Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204679 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Government shutdown looming Friday
« Reply #16590 on: January 19, 2018, 02:18:59 pm »

While Trump is focused on the shutdown, he's facing a looming potential diplomatic crisis with Turkey as they're about to begin attacking a Syrian-Kurdish town, and the Kurds are our allies over there.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16591 on: January 19, 2018, 02:22:09 pm »

https://twitter.com/ToddDracula/status/954410865993879558

"Babies are being born from their mothers womb... in the 9th month... it is wrong... and it has to change."

Well ok mr pediatrician, don't keep us in suspense, exactly how would you change this? Premature c-section only?

Perhaps mandatory abortions, think of it, a world without children, future generations will thank us.

Edit: god what a fucking dumbfuck...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:30:53 pm by Max™ »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16592 on: January 19, 2018, 02:49:36 pm »

How are they even nearing a shutdown while the republicans control the president, the house AND the senate?
Because the republicans can't control the president
FTFY

Not that Trump is the reason for this, the freedom caucus was going to be a problem either way.  Remember, the tea party movement formed shortly after Obama took office.  The new wave of Republicans in congress that came from the tea party have no experience being the majority government.  The freedom caucus is basically two years old subsection of the tea party.  Even if an oldstyle presentable economic issues Republican candidate took office, neither the freedom caucus nor the moderate Republicans have enough votes to legislate without the other's support.  That was always going to be a problem.  The moderate republicans know how to compromise with their own party but the freedom caucus has no credentials when it comes to actually getting shit done.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16593 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »

They are also a product of pure contrarianism. They were elected to prevent governance, not to govern. Most people who voted for them probably expected that they'd work together to enact policy once Obama was gone, but that was an unlikely result from candidates who's main qualification was "does not play well with others".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16594 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:16 pm »

"Babies are being born from their mothers womb... in the 9th month... it is wrong... and it has to change."
Significant gaff, yeah.  Since so many people were claiming "edited at 3 seconds!", or more reasonably that it was taken out of context, this article has a clip from ABC that's a little longer:
https://www.thewrap.com/trump-demands-babies-stop-being-born-after-nine-months/

But yeah, he words not in the right place

More importantly, I *think* his intention was to say that many states allow abortions at 9 months.  Which uh...  is probably technically true, if the fetus isn't viable at that point.  In other words, insultingly misleading rhetoric.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16595 on: January 19, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »

They certainly want to govern, just that it's the 'my way or the highway' style of governing. The fact that some of them are Senators as well means that the same faction exists in both chambers of Congress.

Hopefully the Democrat wave of 2018 (and possibly 2020, if history is any guide) doesn't include many of the type who have the same 'my way or the highway' mentality. Though obviously they're already challenged by the fact that it's an election year, some have their own 2020 Presidential ambitions, and that Clinton wing - Sanders Wing split will certainly reassert itself when the Democrats are in power.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:10:50 pm by smjjames »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16596 on: January 19, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »

Its not just "my way or the highway" thinking, in this case "my way" can be "not governing".  Some of the freedom caucus members are libertarians.  Libertarians are a varied lot but the general thrust of the movement is that the government should be much smaller than it is now.  Like, its common among libertarians to say things like "all the government should do is protect us from outside harm."  Plenty of libertarians would be OK with the idea of a government that's nothing more than a Japan style defensive military, a transportation department, and a service for collecting taxes.  And those second two are optional.

Maybe those views are way further right than the average libertarian, I dunno.  But the freedom caucus itself is far-right so I think its a fair characterization.  Everyone else is working on their tax plan and the freedom party is sitting around like "but do we really need taxes?  Do we really need the CDC?"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16597 on: January 19, 2018, 04:03:32 pm »

Every time someone mentions the CDC all I can think about is how good those scrambled eggs looked in Walking Dead.

They are also a product of pure contrarianism. They were elected to prevent governance, not to govern. Most people who voted for them probably expected that they'd work together to enact policy once Obama was gone, but that was an unlikely result from candidates who's main qualification was "does not play well with others".

I think this neatly sums up the relative confusion from the right at present.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16598 on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »

Significant gaff, yeah.  Since so many people were claiming "edited at 3 seconds!", or more reasonably that it was taken out of context, this article has a clip from ABC that's a little longer:
https://www.thewrap.com/trump-demands-babies-stop-being-born-after-nine-months/

But yeah, he words not in the right place

More importantly, I *think* his intention was to say that many states allow abortions at 9 months.  Which uh...  is probably technically true, if the fetus isn't viable at that point.  In other words, insultingly misleading rhetoric.

Thanks for the link!
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16600 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:08 pm »

To be fair, Trump is the first President to use twitter in the way he has while President. Obama did use twitter but was pretty restrained.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16601 on: January 19, 2018, 05:23:11 pm »

Republicans: This is all your fucking fault, if you'd just done what I told you to we'd be fine now!

Democrats: My fault? You shit all over the controls and tried to throw me out the emergency exit!

Republicans: You made me! By being such an insufferable cuck, you cuck!

Democrats: Wait. If you're here. And I'm here. Then who's flying the government?

-Both Pause-

Both: OOOHHH NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Exit Stage Down
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16602 on: January 19, 2018, 05:44:00 pm »

Republicans: This is all your fucking fault, if you'd just done what I told you to we'd be fine now!

Democrats: My fault? You shit all over the controls and tried to throw me out the emergency exit!

Republicans: You made me! By being such an insufferable cuck, you cuck!

Democrats: Wait. If you're here. And I'm here. Then who's flying the government?

-Both Pause-

Both: OOOHHH NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Exit Stage Down
Record scratch

Pan to American voter sitting in the passenger seat

American voter: Yep that's me. You might be wondering how I got in this situation.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16603 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:33 pm »

DACA was popular and Trump's surprise repeal was unpopular.  CHIP is an already existing healthcare program for children.  The dems aren't exactly kicking and screaming here.  They're asking for literally nothing except damage control for damage that the Republicans themselves did; its an almost symbolic gesture of resistance.  And in return they're offering to relieve the pressure off yet another looming deadline so Republicans can go back to their legislative goals, goals the democrats themselves hate.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16604 on: January 19, 2018, 08:11:59 pm »

To be fair, Trump is the first President to use twitter in the way he has while President. Obama did use twitter but was pretty restrained.

Twitter basically didn't exist before Obama... Yes, technically it was created in 2006, but it wasn't until 2007 that it really gained any sort of public presence and 2008 before it became popular outside of tech circles. George W. Bush could have potentially tweeted as president, but by the time anyone realized it was a "thing" he was basically packing his stuff to leave the White House..
Pages: 1 ... 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 ... 3566