Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210401 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #16770 on: January 26, 2018, 10:53:39 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty weird, but honestly it is very nice usually. I think the only thing that I don't like is that the majority of posts are made by a small number of posters. Oddly enough it relates somewhat to the current discussion in that the pressure of the environment, not an actual forum guideline/law, is what dictates conduct
In a certain sense, politics is the topic which most frequently brushes forum guidelines. It's right on the crossroads between things that are central to GD and things that tend to make people flare up and violate rule one. And a solid chunk of that comes from people talking past each other, though slightly less on the side of deliberate misrepresentation of late. The GD crowd has always been a fairly small group, and most of the abrasive regulars have managed to get themselves banned atop that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16771 on: January 27, 2018, 12:29:30 am »

Yeah, while lurking I saw many a member get banned, which is really a shame

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16772 on: January 27, 2018, 08:27:58 am »

My little sister is a plumber, though I could probably perform any number of plumbing related tasks as I've yet to encounter something I can't take apart and put back together again properly, which is something like 90% of most maintenance tasks apparently once you get all the gunk out.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16773 on: January 27, 2018, 08:58:20 am »

My little sister is a plumber, though I could probably perform any number of plumbing related tasks as I've yet to encounter something I can't take apart and put back together again properly, which is something like 90% of most maintenance tasks apparently once you get all the gunk out.

But are either of you the best value in town?

I'm sorry, the word 'plumber' can't be spoken without this replaying in my head.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16774 on: January 29, 2018, 12:54:55 am »

And a thousand corporals cried out in terror, and were silenced by the staff commander beginning the security powerpoint.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16775 on: January 29, 2018, 01:51:45 am »

I do love unintended consequences. "Let's make a fitness app that tracks location, so we can outline jogging paths that people take and make a neat heatmap of them." No one thought that US military personnel might use this app, or forget to turn their settings to "private", and offer up publicly a detailed map of every US military base in the world. Yet, here we are.

It's not just US military, it's every other military as well as places in Russia showed up apparently.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16776 on: January 29, 2018, 01:57:47 am »

All the more reason to never excorsize* ever.

*Good god it's not even in my list of known spellcheck words.   I suppose I could google how to spell it, but eh, it's funnier this way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16777 on: January 29, 2018, 02:06:26 am »

While this was a mistake on the part of the soldiers (assuming the "private" setting was reasonably obvious)...
Why did Strava release all this data publicly?

It's one thing to say they have the data, or even share parts with news organizations as evidence.  I guess they wanted to make a splash, and become relevant for as long as possible.

And so they willfully exposed American soldiers' locations to the world.  Make of that what you will, I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16778 on: January 29, 2018, 02:30:44 am »

Soldiers are people too.

When companies go out of their way to hide privacy settings (because they reduce the flow of that delicious marketable data), they dont get a free pass when things like this happen. Soldiers arent superior to other humans. They are just given more responsibilities.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16779 on: January 29, 2018, 02:35:34 am »

Soldiers arent superior to other humans.

Omg why don't you support our troops???   :o :o :o :'(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16780 on: January 29, 2018, 02:43:34 am »

Soldiers are people too.

When companies go out of their way to hide privacy settings (because they reduce the flow of that delicious marketable data), they dont get a free pass when things like this happen. Soldiers arent superior to other humans. They are just given more responsibilities.
The company released the data publicly, for some reason.  Deliberately, it would seem.

Soldiers are people, yes, you are correct?  Their deployment areas and specific locations are valuable intel.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16781 on: January 29, 2018, 02:48:35 am »

Missing what I am saying, so I guess I will be blunt.

Companies want to collect this data because it is valuable to their marketing departments. Those same marketing departments want this data *all the time*, not 'some of the time', so they tell their software monkeys that they either cannot disable the tracking, or have to bury the disable feature deep under several layers of options dialog in a disused section of the UI with a sign that says "beware of the leopard" on it.

If these measures are effective at preventing end users from knowing about the tracking in general, the measures will likewise be effective at preventing soldiers (who are just consumers in uniforms) from also knowing about it.  This means that soldiers using the software will then be sending the data, which just so happens to also be a national security issue.

The issue here is not that soldiers need to be held more accountable; it is that these companies need to not bankroll on data collection as an essential part of their business model, and need to openly disclose that they collect the data, and that such data collection can be completely disabled, and how-- very openly.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16782 on: January 29, 2018, 02:56:31 am »

Fair enough, we agree that soldiers are like other people when it comes to using apps.  Companies don't necessarily know, data is collected on everyone.

Except in this case they did know, and specifically released intel on active soldiers, for some reason.
She/they

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16783 on: January 29, 2018, 03:13:27 am »

Fair enough, we agree that soldiers are like other people when it comes to using apps.  Companies don't necessarily know, data is collected on everyone.

Except in this case they did know, and specifically released intel on active soldiers, for some reason.
I wonder; what they put out in response to queries was a pretty basic form letter shifting the blame onto the users.  I don't think they knew in the sense that they really thought this through and still decided to release this intel.  I think that they took all this aggregate data, ran it into a map, and dumped it into the world to drum up interest in their product.  I think they didn't even think about the ramifications of releasing this information.  Even in the military, how many of these soldiers considered the OPSEC ramifications of this, and I'm almost certain the people behind this app are civilians who wouldn't know OPSEC from OPFOR.  Now, you could argue that they *should* have thought about it and known, but that's a rather different thing than arguing that they *did* know and did it regardless.  I really think this was more incompetence than malice: to wit, that they didn't even think of this data as being intel of any sort.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:19:20 am by Culise »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16784 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:58 am »

Yeah, fair enough...  It was probably an accident, initially.
And like Wierd is saying, it's fundamentally on the soldiers for volunteering sensitive data.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 3566