Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4210343 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #16755 on: January 26, 2018, 03:14:15 pm »

Bay12 is better about not strawmanning than most other forums, but it still happens.

On both sides of every debate, as shown in this one
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16756 on: January 26, 2018, 03:40:21 pm »

Bay12 is better about not strawmanning than most other forums, but it still happens.
Yeah.  I think we do about as well as we could on that issue.  Strawmanning is always going to happen on the internet IMO.  To have a healthy debate you need to understand what the other side believes.  Internet anonymity is bad for this.  Because there's no way to tie down what the other side believes unless they choose to let you.  So if someone is like "skub sucks" and that's their entire post, its almost impossible to respond to them.  If someone responds "what you skub haters don't understand is that without skub your skin is dry and flakey," then the first poster can respond with "I'm not anti-skub."  But if the response they get is "finally someone gets it!" then the first poster can respond with "hell yeah, let's show those pro-skub idiots who's boss!"  Every internet poster is basically Shrodinger's politician, not believing anything until they choose to tie it down.  So internet arguments rely on good faith.

Its why posts like "gr8 b8 m8" and nothing else should be deleted by moderators because there's no good way to respond and someone is going to be dumb enough to try.  That or downvoted into being hidden reddit style.  But then you get into the echo chamber which is also almost impossible to avoid on the internet.  Cause if you block the useless posts inevitably you'll begin blocking the unpopular ones (which happens on reddit hardcore, every subreddit has its own narrative that they'll always upvote or downvote over).

I think to have a truly healthy argument you can't come from anonymity.  But then most people I know in RL are unwilling to talk about sensitive issues unless its with people that agree with them or close enough.  Which is hard to blame them for, since those arguments tend to be painful and useless.  I guess what I'm saying is that having arguments is difficult in general.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16757 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:10 pm »

I have to say, I think I finally get where some people are coming from regarding not wanting to post their opinions on the forums. You see, I personally disagree with this discussion regarding the US's press not being "free," albeit on different grounds (whether current press is beholden to government interests does not implicitly make it impossible for press to exist in this country that is not beholden to government interests, etc.), but I was actually hesitant about posting my thoughts on the matter knowing that I would have to defend myself for hours against a few individuals (not a "general" thing as in it's the same individuals across every discussion where this is the case, but that generally whenever there's a rather lopsided discussion on these forums, one side ends up with a few members being a bit more vitriolic) trying to dissuade me or shoehorn my opinion into something that I'm entirely not saying.

I mean, I want to voice my disagreement, but I don't want to deal with hours of having to do random research and deal with posts laden with capslock and screaming. Usually I just end up just not bothering to post as a result, and I imagine I'm not alone.

Aye, I follow closely many threads but post rather infrequently, in part for this reason

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16758 on: January 26, 2018, 04:09:33 pm »

I hope my post wasn't taken as abrasive.  I grew up in a zero censorship environment, so I throw in swear words casually without thinking anything of it.  I see it as applying mild emphasis to what I'm saying, not aggression or anything.  And I try to avoid caps, but used them in this case as parody, which I would never do if it was a poster here that I was parodying.  I can see how these things could be misconstrued.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16759 on: January 26, 2018, 04:10:08 pm »

I have to say, I think I finally get where some people are coming from regarding not wanting to post their opinions on the forums. You see, I personally disagree with this discussion regarding the US's press not being "free," albeit on different grounds (whether current press is beholden to government interests does not implicitly make it impossible for press to exist in this country that is not beholden to government interests, etc.), but I was actually hesitant about posting my thoughts on the matter knowing that I would have to defend myself for hours against a few individuals (not a "general" thing as in it's the same individuals across every discussion where this is the case, but that generally whenever there's a rather lopsided discussion on these forums, one side ends up with a few members being a bit more vitriolic) trying to dissuade me or shoehorn my opinion into something that I'm entirely not saying.

I mean, I want to voice my disagreement, but I don't want to deal with hours of having to do random research and deal with posts laden with capslock and screaming. Usually I just end up just not bothering to post as a result, and I imagine I'm not alone.

Aye, I follow closely many threads but post rather infrequently, in part for this reason
Hehehe, I come and go with my mood.  I was raised to think that not voicing your opinion when people disagree with you is cowardly or weak (mostly by movies and books, where characters tend to speak freely unless they're specifically cowardly or anxious).  Usually when I first post my opinion I'm feeling fine, then if someone argues with me every post I make responding to them feels more and more like a chore.

If I'd have any complaint of Bay12, and I'm guilty of this 100%, its that we attract a certain kind of person that makes it hard to post.  Anyone remember that episode of the office where they talked about how Oscar is an "actually" person?  The idea being that two people would be making small talk and he would correct them on the facts, beginning a sentence with "actually, _______".  Our whole forum is details minded people who act like that.  Its kind of annoying having to fact check and edit for grammar a forum post that's going to be buried in a week anyway, especially if the post itself is something innocent like talking about what happened in a game or asking a question.  But then if I look at my own conduct I do that shit all the time.

Its part of our forum culture I guess.  At least I learn something whenever someone tries to talk about plumbing and 3 expert plumbers come out of the woodwork to correct them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16760 on: January 26, 2018, 04:19:55 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty weird, but honestly it is very nice usually. I think the only thing that I don't like is that the majority of posts are made by a small number of posters. Oddly enough it relates somewhat to the current discussion in that the pressure of the environment, not an actual forum guideline/law, is what dictates conduct

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16761 on: January 26, 2018, 07:25:04 pm »

Its part of our forum culture I guess.  At least I learn something whenever someone tries to talk about plumbing and 3 expert plumbers come out of the woodwork to correct them.

Actually, plumbers work with pipes, not wood.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16762 on: January 26, 2018, 08:02:05 pm »

Actually my housemate's uncle is a plumber, and recently had to install cork valves for someone with a plastic allergy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16763 on: January 26, 2018, 08:04:07 pm »

Or to put it another way, lucky plumbers work with pipes, not wood. Unlucky ones deal with more than pvc, copper, or lead. Or whatever, depending on how much of an atrocity the original installation got away with, or how much of one their boss currently is trying to get away with.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16764 on: January 26, 2018, 08:13:34 pm »

I'm not a plumber, but I'm making this post to explain how I think you're wrong anyway, based on my experience pretending to be a plumber in videogames.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16765 on: January 26, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »

Mario used to be called Jumpman, and Jumpman was a carpenter.

Checkmate atheists.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16766 on: January 26, 2018, 08:27:37 pm »

And Pacman used to be called Puckman, but he was renamed because of a Political Action Committee.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16767 on: January 26, 2018, 08:47:57 pm »

Little is it known that Bomberman went through several names, such as Ted and Tim, before it was decided best to leave him without a real name.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:56:55 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16768 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:22 pm »

And Pacman used to be called Puckman, but he was renamed because of a Political Action Committee.

LOL, PAC man takes on a whole new meaning when you substitute "digital wafers" and "Power pellets", with "Campaign finance", and "Political office", then view the "ghosts" in a more immaterial sense as the skeletons they keep in the closet (at the center of the maze).

I wonder if Midway games would sue if a parody like that was released.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16769 on: January 26, 2018, 10:37:00 pm »

LOL, PAC man takes on a whole new meaning when you substitute "digital wafers" and "Power pellets", with "Campaign finance", and "Political office", then view the "ghosts" in a more immaterial sense as the skeletons they keep in the closet (at the center of the maze).

I wonder if Midway games would sue if a parody like that was released.
Midway may not, but Trump might try to fire you. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 3566