Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226875 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17835 on: March 06, 2018, 05:50:51 pm »

This is more like if someone went up to another person and was like, "Hey, is murdering someone a bad thing to do?" I would not blame the second person for being suspicious of the first in this situation.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: March 06, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »

Facebook survey asks users whether pedophiles should be allowed to solicit “sexual pictures” from underage girls.
We are yet to remove pedophilic elites from power

Someone is getting fired for this. Seriously, wild hypotheticals are fine, but posting them as a survey to random user?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: March 06, 2018, 06:10:55 pm »

Just saw on the news. I'm guessing that he tried to convince Trump to not to the tariffs or something with the tariffs and threatened to resign, Trump went through with it anyway, and Cohn resigned.

Theres also a bit about a source (Cohn?) saying that Trump is emboldening attacks on Chief of Staff Kelly. Not surprised as that's the kind of work environment Trump likes to foster.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17838 on: March 06, 2018, 06:11:20 pm »

Re: Facebook

The responses looked more like a generic range of responses they put after any number of questions. It's an odd question, for sure. But I really doubt it's actually facebook edging their toe in the door of condoning pedophilia.

If I had to guess, there's probably a team somewhere that comes up with survey questions. They were given a topic like "Things which users might not want to see on their timeline." Members of the team threw questions into the pot. The pot didn't get curated quite well enough and this one slipped through into the wild.

This comes from a staunch hater of facebook. There's plenty of reasons to hate them without coming up with over the top, ill-supported reasons like this.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17839 on: March 06, 2018, 06:15:17 pm »

I want to start a betting pot on how many cabinet members will be left at the end of the term.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17840 on: March 06, 2018, 06:28:00 pm »

I want to start a betting pot on how many original cabinet members will be left at the end of the term.

FIFY since that's a bit more accurate and more logical to bet on. Also, Gary Cohn wasn't a cabinet member, just his top advisor.

It should also be noted that Cohn was the last globalist trade advisor with any sort of heft against the nationalist trade wing.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:09 pm »

This is more like if someone went up to another person and was like, "Hey, is murdering someone a bad thing to do?" I would not blame the second person for being suspicious of the first in this situation.
Maybe, but it would be more like "Do you personally think murdering is a bad thing to do?". Facebook is trying to collect data, not solicit advice from its users.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:03 pm »

Maybe, but it would be more like "Do you personally think murdering is a bad thing to do?". Facebook is trying to collect data, not solicit advice from its users.

On it's own, collecting data is fine, but there is a difference between asking something sensible vs asking something which only has one answer, "Of fucking course not, no!". Not to mention what the law says.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: March 06, 2018, 10:51:18 pm »

*timidly puts on the 'that guy' hat*

Uhm... Not every culture adheres to the "No sexy with children" societal mores. I would google for some examples, but I am at work atm, and that is bad juju to do. (There are at least 3 that I have heard of, and they tend toward being "primitive", but they do exist. Historically, you have ancient greece, and a few others.)

This is not an endorsement, just a needed rupture of the echo chamber.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17844 on: March 06, 2018, 10:57:12 pm »

Yes, other cultures are different, but this is obviously in the context of our cultures social mores.

And yes, I'm aware of Ancient Greece and their thing with sex.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17845 on: March 06, 2018, 10:59:03 pm »

that's pederasty technically.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17846 on: March 06, 2018, 11:45:13 pm »

"only has one answer"? No matter what question you ask, someone out there will give you an answer you didn't expect. Because this universe likes its chaos an unpredictability, and especially humans are not all the same.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: March 07, 2018, 02:49:07 am »

Uhm... Not every culture adheres to the "No sexy with children" societal mores. I would google for some examples, but I am at work atm, and that is bad juju to do. (There are at least 3 that I have heard of, and they tend toward being "primitive", but they do exist. Historically, you have ancient greece, and a few others.)
I don't know the details of the thing with Ancient Greece, but it is most likely because life expectancy was much, much shorter in those days and therefore people were considered adults at an earlier age (basically as soon as they hit puberty.)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: March 07, 2018, 03:00:05 am »

I don't know the details of the thing with Ancient Greece, but it is most likely because life expectancy was much, much shorter in those days and therefore people were considered adults at an earlier age (basically as soon as they hit puberty.)

Not... exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty_in_ancient_Greece
(See note 11.)

The consent of the boy was more important than the age. If the boy was able to assert that the relationship was consensual, there was not a grounds for prosecution or declaration of perversion.  Typically it was performed when the boy was in the early teens, (just before puberty), as a rite of initiation into manhood. 

The cultures I mentioned prior though....   Those involve actual child sex-- like the full article kind, not the Greek intercrural kind.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: March 07, 2018, 03:05:08 am »

Isn't it only relatively recently that teenage sexuality became taboo?... like mid last century that it really became strongly established as not ok?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 3566