Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204519 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Government shutdown looming Friday
« Reply #16560 on: January 18, 2018, 12:53:56 pm »

As per usual, both sides are not mirrors of one another. The Democrats have little choice but to play hardball when the Republicans only engage in "bipartisanship" as a way to have control of the government when they don't have control of the government.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16561 on: January 18, 2018, 01:04:51 pm »

I know they aren't mirrors of each other, but it has definetly been actions by both sides over time that led to this habit of not doing a proper budget.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16562 on: January 18, 2018, 01:08:44 pm »

More than that, the dems've already proposed a bipartisan budget and expressed willingness to hash things out if the GOP is willing to come to the table with even a facsimile of good faith. The response has appeared to be a "fuck you" followed by persistently fornicating themselves.

Can't recall any shutdown risk in my lifetime that wasn't driven by republican bullshittery either more than anything or outright entirely. Hell, last I heard the primary reason we're looking at this shit at all this time is because the GOP can't even manage internal consensus after kicking the can down the road for... how long has it been, now? Most of this administration to date? Longer?

If there's blame to be placed on the dems for this crap, it's about as much as you place on a pedestrian for getting mowed over by a drunk running a red light at 20+ mph over the speed limit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16563 on: January 18, 2018, 01:25:48 pm »

Most of the adminstration to date, yeah, started with one in April or so, then they started punting it on a monthly basis in September.

They're going to punt it to February and in all likelyhood will then punt it to March, where a debt ceiling limit/cliff is supposed to lurk somewhere within. Punting it like that can't be good for the country and it really highlights the dysfunction. Some of the Republicans are even getting tired of doing these CRs, so, the proverbial camels back is going to break at some point.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16564 on: January 18, 2018, 01:41:49 pm »

*Insert history of Rs playing chicken with budget in previous administration.*
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16565 on: January 18, 2018, 01:48:23 pm »

*Insert history of Rs playing chicken with budget in previous administration.*

Eventually they won't blink until it's too late. That's the problem with playing chicken with the debt ceiling, what if neither side blinks? I know nobody actually wants to go default, but in this political climate, neither side backing down or being unable to come to a consensus is so very possible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16566 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:29 pm »

Debt ceiling's more of a problem, but it's "just" government shutdown on the table at the mo', iirc. Effects of that is something of a question, but the answer mostly boils down to how long it lasts and who gets blamed (generally whoever has the presidency, followed by whoever has congressional majority, and wouldn't you know...). The country's largest single employer mostly not being able to pay employees certainly has just a wee titch of political effect, heh, that gets less wee titchy the longer it goes on.

... also you only wished no one wants the US to default. There's a few congresscritters that've been open and to all appearances sincere about wanting it to happen, if I'm not misremembering.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16567 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:08 pm »

Nobody reasonable anyway. I know theres a few like Ted Cruz and the various debt hawks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16568 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:27 pm »

The dissenters tend to only really be open about it when they know they're not going to win re-election against a more orthodox primary challenger though (see current events).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16569 on: January 18, 2018, 04:49:47 pm »

... also you only wished no one wants the US to default. There's a few congresscritters that've been open and to all appearances sincere about wanting it to happen, if I'm not misremembering.
I can't find the Parks and Rec quote about slitting the throat of the federal government, so I'll have to settle for this.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16570 on: January 18, 2018, 06:03:56 pm »

Oh hey, looks like the transcript of another fusion gps interview's been released. This time with the house intel committee. 31 meg pdf for the main one, with a smaller one that looked vaguely like simpson's lawyers bludgeoning the committee into better behavior. Wish I had more familiarity with this stuff, so I could tell if the latter actually looked as much like something able to catch arson charges as it seemed.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16571 on: January 18, 2018, 06:42:10 pm »

Oh hey, looks like the transcript of another fusion gps interview's been released. This time with the house intel committee. 31 meg pdf for the main one, with a smaller one that looked vaguely like simpson's lawyers bludgeoning the committee into better behavior. Wish I had more familiarity with this stuff, so I could tell if the latter actually looked as much like something able to catch arson charges as it seemed.

At least one allegation has already come up that the Trump Organization may have done money laundering (knowingly or unknowingly) with Russian individuals or some sort of crime may have been happening. It's just allegations though and a hypothetical, he didn't divulge any sort of proof.

edit: In reading the document, it could be partially based on his work in journalism covering crime and corruption in the former Soviet Union. It still sounds like he had a suspicion of something but had no proof. If anybody is going to know more or be able to find out more regarding those allegations, it'd be Muellers team.

edit3: Looks a lot like he was seeing a lot of shady stuff with the Russian mob.

Meanwhile, the Republicans are saying that right now they don't have the votes to avoid a shutdown, and they're doing that vote soonish.

edit2: It passed the House, now it's on to the Senate where it doesn't look like they'd have the votes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:41:21 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16572 on: January 18, 2018, 08:17:07 pm »

A shutdown would be good, right, because then the feds wouldn't get paid to go hunt weed smokers?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16573 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:56 pm »

It will probably make some interesting times for me.  Customs doesn't completely shut down, but in the past it's still led to some weird problems at work.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16574 on: January 18, 2018, 08:20:20 pm »

A shutdown would be good, right, because then the feds wouldn't get paid to go hunt weed smokers?

That and our country's lending rating going in the shitter and the basic mechanics of government locking up. But that's a small price to pay I suppose?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 3566