some experiences of yours with school resource officers which weren't good ones? Or at least your experience of it. Might have been on the police brutality thread rather than this one.

I think my high school got a resource officer the year after a kid got (non-fatally) stabbed out back of the school. Of course, there were cops walking a beat at my grade school before that too.

Having a school be part of a cops route when walking a beat sounds like it'd be typical for inner cities.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:15:29 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 3566