Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221619 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17475 on: February 25, 2018, 01:40:04 pm »

On the CNN town hall: yes, some questions are scripted but the rationale behind it is to make the people being asked unable to answer yes/no alone and also to keep time moving.

Reference: https://mobile.twitter.com/ewerickson/status/966669521334521857
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17476 on: February 25, 2018, 02:06:10 pm »

Spoiler: becauseprimaries (click to show/hide)

On the CNN town hall: yes, some questions are scripted but the rationale behind it is to make the people being asked unable to answer yes/no alone and also to keep time moving.

That CNN townhall was probably the first time CNN really got the town hall format to work for them; usually it's dueling talking points no matter who is on the stage.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17477 on: February 25, 2018, 02:36:17 pm »

Yup, gotta plug the holes before you start pumping out the water that's sinking the ship. Stop their sales first, then after a while you make their registrationg mandatory with hefty fines if you fail to say, check in with the status of your weapon once a year.
That won't work unless you also add a law where, if your gun is stolen, you still remain partially responsible for anyone killed or injured with it. Or people will just 'report their guns stolen'. Plus, another law to make you never be able to purchase a firearm again if one gets stolen from you, because you obviously aren't responsible in how you keep and secure it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:39:33 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17478 on: February 25, 2018, 02:39:02 pm »

The problem is the "town hall" format just doesn't work on the scale they're trying to make it work on.

Town halls are meant for a few hundred people AT MOST with actual questions numbering in maybe the dozens? The tradeoff is that with a town hall, even the smallest question can be addressed. It's meant for... guess what... town halls. Where you have a small community that needs to address its leadership.

You simply can't fit in all the questions, or even a representative sample of questions into such a large production and still make it seem like something real and representative of the common people. You're always going to have to filter things out. Script things. And when you start doing that, you start controlling the narrative and then it's no longer a town hall. It's just a scripted Q&A session with an audience.

I can't say it enough, fuck CNN for pulling this shit. But if we're being honest, everyone on stage there but Nelson was an idiot for actually attending. (NRA may get a pass too, because they can basically say whatever crazy shit they want, supporters gonna support and haters gonna hate. Nothing that happened there under their control mattered one bit.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17479 on: February 25, 2018, 02:41:37 pm »

I almost think it wouldn't be bad if the place somehow started a minor blaze. At least that would hopefully catch the eye of anyone smart enough to realize that this is a terrible, terrible idea to have that much paper.
And a good reason for the police to do door to door raids to 're-register' all firearms, because all registry was lost.

Haha, I just had a mental image of the police chief standing before the judge and saying 'sir, I need a warrant to search the homes of all US citizens, please'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17480 on: February 25, 2018, 03:02:54 pm »

I almost think it wouldn't be bad if the place somehow started a minor blaze. At least that would hopefully catch the eye of anyone smart enough to realize that this is a terrible, terrible idea to have that much paper.
And a good reason for the police to do door to door raids to 're-register' all firearms, because all registry was lost.

Haha, I just had a mental image of the police chief standing before the judge and saying 'sir, I need a warrant to search the homes of all US citizens, please'
Big Guvment trying to pry into the lives of lawabiding citizens.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17481 on: February 25, 2018, 04:32:09 pm »

I would be rather upset if such a thing came to pass. Go watch V for Vendetta. Trading rights to an authoritarian dictatorship for a feeling of safety is never a good idea unless the dictator's name is Cincinnatus.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17482 on: February 25, 2018, 05:02:47 pm »

Yup, gotta plug the holes before you start pumping out the water that's sinking the ship. Stop their sales first, then after a while you make their registrationg mandatory with hefty fines if you fail to say, check in with the status of your weapon once a year. Maybe offer to buy them off of folks, trade ins for less dangerous shit are an option too.
Anything can be worked out once that first step of stemming the tide is made.

Also, like any connected market, reducing supply has ripple-on effects through the whole market.

e.g. say you restrict AR-15 sales. First, that reduces the supply of new AR-15s and it reduces the amount of new AR-15s destined for re-sale on or on the black market. But additionally anyone who already owns an AR-15 will be much less inclined to sell it, because they're harder to replace. e.g. rarity = "collectable", so people stop trading them. Additionally, some of the demand for AR-15s will be displaced to other firearms, which will push up their price on the secondary markets.

Increased age restrictions on buying guns is a good start, since it's a policy you could make palatable to both liberals and conservatives.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:06:45 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17483 on: February 25, 2018, 07:30:59 pm »

Or they're the AI from the Culture. In which case we get immortality, a post-scarcity economy, maximum freedoms, and the possibility to ascend to another plane of existence if a sufficient number of us choose to do so simultaneously.
Never trust an AI with your ability to die. That's how you end up having to scream, but lack a mouth. We must dissent famalam

Increased age restrictions on buying guns is a good start, since it's a policy you could make palatable to both liberals and conservatives.
Another would be legal pressures to get gun owners to go to training courses. These courses would raise the expenses required to get into guns, already excluding much young people, while promoting safe storage/usage practice and expertise in gun use, making it palatable to both pro and anti gun proliferation wings

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17484 on: February 25, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »

Some interesting new new research. Chicago has had a dropping murder rate sense the 90s but recent looks at the number of shootings recorded by the cities medical administration has shown no decrease. The hospitals have just gotten insanely good at trauma medicine. That does not bode well for the city or the county for that matter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17485 on: February 25, 2018, 09:28:09 pm »

Some interesting new new research. Chicago has had a dropping murder rate sense the 90s but recent looks at the number of shootings recorded by the cities medical administration has shown no decrease. The hospitals have just gotten insanely good at trauma medicine. That does not bode well for the city or the county for that matter.
That's pretty Dorfy. High casualty rates but legendary doctors

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17486 on: February 25, 2018, 11:56:00 pm »

It's both good and bad news. It's good that the murder rate is down, regardless of why it's down. And it suggests that if they can in fact knock their gun crime problem down in the future, they'll see big further reductions. If the reduction was in fact only because of reduced crime, then it wouldn't be at all clear that they can elicit further reductions.

the other thing it does though, is highlight how both the gun problem and the expensive healthcare problem could be adding to USA's relatively high murder rate, when you stack the two things together.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17487 on: February 26, 2018, 12:02:26 am »

I have a potential solution to the gun crime problem, (itself an extension of improper gun ownership)---

People who buy guns, and live in/near a city, need to log X hours of range time with that hardware each month, or the feds come and take it.  Make it something reasonable, like 12hrs in a month period. (Thats 3 hours every week during the month; about a nice shooting session at the range every weekend.) It makes owning multiple firearms arduous, and people that buy guns because of small penis syndrome will quickly tire of the requirement. People that actually have a need for a firearm will benefit from the practice using it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17488 on: February 26, 2018, 12:13:59 am »

Three hours a week seems excessive, however the idea has some value.

If certification is required, then a huge certification-related industry will spring up. e.g. in Australia, except for farmers and other professions, for recreational gun use, you need to be a member of a gun club (of various types) to have guns, so of course, the gun clubs love that set of rules and do their best to enforce them for you.

Or just do what Switzerland does: everyone must own a gun (is this necessarily true, actually? Can't recall if it is required or simply just that a lot of people do). Everyone must also join the military.

Switzerland = Red Herring
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:20:56 am by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17489 on: February 26, 2018, 12:40:39 am »

I know, I just like making the equally laughable suggestion that everyone in the US should join the military.
That certainly be interesting if it was a thing. I wonder how much it would increase the budget. Also I think that would effectively give everyone universal healthcare.
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 3566