Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229076 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18165 on: March 15, 2018, 10:08:46 pm »

Trump has replaced 4 of the 23 people generally recognized as cabinet-level. It's more the timing of the removals and the status of the officials in question. You're more likely to remove, say, the Ambassador to the United Nations than the Secretary of State. In fact, no modern Secretary of State got removed quite like Tillerson did, so it's big news all on its own. And of course, Trump can't remove his Vice President until the 2020 election.

Really? I could've sworn it was more.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18166 on: March 15, 2018, 10:16:07 pm »

A lot of important people in important positions have been removed. But there's only 15 cabinet seats proper and another 8 who sit on cabinet meetings.

There's also still plenty of unfilled positions all over the place in the lower echelons of the White House. If what I read is to be believed, Tillerson didn't even fill out his immediate subordinates.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18167 on: March 15, 2018, 10:30:09 pm »

Trump has replaced 4 of the 23 people generally recognized as cabinet-level. It's more the timing of the removals and the status of the officials in question. You're more likely to remove, say, the Ambassador to the United Nations than the Secretary of State. In fact, no modern Secretary of State got removed quite like Tillerson did, so it's big news all on its own. And of course, Trump can't remove his Vice President until the 2020 election.

Really? I could've sworn it was more.

The publicly bleeding revolving door of a White House staffing can certainly make it look like that. Plus, as MSH said, theres tons of positions left unfilled, apparently intentional on Trumps part.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18168 on: March 15, 2018, 10:37:33 pm »

Also a lot of people have quit. combine that with the firing and the positions never filled in the first place and its really bad. Republicans, intentionally breaking the government then using it as an excuse to break it more.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18169 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:07 pm »

Aren't most of those in the White House though? I know CNN has a graph of unfilled positions somewhere.

It just goes to show that removing those positions doesn't remove the underlying bureauacracy, which is still grinding on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18170 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:32 pm »

A lot of important people in important positions have been removed. But there's only 15 cabinet seats proper and another 8 who sit on cabinet meetings.

There's also still plenty of unfilled positions all over the place in the lower echelons of the White House. If what I read is to be believed, Tillerson didn't even fill out his immediate subordinates.
Far as I've picked up, probably intentionally. Tillerson's apparently been screwing the ever loving hell out of the state department, and deliberately. To the point it's actually questionable if being replaced by senior igneous extrusion actually will be worse for the department and country or not. Probably will be, mind you, 'cause it's doubtful he won't continue tillerson's shtick with an extra side of whatever his personal terriblenesses are, but it makes things competitive with ol' volcaniprick.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18171 on: March 16, 2018, 06:11:54 am »

Heh, Trump has been bragging about how he told lies to Canadian president Trudeau. He doesn't even deny telling lies anymore.
Trump admitted that he completely made up that the US have a trade deficit with Canada in a recent conversation with Trudeau.

According to the Washington Post, Trump made 1950 false, and/or misleading statements in his first year as president. That's 5.6 lies per day.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18172 on: March 16, 2018, 06:13:21 am »

Were any of those lies under oath? Can we get a repeat of Bill Clinton and impeach impeach impeach?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #18173 on: March 16, 2018, 06:29:01 am »

"Mr Trump typically does not include services when he talks about trade deficits - even though services represent about 80% of America's economy."

Wut? That's stupid, you're stupid, stop being stupid! Services are basically what 'First world countries' trade in nowadays, not including them is basically claiming to a shop "If I don't count what I'm buying from you, I'm just giving you money for free".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18174 on: March 16, 2018, 08:16:33 am »

To be fair, services are harder to export that goods, so goods amount for  ~2/3 of american exports and (source) and ~5/6 of American imports. The US DOES run a trade surplus in services, but not that large compared to the deficit in goods.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #18175 on: March 16, 2018, 10:49:39 am »

Even then, with US-Canada trade the US runs a trade surplus overall with Canada by it's own counting, and that is done because of the service industry running a larger surplus than the goods deficit.

So not including that is being deliberately wrong.

Western economies progressed from agrarian to industrial (there was a revolution and everything), and they're progressing/have progressed again from industrial to tertiary. This is like measuring trade by measuring only trade in hand-made goods and pretending the big factories aren't a part of it anymore to appeal to the tattered remnants of the cottage industry.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:59:44 am by MorleyDev »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18176 on: March 16, 2018, 01:58:35 pm »

So not including that is being deliberately wrong.

Pfft, the Donald is using alternative facts, it is never wrong.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18177 on: March 16, 2018, 06:55:39 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18178 on: March 16, 2018, 07:53:22 pm »

What is notable about an tweet that is about as insightful as your average YouTube comment?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18179 on: March 16, 2018, 07:57:18 pm »

Salmongod thought it was funny? *shrug*
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 3567