Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4187109 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15810 on: December 19, 2017, 12:54:06 pm »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/after-firestorm-cdc-director-says-terms-like-science-based-are-not-banned/

Oh, look. Once again the left overreacts to something. Boy Who Cried Wolf much?

So basically they're saying either don't use these words or we'll cut your budget, which is essentially the same thing as a ban. Not sure there's much overreaction going on here.

No, it's more like "Here's the proper etiquette to use around politicians." You're asking them for money, you'll probably get it either way as long as you're not a complete asshole, but things will go much smoother if you just say "please and thank you".
It's less etiquette and more "Senator Snowflake gets triggered by words like 'vulnerable' and 'fetus'".

And sorry, but using ACA is absolutely the proper route in a government document. Alphabet soup is a problem, but you don't use popular slang for something when that document is a very specific request for budget authorization.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress voting on finalized tax 'reform'
« Reply #15811 on: December 19, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »

I guess RedKing has a point there, since popular slang can be imprecise and might vary some from person to person. The whole thing does smack of the 'snowflakeness' that conservatives like to stereotype liberals as being.

Anyways, the finalized tax 'reform' passed the House (with 12 Republicans joining the Dems in the 'no' vote), the Senate is supposed to do it either later today or tomorrow.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: December 19, 2017, 02:56:23 pm »

I keep hoping those UFO rumors are true, and they're just waiting to renact the scene in Independence Day where they blast the White House and Capitol to ashes. At least the Harvesters were egalitarian in they killed everybody equally.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: December 19, 2017, 03:02:54 pm »

Eh, if aliens wanted to invade, they'd have done it already.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15814 on: December 19, 2017, 03:27:03 pm »

Space is big, could easily have taken 60+ years for a message for reinforcements to travel there and for them to get here. Might not be a bad idea to expect them any day now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: December 19, 2017, 03:31:31 pm »

Aliens are much like the apocalypse, really. Always next year, and I don't what you're saying I wasn't wrong I just got the date wrong.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: December 19, 2017, 03:44:13 pm »

Maybe those fighter pilots who were seeing those really oughta try shooting them down, just to see if it works.

Anyways, what was the period of time between Kansas trying a similar thing and their economy tanking? I also wonder how prevalent or debunked the whole trickle-down theory thing is in Europe and elsewhere. Don't know of a case where the trickle-down stuff worked.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15817 on: December 19, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »

hey, trickle down works. Just, it does exactly what the name says, whoever is down gets only a trickle.
It is not called river down or flood down or anything like that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: December 19, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »

Maybe those fighter pilots who were seeing those really oughta try shooting them down, just to see if it works.
Humanity at its most basic: Hey, look at that weird thing! Let's try to kill it!  :P

Anyways, what was the period of time between Kansas trying a similar thing and their economy tanking? I also wonder how prevalent or debunked the whole trickle-down theory thing is in Europe and elsewhere. Don't know of a case where the trickle-down stuff worked.
Roughly four years in the case of Kansas. The big tax overhaul passed in 2012, and by 2016 there's all sorts of articles about how Kansas was hemorrhaging money. But hey, Koch Industries got a nice windfall.

Mind you, the Republican Party has been infatuated with trickle-down economics since at least the late 1800s. Despite numerous analyses and case studies over the last 100+ years indicating that it doesn't drive economic growth and certainly doesn't drive growth for the working class.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:03:39 pm by RedKing »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15819 on: December 19, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »

Humanity at its most basic: Hey, look at that weird thing! Let's try to kill it!  :P
Look man, sometimes the only stick you have on hand is air to air missiles and/or more traditional heaps of flying metal. I'm pretty sure accelerating a stick fast enough to hit one of the things wouldn't make a substantial difference in regards to provocation.

... that said, the thought of military jets getting installed with lumber launchers for purposes of poking UFOs with a mostly literal stick is fairly amusing. Bonus points it'd probably be decently effective for ground support operations. If furry midgets can manage to take out AT-STs with logs on ropes surely launching them from a mach whatever jet at a building would do just fine, right? There's nothing wrong with that logic whatsoever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15820 on: December 19, 2017, 04:35:02 pm »

Look man, sometimes the only stick you have on hand is air to air missiles and/or more traditional heaps of flying metal. I'm pretty sure accelerating a stick fast enough to hit one of the things wouldn't make a substantial difference in regards to provocation.

... that said, the thought of military jets getting installed with lumber launchers for purposes of poking UFOs with a mostly literal stick is fairly amusing. Bonus points it'd probably be decently effective for ground support operations. If furry midgets can manage to take out AT-STs with logs on ropes surely launching them from a mach whatever jet at a building would do just fine, right? There's nothing wrong with that logic whatsoever.

Slightly off topic... but something just clicked in my mind. Those Ewok's traps must have taken days... weeks to set up even. And they were set up in the area RIGHT around the entrance to the base under the Scout Trooper's noses, tailored specifically to defeat the forces that were there and brutal in their efficiency.

Combine that with the fact that when the Rebel party were originally caught and before C3P-O did his god impression, they were about to cook and eat Han, Luke and Chewie...

Those Ewoks were god damned monsters, stealthy, violent, effective, and strategic geniuses to work with what they had. It can only be assumed that had the Rebels not shown up, the Empire's forces on the moon there would have been attacked anyway in the coming days and been killed, cooked and eaten.

...I never even considered it in that light... and makes me feel completely different about the minimal casualties they took in the battle.

In other news:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/there-will-be-a-senate-vote-to-reinstate-net-neutrality-schumer-says/

This honestly scares me more. Republicans are apparently preparing their own bill to replace NN with something weaker, while Schumer just wants to go back to status quo. As much as I hated the FCC vote, enshrining it into law is so much more permanent. Even just rolling back to pre-Pai doesn't necessarily protect much.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: December 19, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »

Perhaps they came to invade, looked around, felt sorry for us, and left.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: December 19, 2017, 05:09:00 pm »

Good on the democrats.  In one action they establish their own stance and apply pressure to Republican congressmen to break with their party.  Or at the very least if the democrats force a vote the Republicans will be forced to tie down their opinions on an unpopular issue.

Not that I would expect them to *win* but you know.  What you can accomplish as the opposition party in the US is limited.

Re: Alien invasion, not living on planet Earth breaks MAD, so they could just nuke us.  Or in greater likeliness, H-bomb us.  Although I suppose you could look at it the other way, which is not living on Earth would making nuking us vastly more expensive than nuking themselves. Presumably even alien intelligences are still beholden to economics.  And if we assume no FTL travel, it would take years for our light to reach them, and then years * their travel speed / light speed for their weapons to reach us.  So for all they know we would already be extinct or capable of retaliation by the time their WMDs arrived.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: December 19, 2017, 05:11:49 pm »

Good on the democrats.  In one action they establish their own stance and apply pressure to Republican congressmen to break with their party.  Or at the very least if the democrats force a vote the Republicans will be forced to tie down their opinions on an unpopular issue.

Not that I would expect them to *win* but you know.  What you can accomplish as the opposition party in the US is limited.

Re: Alien invasion, not living on planet Earth breaks MAD, so they could just nuke us.  Or in greater likeliness, H-bomb us.  Although I suppose you could look at it the other way, which is not living on Earth would making nuking us vastly more expensive than nuking themselves. Presumably even alien intelligences are still beholden to economics.  And if we assume no FTL travel, it would take years for our light to reach them, and then years * their travel speed / light speed for their weapons to reach us.  So for all they know we would already be extinct or capable of retaliation by the time their WMDs arrived.
Why build stuff when you should just throw a large asteroid.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: December 19, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »

@sluissa: Since pre-pai was as good as it could get, it makes some sense to lock it in place and try to improve from there.
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 3566