Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225524 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17730 on: March 02, 2018, 04:58:21 pm »

So honest question: How dead is the American steel industry and if dead, what can be done to fix it?

It's a strategic industry. No sane country would just let those die off.
*cough*Thatcher*cough*

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17731 on: March 02, 2018, 05:01:57 pm »

So honest question: How dead is the American steel industry and if dead, what can be done to fix it?

It's a strategic industry. No sane country would just let those die off.
*cough*Thatcher*cough*
Well what else would you expect of a arch neoliberal.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17732 on: March 02, 2018, 05:07:41 pm »

I'm wondering if Trump has just been playing too much Victoria 2 lately. Steel, coal, and high tariffs?
If Trump is playing Vic2, he should know that liquor factories are the way to go.

Not an economist(in fact I dropped out of the only economy class I ever took on the first day.) but doesn't it seem like most developed economies would prefer to be importing the raw materials for things and exporting produced goods?
Speaking of Victoria Economics... You've just accurately described the 19th century (and possibly the 18th and as well) economic case for imperialism and colonialism. Conquer resources militarily and diplomatically, extract there and trade to the metropole, metropole refines and sells it back.

Of course, things are somewhat more complicated than that now... For a variety of reasons.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17733 on: March 02, 2018, 05:21:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I spent waaaay too much time looking at that picture.

Or too little.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17734 on: March 02, 2018, 05:23:15 pm »

if he is basing this on Victoria politics, doesn't he know that you should jack up tariffs all the way only when tariff efficiency is low? later, when tariffs are 100% efficient, it is better to have low (yet positive) tariffs to allow your pops and your industry to acquire stuff more easily.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17735 on: March 02, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I spent waaaay too much time looking at that picture.

Or too little.
All hail the mighty Bagger.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17736 on: March 02, 2018, 07:19:49 pm »

That is a fascinating story actually, and can I say how sad it is that the Greatest are dying off a little too late to avoid having to watch their grandkids (and in many cases kids) do their best to fuck everyone over by implementing a cultural stasis centered on the 1950's?

I can't feel sympathy for the Greatests.  Their prime years were the same that saw a U.S. culture most blatantly obsessed with world domination, and also presided over the most domestically abusive government programs (human experimentation, anyone?).  They broke unionization, set up most of today's megacorporations, spearheaded the trend towards toxic outsourcing practices, etc.  Fighting WW2 does not absolve them of everything.  They may not have been the ones that initiated all of these things, but they're the ones who did all the grunt work that set us on course to the problems that are exploding in our faces today.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17737 on: March 02, 2018, 07:42:10 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/business/europe-steel-tariffs-trump.html

There might be tariffs on motorcycles (Harley-Davidson), bourbon whiskey and blue jeans. Striking at the heart of America. The trade war is beginning.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17738 on: March 02, 2018, 07:53:23 pm »

That is a fascinating story actually, and can I say how sad it is that the Greatest are dying off a little too late to avoid having to watch their grandkids (and in many cases kids) do their best to fuck everyone over by implementing a cultural stasis centered on the 1950's?

I can't feel sympathy for the Greatests.  Their prime years were the same that saw a U.S. culture most blatantly obsessed with world domination, and also presided over the most domestically abusive government programs (human experimentation, anyone?).  They broke unionization, set up most of today's megacorporations, spearheaded the trend towards toxic outsourcing practices, etc.  Fighting WW2 does not absolve them of everything.  They may not have been the ones that initiated all of these things, but they're the ones who did all the grunt work that set us on course to the problems that are exploding in our faces today.
Most of those trends were in place in the Gilded Age and got shoved out of the way by all that fuss over in Europe until enough people forgot what it was like before the New Deal and thought it sounded fun.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17739 on: March 02, 2018, 08:00:56 pm »

Most of those trends were in place in the Gilded Age and got shoved out of the way by all that fuss over in Europe until enough people forgot what it was like before the New Deal and thought it sounded fun.

They were in place before, but there was actual pushback against them.  People literally fought for labor rights during the Gilded Age, and they made progress that we still take for granted today.  But the Greatests used the combination of Cold War paranoia, coincidental post-war prosperity, and various new abusable state apparatus to eliminate any will from the populace to maintain that struggle.  Not a good legacy in my book.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17740 on: March 02, 2018, 08:04:31 pm »

They were in place before, but there was actual pushback against them.  People literally fought for labor rights during the Gilded Age, and they made progress that we still take for granted today.  But the Greatests used the combination of Cold War paranoia, coincidental post-war prosperity, and various new abusable state apparatus to eliminate any will from the populace to maintain that struggle.  Not a good legacy in my book.
It is disturbing how much people seem to have lost the will to fight for themselves. So many just bow down unthinking to the alter of corporate control.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17741 on: March 02, 2018, 08:16:02 pm »

I'm more and more convinced that all world leaders are simply toddlers.  "We don't like what you're doing, so we're going to do it back to you just MORE!  And call you names too!"

It's also funny (in the sad sense, not the amusing sense) that that article talks about adding tariffs to luxury goods like motorcycles and bourbon in response to an action on commodity pricing that is only the way it is because of pretty obviously disparate environments in terms of how  those commodities are produced in different countries.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17742 on: March 02, 2018, 08:18:55 pm »

If they really wanted to hit us where it hurts, they'd put tariffs on movies and electronic entertainment. I feel like that's way more relevant to what American produces than steel, booze and pants.

Honestly those items strike me as someone's out-dated ideas about what represents American production these days.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17743 on: March 02, 2018, 08:42:33 pm »

Ugh restoring free trade after Trump is going to be be a nightmare. Nobody is going to trust the US again....
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17744 on: March 02, 2018, 08:57:15 pm »

I think everyone's going to be a little shook, in and out of the USA.  We've all gotten a reminder that the US can shift course wildly depending on elections.*

Our NATO allies stuck with us through Vietnam and Iraq.  The difference I see here is that neither of those things was specifically targeted at them.  Whereas Trump has been sabre rattling at our allies and cozying up with our enemies.

In a way I think the worldwide media sensation of the Trump presidency could work in our favor.  Back in the Bush days I would anecdotally hear about how people in other countries resented us or thought we were a joke**.  Nowadays I hear about how people worldwide hate Trump specifically.  So that's... better?  I really do feel that people in e.g. Mexico understand that its not the entire US, its this one asshole and Putin.

*and people in the US have gotten a reminder that the metaphorical ship of US government is very hard to turn, much less sink

**beyond what they previously thought
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 3566