Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4195990 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Christmastime!
« Reply #16020 on: December 29, 2017, 01:30:26 pm »

If I'm not mistaken the gov can bring charges for slander if you can prove damages from it. Since that generally means that you are trying to prove real damages from hearsay of a hearsay etc etc, it's almost impossible to prove and therefore the charge isn't usually brought.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: December 29, 2017, 01:46:55 pm »

So... seeing as how Roy Moore was favourite for the election, he could bring slander (and presumably libel) charges against the women and publications that said/printed the “lies” they were spreading about him?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: December 29, 2017, 01:57:16 pm »

And as a controversial public figure, the standards of both of those things are going to be raised substantially. If you go around putting up flyers of your neighbor's face calling him a child rapist because he lets his FUCKING BRANCHES grow over your fenceline, that's a lot more harmful and a lot easier to prove malicious. Your neighbor is a nobody and now 100% of their public exposure is as a child rapist. But a politician will probably have some people who believe any particular thing about them. There are surely some people who believe Roy Moore is the reincarnation of John the Baptist who will hail Christ Returned, as there are some who believe he's a child rapist, as there are some who believe he's a Russian agent, as there are some who think he's a good person.

So proving actual maliciousness is pretty much impossible, the only way you could do it is if you had recorded evidence of news executives cackling about how they're going to make sure Roy Moore goes down as a child rapist even though he's just a humble man of god, and his accusers cheering in response.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16023 on: December 29, 2017, 03:13:31 pm »

And as a controversial public figure, the standards of both of those things are going to be raised substantially. If you go around putting up flyers of your neighbor's face calling him a child rapist because he lets his FUCKING BRANCHES grow over your fenceline, that's a lot more harmful and a lot easier to prove malicious. Your neighbor is a nobody and now 100% of their public exposure is as a child rapist. But a politician will probably have some people who believe any particular thing about them. There are surely some people who believe Roy Moore is the reincarnation of John the Baptist who will hail Christ Returned, as there are some who believe he's a child rapist, as there are some who believe he's a Russian agent, as there are some who think he's a good person.

So proving actual maliciousness is pretty much impossible, the only way you could do it is if you had recorded evidence of news executives cackling about how they're going to make sure Roy Moore goes down as a child rapist even though he's just a humble man of god, and his accusers cheering in response.
The West in a nutshell

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: December 29, 2017, 04:05:46 pm »

The West in a nutshell

I kinda miss Tom Green.  He could be brilliant at times.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16025 on: December 29, 2017, 06:36:10 pm »

I think there is also a clause somewhere in the constitution (or one of the amendments) that makes you immune from charges of slander while in the heat of debate... or something like that.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: December 29, 2017, 07:32:46 pm »

I think there is also a clause somewhere in the constitution (or one of the amendments) that makes you immune from charges of slander while in the heat of debate... or something like that.

I really doubt that's actually a thing, maybe you're thinking of the 5th? That's completely different.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: December 30, 2017, 12:10:22 am »

I really doubt that's actually a thing, maybe you're thinking of the 5th? That's completely different.

There's a sometimes held rule that things said in the course of litigation (i.e. in a court setting) can't be used as part of a defamation case. That might be what's being thought of. There's very little to go on other than a few supreme court rulings with regards to defamation on the federal level. So you'd need to go to Alabama laws and precedent.

In Alabama there are defamation laws, but for people in the public eye, they're pretty strict. Moore would have to prove that the women are lying and that the lying is on purpose and with malice. Not impossible, if the proper evidence can be found. But not easy after such a time period has passed.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: December 30, 2017, 12:22:31 am »

So let me ask the obvious question: Could the Dreamers now sue Comey?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16029 on: December 30, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »

So you guys know about swatting rite
Well swatting is fucked up and happens hundreds of times every year internationally, but for possibly the first time an innocent dude has died over it

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: December 30, 2017, 12:59:28 pm »

So you guys know about swatting rite
Well swatting is fucked up and happens hundreds of times every year internationally, but for possibly the first time an innocent dude has died over it

I've definetly heard of it, yes, but I don't think it's the first time someone got killed over it.

Seems more WTF thread worthy than politics though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16031 on: December 30, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »

I've definetly heard of it, yes, but I don't think it's the first time someone got killed over it.

Seems more WTF thread worthy than politics though.
Nah, I only say possibly because there may have been an unknown case, but as far as the FBI know, this is the first death

The potentially devastating prank method has in recent years gained particular popularity among players of first-person shooter games such as Call of Duty and the FBI estimates that some 400 cases occur annually. But Thursday's tragic hoax might be the first time anyone has been killed as a consequence.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/unarmed-kan-man-killed-cops-victim-swatting-prank-article-1.3726171

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: December 30, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »

I wonder if the idiot who swatted that guy can be charged with manslaghter.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: December 30, 2017, 01:15:41 pm »

The article does say that if the guys account is accurate, there could be another arrest of the person who commissioned the harrassment.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: December 30, 2017, 01:28:42 pm »

There's also the intended target of the swatting, who provided a false address while daring his opponent to do something with it.  He bears some blame for this as well.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 3566