Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4216946 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17251 on: February 15, 2018, 06:35:24 pm »

That is a distinctly probable route, but modern Russia is the result of the collapse of the former Soviet Union.

What form the new structure of this geographical region will take was not part of my speculation.

It will probably more closely resemble China. It may collapse and fragment, but only for as long as it takes for someone to reassert control over the whole thing because it's all more naturally united than separate.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:38:56 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17252 on: February 15, 2018, 07:40:39 pm »

Alex Jones UNVEILS Globalist-ordered school shooting program to dominate America
The world would be vastly improved if he died. I despise people like that with every fiber of my being. They are a cancer.

The current state of my country has made me extremely bitter if you hadn't noticed.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:47:33 pm by redwallzyl »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17253 on: February 15, 2018, 09:23:57 pm »

Why can't somebody go on a shooting rampage in the InfoWars studio? I mean, it'd be the first mass shooting in history where nothing of value was lost.

Meanwhile, social media evidence suggesting that the shooter was anti-Antifa, anti-Muslim, wore a MAGA hat, and was possibly connected with a Florida white supremacist group. Fucking Florida, man -- even their Hispanics are white trash (although, we already knew that thanks to George Zimmerman).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17254 on: February 15, 2018, 09:25:41 pm »

At this point, if white supremacists in America don't downgrade to the brown paper bag test they're fucked, so I'm not overly surprised.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17255 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:51 pm »

Do I even want to know what the brown paper bag test is?

As terrible as Alex Jones is, I don’t wish for his death :p really shouldn’t be going there anyway.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17256 on: February 15, 2018, 11:19:17 pm »

Do I even want to know what the brown paper bag test is?

As terrible as Alex Jones is, I don’t wish for his death :p really shouldn’t be going there anyway.

I believe he's implying that America will soon have so few whites that supremacist groups will need to set the bar as 'same skin tone as a brown paper bag or lighter' to be considered white, or cease to exist for lack of available members. Extremely classy, for sure.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17258 on: February 16, 2018, 01:14:00 am »

I rarely comment on the topic of school shootings, but this I have to share.

This teacher gets it. 

This is exactly the attitude that's needed, in my opinion.  It's a cultural problem.  It's in our fear culture, divisiveness, authoritarianism, victim blaming, shitty understanding and lack of regard for bullying, our media that heaps shitloads of attention on violent events to make it a worthy goal for disconnected children who long for attention by any means.  Our culture that heaps on pressure pressure pressure to produce and consume, rewards and idolizes indecency, sensationalizes and frames every difference between people as competition or war, encourages people to divide from others, to make them feel abandoned or worse, fails to notice as they build up resentment, and entices them over and over again with the promise that when they feel so emotionally broken that they have nothing to lose, that at least they can make themselves infamous and in a single day send an entire nation into mourning for making them feel the way they do.

I'm in favor of gun control.  But gun control won't address that.  You raise children in this and some are going to snap.  And it just keeps getting worse.  We can try to make it less damaging when people inevitable lash out, but it won't address the root of the problem.  We should want to change things to stop making people broken more than we should want to mitigate the damage broken people can cause.  And maybe believing that there's any hope of addressing the root of the problem is unrealistic.  But that doesn't change the diagnosis.

But at least one teacher gets it and seems to have a pretty good grasp on what she can do within her sphere of influence.  I hope this story gets spread around.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:19:30 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17259 on: February 16, 2018, 02:34:34 am »

I don't think the average teacher has the time to do that.
Love, scriver~

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17260 on: February 16, 2018, 03:02:30 am »

The western capitalist system is built on maintaining fear in the populace. Afraid of growing old? Buy this new ointment that will make you young again, etc. You're scared of losing your job and scared of the candidate that isn't one of your own. The more powerful/richer you are the more you are afraid of.

Is it really so surprising that meemboiiis snap when all they could ever hope to be is a terrified nabob?
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17261 on: February 16, 2018, 10:42:45 am »

The more powerful/richer you are the more you are afraid of.
I am extremely sure that isn't the case, heh.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17262 on: February 16, 2018, 11:24:25 am »

I rarely comment on the topic of school shootings, but this I have to share.

This teacher gets it. 

This is exactly the attitude that's needed, in my opinion.  It's a cultural problem.  It's in our fear culture, divisiveness, authoritarianism, victim blaming, shitty understanding and lack of regard for bullying, our media that heaps shitloads of attention on violent events to make it a worthy goal for disconnected children who long for attention by any means.  Our culture that heaps on pressure pressure pressure to produce and consume, rewards and idolizes indecency, sensationalizes and frames every difference between people as competition or war, encourages people to divide from others, to make them feel abandoned or worse, fails to notice as they build up resentment, and entices them over and over again with the promise that when they feel so emotionally broken that they have nothing to lose, that at least they can make themselves infamous and in a single day send an entire nation into mourning for making them feel the way they do.

I'm in favor of gun control.  But gun control won't address that.  You raise children in this and some are going to snap.  And it just keeps getting worse.  We can try to make it less damaging when people inevitable lash out, but it won't address the root of the problem.  We should want to change things to stop making people broken more than we should want to mitigate the damage broken people can cause.  And maybe believing that there's any hope of addressing the root of the problem is unrealistic.  But that doesn't change the diagnosis.

But at least one teacher gets it and seems to have a pretty good grasp on what she can do within her sphere of influence.  I hope this story gets spread around.

With the preface that I'm not saying we should go back to the way things were or that the past was somehow better. But... there used to be a sort of relief valve.

Kids used to beat each other up. I'm not talking about today's ultraviolent shit that ends up on youtube and facebook, and later on the news as an example of "kids these days" and how "something needs to be done." The fights I was involved with started with maybe a punch or two, and then a scuffle on the ground and things got broken up, either by friends before anything serious happened, or by adults. If adults got involved, there'd be some punishment, but nothing that couldn't be worked past. Unless someone got REALLY hurt it'd just be a few days out of school and then you're back in again like normal.

We've gone so far into into "zero tolerance" mode of violence. That doesn't happen anymore. There's not the same sort of mild scuffles that leave people bruised, but otherwise fine. You can't get away with a minor tumble anymore, since the minor tumble results in more or less the same punishment as the battered and bloody beatdown. So what happens? That violence and resentment builds up until it all bursts out in a single, meant to end it, attack. The kids know they can't get away with anything small, so they hold it in, they bide their time, until they have the perfect moment or they just can't hold it in anymore... and all that time, all that planning, it doesn't lead to a black eye and a stern talking to. It leads to crippling injuries and death. When you know you've only got one shot at someone, you don't just go in to throw a few punches and pull away, satisfied you've dealt a little pain. When you only have one shot, you go in for the kill.

Now, once again, I'm not justifying it. I got my ass kicked in school a number of times. I also threw a few punches myself. I hated it. I hated recieving it, and while it felt good at the moment, I hated having done it afterwards. I wasn't, and I'm still not a violent person. But it happened, and I can't imagine any other way it could have gone, given the circumstances. And I'm thankful I got out of it without more than a few bruises and torn shirts myself. I don't think I ever even bruised anyone else. I never paid attention to the results, but the couple of kids who seriously messed with me backed off fast once I started landing punches on them.

I'm not saying it never got worse for anyone else. I saw worse. I saw kids bloody. Missing teeth. And I'm sure it got even worse. I'm sure people have died under those circumstances as well. But it was a level of violence between none and murder. A sort of relief valve. A way for hormonal kids with poor self control to make their mistake and learn from it and everyone to still come out the end, more or less intact.

I wish I knew a better way so that people could avoid what I experienced and saw. But I also believe in trying to improve upon my and prior generations experience, we've led ourselves into a potentially worse scenario.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17263 on: February 16, 2018, 11:33:22 am »

Bullying and fist fights didn't prevent school shootings in the past, and it's not like either of those don't still exist. It's not the lack of a relief valve, it's that the pressure builds so much faster and more violently than it did in the past. There is a mentality out there in some that they have nothing to lose, that their "cause" is more important than human life. Whether we're talking about Brevik or your garden variety school shooter. They want to punish someone, anyone, for something. Whether that's how fucked up they think the world is, or for how fucked up their life is, someone has to pay. Doesn't matter if the victim is guilty of anything, that's not the point.

I think it comes down to a sense and fear of powerlessness. If you don't like the politics you see around you and can't change them (or more likely aren't willing to put out real civic effort to do so....), you can change the conversation with a gun. If you don't like the society you live in, if you feel it doesn't have a place for you or doesn't give a shit about you, if you feel like you have been victimized by it....you could internalize your struggle, like most adults end up doing, and learn to navigate your emotions in a world you don't control.

Or you can just buy a gun and shoot some people and immediately you've made your case. No one will sympathize with you, no one will mourn you, but they will know you. You won't be invisible anymore by virtue of the number of lives you've ruined.

Put another way I guess: as people's sense of alienation from the culture they live in increases, the more contempt and fear they will hold for that culture. Dial the fear and contempt up high enough, and have someone who doesn't have anything else to really live for (success, goals, a family, loved ones), and you will get someone that will take out their feelings on the rest of the world.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17264 on: February 16, 2018, 11:46:45 am »

Uh. Last I checked this latest guy was straight up trained by a white supremacist group, which so far as what amounts to normal influences for a murder spree goes is fairly unusual, near as I can recall. Don't think it was specifically for the attack, iirc, but yeeaaahh. What happened might not have had too terribly much to do with the school situation and whatnot, per se. Know more later, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 ... 3566