Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4208881 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Trump at Davos
« Reply #16710 on: January 25, 2018, 04:03:13 pm »

Quote from: Steve Bannon, 2021 inauguration speech
And as your President, I shall strike back against the meddling of the leftist European scum who dare to interfere in American affairs and American blood. As I speak, missile strikes are being carried out against the Dutch traitors to white Christian civilization! We shall crush them like the cockroaches they are!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16711 on: January 25, 2018, 04:09:29 pm »

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: January 25, 2018, 05:53:53 pm »

https://www.volkskrant.nl/media/dutch-agencies-provide-crucial-intel-about-russia-s-interference-in-us-elections~a4561913/

If Trump gets impeached don't forget to thank us
The last sentence in that article implies the website released this info without the Dutch government's blessing.

Still, if it filters into the American political discussion I'll be glad they did.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16713 on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:57 pm »

https://www.volkskrant.nl/media/dutch-agencies-provide-crucial-intel-about-russia-s-interference-in-us-elections~a4561913/

Still, if it filters into the American political discussion I'll be glad they did.
lol it's dutch

The last time something filtered out of that region, we called them french fries:P

But more seriously, I foresee many people seriously suggesting that MSH's post be not-a-joke. Most of the right wing is convinced Europe has been consumed in the fires of feminism and has become a raping ground for muslim immigrants, so they won't listen to a Dutch paper.

It might effect the investigation but public opinion won't be swayed.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16714 on: January 25, 2018, 11:25:13 pm »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16715 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:07 am »

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/

nifty map. gerrymandering made easy.
One can actually make Georgia a swing state.

But flyover country, flyover country never changes (unless the computer tries to make everybody's districts compact... And even then it's still red).
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16716 on: January 26, 2018, 01:03:11 am »

Living in flyover country, I can comment on this.

A good deal of why we are so heavily brainwashed here is because the GOP at least makes some token effort at outreach, even if it is just to spread more FUD. Here in Kansas, (which is like the very definition of a flyover state) there was a surprising groundswell of support for Sanders when he campaigned here, because his message was well received by the local young people. The issue, is that we are "Not important" election wise, and so, we are basically constantly sidelined and ignored by government. This promotes a feeling of abandonment that the GOP preys on, and which they use to always secure this state.

This seems to be the rule rather than the exception in flyover country.  The GOP gets several essentially free electors every presidential election because of this complete lack of attention from the DNC, because they give that token effort, and spread a message that resonates with local perceptions.  It is hard to explain how the GOP is lieing, when the DNC really really does "Not give a fuck" about our states, because we are too poorly populated to be of concern.  You can only ignore a population so long before they start to hold animosity and contempt for those they see as constantly dictating to them and telling to shut the fuck up and like it. Tyranny of the majority is indeed totally a thing, and sadly, so is propaganda.  The GOP is really good at propaganda, even if they suck balls at everything else. It is very hard to point out how the statements made by the GOP are patently false when they dominate the conversation, because the other side never even shows up.

Apparently Sanders agrees.
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/329027-sanders-dems-didnt-do-enough-to-help-candidate-in-kansas-special

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:09:43 am by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16717 on: January 26, 2018, 02:50:42 am »

The last sentence in that article implies the website released this info without the Dutch government's blessing.
They don't need to, we have independent media. Snowden's leaks wouldn't even be a crime here, he'd probably have gotten a few yearly journalism prizes.
It's the US that's censorship crazy like that.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16718 on: January 26, 2018, 02:57:18 am »

That's because the US has crony politics, where the name of the game is to abuse the system as much as possible, use the law as a weapon and a shield to prevent being accountable, and then demonize, dehumanize, and legally terrorize anyone and everyone that would expose the horrible dirty truth.

Because we keep electing people that do that, believing that their cleverness in abusing the system is somehow indicative that they are fit for the job, because of how clever they are, or something.

The US has not had an independent media since the 40s.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16719 on: January 26, 2018, 03:04:25 am »

The US has not had an independent media since the 40s.

Oh, is that why Nixon served out his entire term in office, and nobody questions the wars in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan?

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16720 on: January 26, 2018, 03:06:08 am »

No, it is why the paper that did publish it was in fear for its survival, and why they made a movie about it.

Because THIS
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/reader-center/history-of-pentagon-papers.html

Would not be a headline if there were not flagrant and massive active censorship. Which is exactly what Martinuzz is talking about.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:08:43 am by wierd »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16721 on: January 26, 2018, 03:09:39 am »

If there was no independent media, the story would have been quashed the second somebody started working on it.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16722 on: January 26, 2018, 03:11:28 am »

Read the article.

The US government silenced them on day 2 of the publication. They were only able to continue because of the supreme court victory in their favor. That means active censorship WAS in effect.  It still is, in the form of less direct actions.

Quote from: From article, second paragraph
We published three articles over a period of two days before a federal court ordered us to stop. On July 1, 1971, we resumed publication after winning a landmark Supreme Court decision.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:14:02 am by wierd »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16723 on: January 26, 2018, 03:14:58 am »

You. Are. Missing. The. Point.

If there was no independent media, the editorial staff of the newspaper would have crushed any reporter who tried to work on such a story. If that somehow didn't happen, when the government called and ordered them to cease, they would have obeyed without complaint. The very existence of that court case proves that an independent media exists.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16724 on: January 26, 2018, 03:17:46 am »

You. Are. Missing. The. Point.

If there was no independent media, the editorial staff of the newspaper would have crushed any reporter who tried to work on such a story. If that somehow didn't happen, when the government called and ordered them to cease, they would have obeyed without complaint. The very existence of that court case proves that an independent media exists.

I suggest you research the history of this publication more closely.  The pentagon papers leak was flatly hushed in all other media and journals of the time. It would never have been released if the Times had not grown a pair and did it anyway.

Again, THAT IS THE WHOLE DAMN PLOT OF THE F*CKING MOVIE THEY RELEASED.
Pages: 1 ... 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 ... 3566