Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1120 1121 [1122] 1123 1124 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210688 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #16815 on: January 30, 2018, 08:55:13 pm »

So, uh. State of the union address in like... ten minutes? Apparently. Chances of me watching it functionally zero, but... still. Corrupt admin notably bought and paid by russian interests phoning in retaliatory measures against hostile foreign power actively undermining electoral process is maybe less interesting than whatever farce is about to cross the airways. Mostly since that's less a question of if it's happening and more one of if the GOP is actually going to give a shit about our country getting sold up the river before someone manages to vote the fucks back into a minority. Spoiler, the craven shits aren't, but eh.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:57:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16816 on: January 30, 2018, 09:30:28 pm »

So, uh. State of the uniom

FTFY. It's a good thing everything is going smoothly for Trump with this address.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16817 on: January 30, 2018, 09:34:47 pm »

Saw a mention of that on Vox's news of the day roundup, heh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16818 on: January 30, 2018, 09:37:34 pm »

Mandatory yearly reminder that the state of the union address really isn't that important and never has been relative to the attention it gets. It's pretty much just a stump speech.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16819 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:44 pm »

He's been touting his achievements and nothing much yet as far as future plans/thoughts, thought that's kind of the whole point.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16820 on: January 30, 2018, 10:56:02 pm »

It’s going to be the best state of the union speech ever!

But—

EVER!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16821 on: January 30, 2018, 10:56:48 pm »

It was boring. It sounded like it could have come from any republican president. Which, for Trump is slightly surprising. But it was just bland.

Democratic response was, as typical of opposition response, bleh.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16822 on: January 30, 2018, 10:57:09 pm »

It’s going to be the best state of the union speech ever!

But—

EVER!
Well one thing's for sure: no one has ever, EVER, in the history of man, had a state of the uniom address better than this one that we're about to have.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16823 on: January 30, 2018, 11:04:32 pm »

It was boring. It sounded like it could have come from any republican president. Which, for Trump is slightly surprising. But it was just bland.

The rebuttal/opposition response at first started sounding like something out of a campaign stop or campaigning for something. Didn't start sounding like an actual rebuttal until about halfway in. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:06:56 pm by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16824 on: January 30, 2018, 11:43:30 pm »

The rebuttal/opposition response at first started sounding like something out of a campaign stop or campaigning for something. Didn't start sounding like an actual rebuttal until about halfway in. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either.

I just keep looking at the democrats and thinking. "Give me a reason to vote for you, please." And they fail every time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16825 on: January 30, 2018, 11:57:27 pm »

Fairly standard sotu, near as I can tell, at least for trump. Will say I agree with some folks observation that the rhetoric re: NK looking notably like rhetoric re: iraq in '02 is pretty god fucking damn concerning.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16826 on: January 31, 2018, 12:03:41 am »

I want to say I don't believe the public will rally around the flag to go butcher North Koreans and probably get nuked or in a war with China...but knowledge of history makes me fear otherwise.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16827 on: January 31, 2018, 12:15:22 am »

I just keep looking at the democrats and thinking. "Give me a reason to vote for you, please." And they fail every time.

Like what reasons?

I want to say I don't believe the public will rally around the flag to go butcher North Koreans and probably get nuked or in a war with China...but knowledge of history makes me fear otherwise.

Polls have shown that people don't really want a war with NK, or at least don't trust Trump to not unilaterally start a war. I've seen some mentions about the rhetoric being similar to Bush's in 2002 and he'll certainly try to spin something.

Still, unlike Iraq, it won't be simple and like Iraq, we will be holding the bag for reconstruction whether we like it or not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16828 on: January 31, 2018, 12:30:47 am »

Unfortunately it's rarely that simple. It would be far from the first time in history that an incident justifying a war had been manufactured with intent. All sorts of things can be done to make sure the public supports the war, which a lot of people who say they don't now will under those circumstances.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16829 on: January 31, 2018, 12:51:48 am »

It bothered me seeing the democrats sulk through the whole thing like a bunch of teenagers. The republicans also acted like teenagers with their ecstatic enthusiasm and jeering towards the democrats, but if anything this created an opportunity for the dems to at least act like the adults in the room. I don't think anyone would question whether the dems sufficiently hate Trump's guts if they had clapped modestly at the large parts of the speech that could've been ripped verbatim from a democrat stump speech 2-3 years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 1120 1121 [1122] 1123 1124 ... 3566