Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4222104 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17550 on: February 27, 2018, 10:29:45 am »

I think the actual thing preventing fascist totalitarianism is that it's... simply not profitable? Sure, we have the high tech drones and satellites or whatever NOW, but those won't last forever, they're expensive toys that only a massively capitalistic nation can field. Oppressive regimes have total control, but they also strangle the moneymaking capability right out of their oppressed subjects.

Moreover, totalitarianism regimes are just very unstable due to their fundamental, necessary makeup. See CGP Grey's "Rules for Rulers" and optionally read the book that video is inspired from "Dictator's Handbook". It's a really good read!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17551 on: February 27, 2018, 10:46:17 am »

If it was the Obamas I'd accept this.
Doesn't matter much who the first choice is, you start off with an all American Royal family, a couple generations down the line the throne gets claimed by Brazilian Hanoverians
They do have a knack for getting everywhere, those Hanoverians.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17552 on: February 27, 2018, 12:01:15 pm »

President Barack III von Hannover-Habsburg-Karling has a good ring to it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17553 on: February 27, 2018, 12:09:50 pm »

of Ulm

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17554 on: February 27, 2018, 02:36:26 pm »

According to ABC news:

Nearly 20 companies, including Metlife, Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Best Western, Wyndham, United Airlines, and Delta, have ended NRA partnerships since the shooting.

The NRA has pushed back aggressively, calling the departure of its corporate partners a "shameful display of political and civic cowardice."
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17555 on: February 27, 2018, 02:41:29 pm »

Now it's gonna git gud. Ready thy popcorn.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17556 on: February 27, 2018, 03:00:21 pm »

It's actually mildly interesting. Even some that haven't withdrawn discounts have been speaking for gun control (and, conversely, some that have haven't been doing much else). Fedex, for once, actually had a position on the subject that almost looked reasonable. Didn't withdraw the discount, but stated the reason as it being something fairly trivial and effectively procedural to acquire, and then spoke (though, as always, it remains to be seen if it ends up being more than words) in support of some control measures.

Oh, also, re: delta there's apparently been a rather impressively blatant threat of blackmail and corruption publicly announced by one of the (republican, of course) politicritters with hefty jurisdiction over atlanta on the subject. Seems like as far as the GOP's concerned, not sucking off the (lyin' out their ass, now that I notice the end of that article) NRA is reason to change the tax code to screw someone.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17557 on: February 27, 2018, 03:04:28 pm »

It's good to be from VA sometimes.

FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17558 on: February 27, 2018, 03:16:49 pm »

Cagle, a self-described "lifelong member of the NRA," said corporations should opt to donate portions of their profits to mental-health treatments and school-safety initiatives if they wanted to help prevent gun violence.

Isn't that what they're doing by paying taxes and shit that the government then should distribute to said services?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17559 on: February 27, 2018, 03:29:25 pm »

It's actually mildly interesting. Even some that haven't withdrawn discounts have been speaking for gun control (and, conversely, some that have haven't been doing much else). Fedex, for once, actually had a position on the subject that almost looked reasonable. Didn't withdraw the discount, but stated the reason as it being something fairly trivial and effectively procedural to acquire, and then spoke (though, as always, it remains to be seen if it ends up being more than words) in support of some control measures.

Oh, also, re: delta there's apparently been a rather impressively blatant threat of blackmail and corruption publicly announced by one of the (republican, of course) politicritters with hefty jurisdiction over atlanta on the subject. Seems like as far as the GOP's concerned, not sucking off the (lyin' out their ass, now that I notice the end of that article) NRA is reason to change the tax code to screw someone.

Not to mention that Delta is a major employer in Atlanta.

Anyways, turns out that Trump hasn't ordered the NSA to respond at the Russian hackers yet.

Given how he is so triggered by the concept of his election getting messed with and his legitimacy, you'd think that he'd get equally triggered by Russia meddling in 2018 and 2020 that his ego would compel him to do something about it. So, it really doesn't make sense to me because Congress is going to have to examine every election from now on to see how much Russia screwed with the elections until we get it dealt with.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17560 on: February 27, 2018, 04:09:59 pm »

In other news, Trump has appointed a campaign chief for the election in 2020, 979 days prior to it actually happening.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17561 on: February 27, 2018, 04:13:28 pm »

I'm sure nothing will happen that will displease Trump causing him to tweet-fire the man and replace him before the election.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17562 on: February 27, 2018, 04:14:06 pm »

At least someone in this country is optimistic.

Actually I've seen someone with a 2.0 Trump Hat for the 2020 election about a week or two ago.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17563 on: February 27, 2018, 04:19:40 pm »

Maybe it will get rid of some of the compatibility issues.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17564 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:47 pm »

At least someone in this country is optimistic.

Actually I've seen someone with a 2.0 Trump Hat for the 2020 election about a week or two ago.

Shoulda gone with 20.20 for extra nerd points.

Maybe it will get rid of some of the compatibility issues.

lol.

I wonder how much control the RNC will have over the campaign this time because the RNC is the one that takes charge of some parts of the campaign when a Republican president is incumbent? A good deal of the problems out of Trumps candidacy campaign came from hiring z-list people, so, in theory they shouldn't have problems finding top AAA list people for the campaign staff because there is no guarantee that going the z-list route will work the second time and the RNC and Republicans will have an interest in making sure that things are done correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 3566