Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4207313 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Government shutdown edition
« Reply #16665 on: January 22, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »

Feels like status quo to me.  The "dems shut down the government over immigrants" and "dems chose immigrants over children" narratives will probably resonate with Republicans.  The "Trump owns the shutdown" and "Mitch McConnell only knows how to obstruct, not how to govern" narratives will likely resonate with democrats.  This incident is open to interpretation so people will fall back on their old biases.

I'm curious what our soldiers think about this, from where I'm sitting it seems like they got the shit end of the deal.  AFAIK all military personal were considered essential, meaning they didn't know when they would be paid next, but they still had to work.  So I imagine a lot of military personal have strong feelings about this.  I don't know what those feelings are or which states have more voting soldiers.  But come 2018 the military vote will likely be effected by this.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16666 on: January 22, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »

Were they paid after all the other half dozen of shutdowns? If so, their reaction was probably "meh".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16667 on: January 22, 2018, 05:07:00 pm »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/government-shutdown-2018-will-the-u-s-military-be-paid/

Only once Congress acts. According to the Department of Defense, the military, along with "essential" civilians, will not be paid until funds are appropriated. Troops will continue to earn their paychecks but won't receive them unless and until a new spending bill that includes backpay is passed.

The 1.3 million uniformed military personnel will still be on duty and national security operations will continue. But paychecks will be further delayed if the shutdown lasts beyond Feb. 1, because pay is issued only twice a month, on the first and the 15th.

Shutdown didn't last long enough to affect much, and none of the military even saw a delay in their check. It's possible congress might refuse to pass a budget that includes 2 days of back pay for those who were on the clock during the shut down... but I really don't think even they would be stupid enough to do that. As it is the pay check which would be missing any pay hasn't been written yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16668 on: January 22, 2018, 05:09:32 pm »

So status quo then.

There was that one senator (being vague because I don't remember) who said at the start of this, "at least this happened on a weekend."  Sounded a little callous at the time, now its looking like he had a point.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16669 on: January 22, 2018, 05:32:11 pm »

It's possible congress might refuse to pass a budget that includes 2 days of back pay for those who were on the clock during the shut down... but I really don't think even they would be stupid enough to do that. As it is the pay check which would be missing any pay hasn't been written yet.
I mean... you'd think, but the GOP already rejected a bill to fund the military through a shutdown once this go around. Still got room for it to happen.

E: Though I guess the question now is what happens in three weeks when it's time for the telegraphed and inevitable betrayal. Can kinda' understand it with six years of chip and a loudly televised promise to actually bringing a daca bill to vote (never mind both should have happened months ago), but at the same time mitch in particular, never mind the rest of the GOP involved, is less trustworthy and consistent than my grandfather's bladder.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:14:31 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16670 on: January 22, 2018, 07:28:17 pm »

It's possible congress might refuse to pass a budget that includes 2 days of back pay for those who were on the clock during the shut down... but I really don't think even they would be stupid enough to do that. As it is the pay check which would be missing any pay hasn't been written yet.
I mean... you'd think, but the GOP already rejected a bill to fund the military through a shutdown once this go around. Still got room for it to happen.

E: Though I guess the question now is what happens in three weeks when it's time for the telegraphed and inevitable betrayal. Can kinda' understand it with six years of chip and a loudly televised promise to actually bringing a daca bill to vote (never mind both should have happened months ago), but at the same time mitch in particular, never mind the rest of the GOP involved, is less trustworthy and consistent than my grandfather's bladder.
Pictured
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #16671 on: January 23, 2018, 11:43:43 am »

Word is that AG Sessions got interviewed by Mueller last week, getting deep into the inner circle.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16672 on: January 23, 2018, 02:18:06 pm »

He's subpoenaing all kinds of folks.

Somebody is getting taken down at the end of this, I tell you hwat. Is this specifically to investigate Trump's administration, or his election practices, or what? I see so much chatter about it from so many different biases it's hard to keep track.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16673 on: January 23, 2018, 02:46:24 pm »

The investigation is to finally uncover the truth about Hillary's emails.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16674 on: January 23, 2018, 03:22:46 pm »

TRIGGERED

It it makes you feel any better, my hard-line super-right buds have stopped talking about her emails, and are now talking about how she is just corrupt. No detail, just corrupt. Like she's a dark jedi or something.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16675 on: January 23, 2018, 03:53:52 pm »

*Technically* the investigation was about whether Russia intervened in the election, with no suggestion that Trump himself was invovled.  But it pretty quickly ballooned out to be about collusion between the Trump team and Russia.  I don't know if they've yet announced that Trump himself is under investigation, but like.  He is.  The writing is on the wall.

Its become pretty clear (since Manafort's arrest, arguably long before that) that Trump's inner circle from the caimpaign is going down from this.  If any of you have been following the NJ bridge scandal, Chris Chrstie's inner circle was found guilty and at least two members served (are serving?) jail time.  But apparently all of Chris Christie's advisors "acted independently and without his knowledge" to do this thing that was his personal grudge.  So I guess they couldn't prove anything.  Mueller's investigation seems increasingly a toss up between that kind of outcome, or another.  In fact I see 3 outcomes for this.

1.  Trump's (old) inner circle and at least one of his family members goes down for this, Trump ends up with an understaffed WH but otherwise fine.
2.  Trump is impeached or resigns but faces no criminal charges.
3.  Trump becomes the first president to face serious criminal charges other than impeachment.

IIRC 3 former campaign staffers have already pleaded guilty and we know they got leniency in exchange for dirt on more people.  So there's no outcome for Trump here that's better than number 1.  I guess maybe he could find some way to shield Trump Jr. from legal consequences, but I doubt it.  Some people are beyond saving.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16676 on: January 23, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »

What a devastatingly boring end to the shutdown. But that's probably a good thing, honestly.

TRIGGERED
Channelling mainiac, are we? :P

It it makes you feel any better, my hard-line super-right buds have stopped talking about her emails, and are now talking about how she is just corrupt. No detail, just corrupt. Like she's a dark jedi or something.
Dark Lord Clinton has entered hiding in order to plot her next move. She'll do a dramatic reveal during the season finale, while will be the main conflict of the season following. (She will rip of her mask and reveal herself to have been PUTIN all along!).

*Technically* the investigation was about whether Russia intervened in the election, with no suggestion that Trump himself was invovled.  But it pretty quickly ballooned out to be about collusion between the Trump team and Russia.  I don't know if they've yet announced that Trump himself is under investigation, but like.  He is.  The writing is on the wall.

Its become pretty clear (since Manafort's arrest, arguably long before that) that Trump's inner circle from the caimpaign is going down from this.  If any of you have been following the NJ bridge scandal, Chris Chrstie's inner circle was found guilty and at least two members served (are serving?) jail time.  But apparently all of Chris Christie's advisors "acted independently and without his knowledge" to do this thing that was his personal grudge.  So I guess they couldn't prove anything.  Mueller's investigation seems increasingly a toss up between that kind of outcome, or another.  In fact I see 3 outcomes for this.

1.  Trump's (old) inner circle and at least one of his family members goes down for this, Trump ends up with an understaffed WH but otherwise fine.
2.  Trump is impeached or resigns but faces no criminal charges.
3.  Trump becomes the first president to face serious criminal charges other than impeachment.

IIRC 3 former campaign staffers have already pleaded guilty and we know they got leniency in exchange for dirt on more people.  So there's no outcome for Trump here that's better than number 1.  I guess maybe he could find some way to shield Trump Jr. from legal consequences, but I doubt it.  Some people are beyond saving.
Investigations are long affairs. I'm quite glad its going on, honestly. Lessens my anxiety about everything a bit.

I'd really like to know what ultimately was actually going on behind the scenes as well. And airing it out would probably be great for American Democracy, if painful in the short run.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16678 on: January 24, 2018, 12:58:53 am »

Racketeering is such a strange word. It sounds like they're guilty of making a racket.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16679 on: January 24, 2018, 01:46:42 am »

Racketeering is such a strange word. It sounds like they're guilty of making a racket.

I always associate it with playing racket ball while flying a rocket pack.
Pages: 1 ... 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 ... 3566