Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4187035 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress voting on finalized tax 'reform'
« Reply #15825 on: December 19, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »

@sluissa: Since pre-pai was as good as it could get, it makes some sense to lock it in place and try to improve from there.

Pre-pai was hardly as good as it could get. Did nothing to resolve regional monopolies or allow new companies to enter already served markets. Was only effective to the point it was enforced, which it wasn't, even Pre-Trump. It was bare minimum we should expect.

No surprise either: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/gop-net-neutrality-bill-would-allow-paid-fast-lanes-and-preempt-state-laws/

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »

I meant as good as politicians were able to get it. I know it's not the best possible, but a benchmark is still a benchmark.

edit: The whole pre-empt state laws kind of cries "But states rights!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15827 on: December 19, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »

... so apparently the GOP fucked it up again, the house has to re-vote on the tax scam, and whatever the senate was working towards gets put off for another few days. Shutdown's, what, friday or something? Seem to recall that particular pooch screwing is rapidly approaching.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: December 19, 2017, 06:33:41 pm »

I saw something about that, any idea why the House has to vote on it again? Some kind of procedural screwup?

edit: Yep, procedural hiccups. Apparently the title is one of those strange arcane things that violated the byrd rule and whatever procedural hiccup is going on. I don't profess to understand why the title of all things would violate it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:37:10 pm by smjjames »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15829 on: December 19, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »

Good on the democrats.  In one action they establish their own stance and apply pressure to Republican congressmen to break with their party.  Or at the very least if the democrats force a vote the Republicans will be forced to tie down their opinions on an unpopular issue.

Not that I would expect them to *win* but you know.  What you can accomplish as the opposition party in the US is limited.

Re: Alien invasion, not living on planet Earth breaks MAD, so they could just nuke us.  Or in greater likeliness, H-bomb us.  Although I suppose you could look at it the other way, which is not living on Earth would making nuking us vastly more expensive than nuking themselves. Presumably even alien intelligences are still beholden to economics.  And if we assume no FTL travel, it would take years for our light to reach them, and then years * their travel speed / light speed for their weapons to reach us.  So for all they know we would already be extinct or capable of retaliation by the time their WMDs arrived.
Why build stuff when you should just throw a large asteroid.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15830 on: December 19, 2017, 09:39:36 pm »

I saw something about that, any idea why the House has to vote on it again? Some kind of procedural screwup?

edit: Yep, procedural hiccups. Apparently the title is one of those strange arcane things that violated the byrd rule and whatever procedural hiccup is going on. I don't profess to understand why the title of all things would violate it.

From the article:

Those rules generally require that the tax bill’s policies directly affect federal spending and revenue and that the plan doesn’t increase the federal deficit after 10 years

I must be missing something. Isn’t the tax reform s’posed to add $1.4tn to the deficit over 10 years? Are there different deficits?

Also, as per the article, the largest tax change in 30+ years has taken 2 months to sort out and then pass. I foresee no problems occurring because of the lack of time to iron out wrinkles and straighten kinks.

I mean they didn’t even manage to fix procedural issues before bringing it to vote, holy Jesus fuck what else did they miss?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15831 on: December 19, 2017, 10:01:29 pm »

From the article:

Those rules generally require that the tax bill’s policies directly affect federal spending and revenue and that the plan doesn’t increase the federal deficit after 10 years

I must be missing something. Isn’t the tax reform s’posed to add $1.4tn to the deficit over 10 years? Are there different deficits?

Also, as per the article, the largest tax change in 30+ years has taken 2 months to sort out and then pass. I foresee no problems occurring because of the lack of time to iron out wrinkles and straighten kinks.

I mean they didn’t even manage to fix procedural issues before bringing it to vote, holy Jesus fuck what else did they miss?
Likely something really bad. How the hell people can still support them I don't know.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15832 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »

... so apparently the GOP fucked it up again, the house has to re-vote on the tax scam, and whatever the senate was working towards gets put off for another few days. Shutdown's, what, friday or something? Seem to recall that particular pooch screwing is rapidly approaching.
It is exactly Friday, the 22nd. Christmas is the Monday after. They are out of time to continue this fuck up without abandoning it to The 2018 first.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: December 19, 2017, 10:13:24 pm »

It is exactly Friday, the 22nd. Christmas is the Monday after. They are out of time to continue this fuck up without abandoning it to The 2018 first.

And they'll get hell from their consistuents if they skip town and go home while the government is shut down.

It could still happen because the House and Senate are having a fight (what's new?) over Obamacare related payments and some other stuff. Mainly the House Republicans against Senate Republicans, but the Dems are in the fray as well.

The DACA stuff has been (reluctantly on the Dems part) booted to January. Though there may be a continuing resolution which will push the shutdown fight into January. Meanwhile, theres a debt ceiling that's supposed to be looming somewhere between January and June.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15834 on: December 19, 2017, 10:27:13 pm »

Shockingly, it turns out legislating takes a long fucking time when you're trying to pass thousand page bills that redefine our finances.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: December 19, 2017, 10:53:56 pm »

Good on the democrats.  In one action they establish their own stance and apply pressure to Republican congressmen to break with their party.  Or at the very least if the democrats force a vote the Republicans will be forced to tie down their opinions on an unpopular issue.

Not that I would expect them to *win* but you know.  What you can accomplish as the opposition party in the US is limited.

Re: Alien invasion, not living on planet Earth breaks MAD, so they could just nuke us.  Or in greater likeliness, H-bomb us.  Although I suppose you could look at it the other way, which is not living on Earth would making nuking us vastly more expensive than nuking themselves. Presumably even alien intelligences are still beholden to economics.  And if we assume no FTL travel, it would take years for our light to reach them, and then years * their travel speed / light speed for their weapons to reach us.  So for all they know we would already be extinct or capable of retaliation by the time their WMDs arrived.
Why build stuff when you should just throw a large asteroid.
Well....

Though now I'm wondering at what point it would be easier to spend energy simulating a distant star system to arbitrary detail rather than spend energy sending even a tiny probe out there?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:56:02 pm by Max™ »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15836 on: December 19, 2017, 10:55:56 pm »

And yet they did the whole thing within a few months when it usually takes a year or more.

Looks like they're going to do a continuing resolution. Sounds like they've removed stuff that wouldn't pass the Senate, but.... I wouldn't count out the Senate objecting to something in there (I think they need to get 60 votes for this one) and have it not pass.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15837 on: December 20, 2017, 12:21:10 am »

Are there actually republicans on the street that object to the disaster relief spending?  I feel like maybe if it was a blue state, but its Texas.  That has to hit home a little even for Republicans from other states.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15838 on: December 20, 2017, 12:24:44 am »

I seem to recall a certain incident where Republican politicians were calling for letting New York and New Jersey languish after Hurricane Sandy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15839 on: December 20, 2017, 12:35:03 am »

Re: Shooting at alien scout ships

Bad idea.  Presumably the aliens have FTL of some sort (Or they are **REALLY** dedicated to their mission; enough so that they are willing to devote entire generations of their people to them--- OR at least, a big chunk of a very long lifespan) which means that if you piss them off, all they have to do to wipe us out is fly a scout ship out of our atmosphere, put it on auto pilot, engage the FTL, and ram it into the planet.  Goodbye all life more complex that microbes.  If you really do see an alien spaceship?  Realize that as an ant, you DONT want to attract the attention of the bored little kid with the magnifying glass, or the fire crackers.  'Nuff said.

Re: Net-Neutrality

What we need is lasting, wide sweeping classification of all information services as title II, with all that entails, including the requirement to not degrade competing services.  I dont care if it is cellular, landline, fiber optic, or futuristic subspace fucking radio. Monopolisitic business capture of the regulatory system is disastrous. Just look at this clusterfuck from Pai being the FCC chair. ( I am totally *SURE* that Verizon is not somewhere with their hand up Pai's ass! Honest! His being a former board member is PUUUUURRRE coincidence considering what he is pushing!)  Schumer's plan at least staunches the bloodletting, but it does nothing to stop the crazed surgeon from trying to operate again.

Re:  Tax plan "hiccups"

At this point I think a government shutdown would be preferable to letting that miscarriage of integrity actually become law.
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 3566