Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224361 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17685 on: March 01, 2018, 11:18:24 am »

Can you imagine what kind of person Trump would have become if he'd had to serve with other soldiers and they beat some "don't be a piece of shit" in to him?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17686 on: March 01, 2018, 11:21:50 am »

He'd probably be even more malignant, if perhaps more realistic about the nature of violence and war.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17687 on: March 01, 2018, 11:22:44 am »

Donald trump was excused from active service in the Vietnam conflict due to having bone spurs in his feet.

https://www.snopes.com/2016/08/02/donald-trumps-draft-deferments/

Hence, "Cadet Bonespurs"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17688 on: March 01, 2018, 11:45:38 am »

Still can't get over how dreadfully amusing it is that Pence tried to jump on the grenade and correct what the fat orange dipshit was babbling about... only for him to pull a second grenade out of his pocket!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17689 on: March 01, 2018, 11:47:27 am »

I think the lesson here is that you cant fix stupid, and it is dangerous to everyone to try.

There really is a point where it is no longer possible to re-educate or redirect.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17690 on: March 01, 2018, 11:50:06 am »

Yeah, I am sure there will be fools that will happily write it off as owning the liberals via some absurdist mental contortions, and honestly it'll be forgotten in a week after he decides to start pushing for actual improvements to obamacare for some reason.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17692 on: March 01, 2018, 05:09:59 pm »

It was Sen. Tammy Duckworth who coined it I believe.
And for more context, duckworth is a relatively young (as senators go) double amputee veteran, who has had some rather pointed words to direct towards trump on subjects related to military service, among other things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17693 on: March 01, 2018, 08:11:44 pm »

So, who's ready for a trade war?
I think he crashed the stock market a bit with that.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17694 on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:01 pm »

"We want free and fair trade which is why we're gonna introduce tarrifs to unfairly target certain imports."

The level of disconnect is getting to amazing levels. Soon you guys will be able to plug wires into the extreme ends of the logic here and use the free energy. Who needs a functioning relationship with the rest of the world when you can get free orange-power.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17695 on: March 02, 2018, 03:55:49 am »

In the exclusive early March edition of "Insomniac MSH doesn't have a grudge against the Baby Boomers, it's better described as a vortex of disgust":

Pew Research Center has officially ruined everything by setting 1996 as the millennial cut off age. Booooooooo! You went to all the fuckin trouble to stop saying Gen Y and now you pull this shit? Make Words Great Again Bonelessk1899!

This is because Pew has published a comprehensive study on politics over the generation gap, confirming what we knew all along: People do not magically morph into Jerry Falwell after turning 25, getting a job, having children, or having to live with Republicans. In fact, for some unknowable reason, millennials became dramatically more left wing this past year. How mysterious. I'm sure the free market will correct this trend.

(also the Obamacare question is fucking brutal to the Baby Boomers, even the ultraconservative and appropriately unmentioned Silent generation thinks the government should ensure healthcare is provided, it's literally just them who disagree)

But even if they can't talk some sense into those college commies, at least the GOP still has their successful base of voters oh shit stay back. No Death, take the young instead! The prophesied time has not yet come! All will be ashes and blood, as was foretold! (also RIP Gen X, got passed over entirely)

It'll be fine. This is fine. Nothing ever has to change. We built this country, not Them. We are eternal.

Also, Christian authors? You are way, way too late to this party. Like, you actually missed the party by a literal decade if not more. I really want to know how comprehensive simultaneous failure to address a critical problem like this happens. Are human beings really just that arrogant?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:59:51 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17696 on: March 02, 2018, 04:48:17 am »

"We want free and fair trade which is why we're gonna introduce tarrifs to unfairly target certain imports."

The level of disconnect is getting to amazing levels. Soon you guys will be able to plug wires into the extreme ends of the logic here and use the free energy. Who needs a functioning relationship with the rest of the world when you can get free orange-power.

Free, orangreen energy? Sign me the fuck up for that.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17697 on: March 02, 2018, 04:57:21 am »

Also, Christian authors? You are way, way too late to this party. Like, you actually missed the party by a literal decade if not more. I really want to know how comprehensive simultaneous failure to address a critical problem like this happens. Are human beings really just that arrogant?

It looks like most of the authors referenced in that article are themselves Millennial.  So I assume it's older generations being either oblivious to the problem, or at a loss on what to do.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17698 on: March 02, 2018, 08:25:03 am »

I think, in general, the "older" generations have the experience that getting things done takes work, not just rhetoric, where the "younger" generations think just having an idea is good enough.  This is exacerbated in recent years because the internet makes everything "instant".  This is why you get stories of young people getting jobs, wanting to change the world, and getting burned out in 6 months because they haven't changed the world yet.  To borrow a phrase of some psychologist I can't remember, "[Young people] want to get to the top of Everest but forget there is a long climb."

For instance - I'd love better, more affordable health care. But you don't get it by the law that we had and then had changed - you get it by changing cultural incentives and making it easier to get basic care.  But that takes a generation of changing the hold the AMA has on medical licensing, lowering barriers to entry to providing basic care, etc.  It can't be done in a year or two.

I'm all for reducing gun violence, but it's not going to happen by issuing a law to ban guns or make it harder to get a license. It's going to be a generation of improving social interactions to avoid the kind of isolation and emotional pain that gives rise to the desire for such an action.

(I realize that reality is somewhere between the extremes of "generations" and "instant", and policy changes do help kick off the longer-term process.  But I've no illusions that the policy changes are sufficient or will have "immediate" results.)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #17699 on: March 02, 2018, 08:25:37 am »

Are human beings really just that arrogant?

Yes.[1]

[1] The last 5000 years of recorded history.
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 3566