Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4169549 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15390 on: December 07, 2017, 11:30:18 pm »

Yeah, there are indeed plenty of more moderate men's activist groups of various types, but they don't get funding, don't get much press etc etc. e.g. the movement to get more men's shelters going. it's an existing movement, there is evidence it's needed, but it has little political traction. Erin Pizzey, the founder of the women's refuge movement in the 1970s says there was evidence of need right from the start, however when she pushed for men's shelters, she was ex-communicated from the women's movement. So there's been 40 years at least of denying the evidence in this sort of thing.

And then the response as stated, from some feminists is "if it's so bad why don't you start your own movement", but if you do that, you get lumped in with the worst ratbags, or alternatively the response is "don't talk about your issues, they're from patriarchy, so feminism has you covered so shut the f. up until we fix it for you". which is clearly not how reality works. People who don't speak up for themselves don't get their problems fixed by other people. This response makes no more sense than a bunch of men telling women to shut up because "we have you covered".

Another quite odd response from feminists is to attack the few universities which have research into masculinity. The counter-response is "every course is a men's course. so you don't need formal research into it, it's bullshit". Which is basically saying that because "men" have "engineering" we don't need to actually do research into the male gender and how it fits into the world. That's about as insulting as saying we don't need women's studies because you guys have typing, teaching and nursing courses.

"gender studies" courses run by women, about women, are clearly bullshitting if they claim to be about both genders. One gender cannot claim to have a monopoly on the truth or have it that only their perspective matters. This is probably the most fundamental basic criticism of feminism's claims to be a universal critique of gender. How can only the "Yin" of "Yin and Yang" claim to be universal? Clearly, it's just one narrative. That's fine, a single narrative can be 100% accurate in its claims based on its single perspective, however if it's going around claiming that it's the only true narrative from the only true perspective, then that part of the claim is b.s. Things like cultural relativism work both ways: just as a rich white person can't really speak for poor black people, some women in academia can't actually speak as if they know what it's like growing up as a poor white male in the midwest, but they act as if they can completely pigeonhole this person and explain away everything that they've experienced as one-dimensional "male privilege".

EDIT: It's the leftwing version of simplistic theories. e.g. doing the "wage gap" thing where they act as if the average woman earns 75% of what a man does for identical work (a gross simplification) appeals to simplistic answers: "why don't they just pass a law?" In fact the "78 cents in the dollar" wage gap averages out single women without kids (no wage gap) with women with children (who are logically earning far less than 78 cents in the dollar). You can't possibly fix the wage gap without actually fixing the male/female childcare issue (because, it is in fact the entire issue), which is much more complex than just passing a law. It also poses a bit of a conundrum for feminists to support: you need to support fathers both economically and socially, if you really expect them to take time off for kids. Scapegoating / shaming fathers while using populist rhetoric to shift more resources to helping only mothers won't help with the gender imbalance in childcare. Additionally, it's recognized that child raising is one area women have the most say and control over. Equalizing that with men is more than just saying men should do more. With responsibilities come rights, and some of the rights relating to mothers and their children are extremely sacrosanct in our society, no less in feminism: actually giving dads equal responsibilities in childcare instead of merely giving it lip-service means both genders need to give up certain privileges. There's an article here about "rethinking masculinity" to share in childcare: the logic is that men need to change so that they will do childcare duties and that women won't be changed by this. However, they have this reversed. Changing some nappies or doing laundry doesn't challenge male identity whatsoever: men do tasks, nappy changing is just another task. Men don't scorn other men for trying to take care of their children: women are the ones consuming narratives that do that: e.g. all those "useless dad" adverts (e.g. dad changes a nappy and feeds the dog, only to discover that he put a nappy on the dog and fed the baby from the dog's bowl) are targeted at women not men. So you see women defensively laughing at men doing "female" domestic chores. This tells a completely different story, it's women for whom their bond with children is a deep part of their self-concept of what it means to be a woman who are the most defensive about societal shifts in childcare duties towards men.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:43:41 am by Reelya »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #15391 on: December 08, 2017, 02:47:48 am »

We can have all the bad stuff towed out of the environment.
months old but this could have worked better.
thttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgswD4QveU

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15392 on: December 08, 2017, 03:36:35 am »

I take exception to the line of questioning used by the interviewer. It begs the question. (EG, 'because this ship failed, all such ships are inherently unsafe', which is a fallacious position to take.)

If he had done that to me, I would have asserted that like anything designed to be safe, that thing has to have proper maintenance, and even then, the unforseen can still happen.  The purpose of proper engineering is to minimize, not completely remove, such a risk.  The very concept of "Completely safe" is a false concept to hold. Only "Sufficiently safe for nearly all purposes or situations, as long as upkeep is met, and proper use is observed." Instead of asking, "Was that ship safe?" you should ask, "Did its captain and crew operate and maintain that ship safely?" 

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15393 on: December 08, 2017, 06:18:04 am »

@Reelya, how do you feel about the lack of paternity leave in the US? To me, it seems like this is at least important to the issue, based on your argument.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15394 on: December 08, 2017, 07:10:48 am »

I think men should get maternity leave for at least one important reason:

It will put a huge assed nail in the gender wage disparity, as one of the stated reasons for the wage disparity is the huge holes in professional worklives of women compared to men, because of potential maternity leave absences.  If men leave just as many days on average, this will destroy the argument in its damned crib.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15395 on: December 08, 2017, 07:22:35 am »

If it's any indication, the Swedes, who are far ahead of the curve on this stuff, have in fact created paid parental leave that can only be used by the father, and since it's "use it or lose it" thing, most men do in fact take the leave. However, other than that mandatory bit, almost all parental leave in Sweden is still taken by the mother (even though it doesn't have to be).

Basically, if they're still talking about "optional" leave then that basically ensures all of it will be taken by women. Even social conservative parties push optional leave, because it reinforces traditional gender roles just by existing. There's some evidence that the generosity of parental leave is associated with higher gender wage gaps across multiple nations. Because it financially incentives women to take time off work and have more kids: even if it's "available" to men, that's basically bullshit because everyone "knows" it's really for mothers even if anti-discrimination laws mean they have to call it "parental leave" instead of "maternity leave".

Think about it: if you give extra money to people for having kids, naturally they're going to decide to either have more kids, or have kids sooner. And women who have kids sooner statistically have a higher wage gap than those who wait until they're older. While it's nice to incentivize people to start families, you're also degrading one of the key "metrics" that they've chosen to represent gender inequality by doing so. That's why "baby bonuses" and other baby-making incentives are created by conservatives more often than liberals. Racists also love baby-making incentives, because they're honest to goodness local born white babies instead of evil foreigner babies.

e.g. in Australia, we had a conservative government create a "baby bonus" payment which started in 2004, and was given a big increase in 2007. Here's what happened with the wage gap during this period. Note that decades of progress narrowing the gap was eliminated:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:35:33 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15396 on: December 08, 2017, 07:33:36 am »

I would say that if the mother takes it, it is required for the father to take it too.  Aside from professional single mothers, that will resolve most of the issue, because it enforces parity on the majority of circumstances where a mother would take the leave.  Make it carry over to non-married people who have children (with a sensible exception for sperm-donor fathers, otherwise the men would never be able to keep a job!) such that "baby daddy" has to take it as well regardless of marital or relationship status, and we nail almost all of it.

It needs to be compulsory to work, that I agree.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15397 on: December 08, 2017, 09:15:15 am »

It will put a huge assed nail in the gender wage disparity, as one of the stated reasons for the wage disparity is the huge holes in professional worklives of women compared to men, because of potential maternity leave absences.  If men leave just as many days on average, this will destroy the argument in its damned crib.
Biological realities might come to play. A woman might get pregnant again soon enough during post-maternal leave to keep here away as she enters the next one, but a man definitely can build up adjoining (overlapping!) paternal periods. And can do so for many more years (well beyond even even a post-baby-boom/economicaly-necessary shifted-upwards retirement age).

Obviously there'd be separate logistic counters to this, but there's pitfalls for either assuming or ignoring how this goes.

(Not arguing against paternal leave, maternal leave or efforts at pay equalisation, just taking it a step or three further than it may have been considered.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15398 on: December 08, 2017, 10:28:37 am »

Biological realities might come to play. A woman might get pregnant again soon enough during post-maternal leave to keep here away as she enters the next one, but a man definitely can build up adjoining (overlapping!) paternal periods. And can do so for many more years (well beyond even even a post-baby-boom/economicaly-necessary shifted-upwards retirement age).

Obviously there'd be separate logistic counters to this, but there's pitfalls for either assuming or ignoring how this goes.

(Not arguing against paternal leave, maternal leave or efforts at pay equalisation, just taking it a step or three further than it may have been considered.)

I know you're talking about biology, but that sounds a bit sexist, perhaps unintentionally, especially since theres birth control methods.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:33:36 am by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15399 on: December 08, 2017, 10:51:17 am »

*Ignore this, I'm dumb and don't read.*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15400 on: December 08, 2017, 11:59:15 am »

I would say that if the mother takes it, it is required for the father to take it too.  Aside from professional single mothers, that will resolve most of the issue, because it enforces parity on the majority of circumstances where a mother would take the leave.  Make it carry over to non-married people who have children (with a sensible exception for sperm-donor fathers, otherwise the men would never be able to keep a job!) such that "baby daddy" has to take it as well regardless of marital or relationship status, and we nail almost all of it.

It needs to be compulsory to work, that I agree.
I'd agree that new fathers should be given (and required to take) paid paternity leave. Otherwise, it's just leaving the new, exhausted mother to tend to their adorable new poop and vomit factory. Dads got to be getting in on some of that action too.

Now granted, there are going to be instances where the new dad takes advantage of his leave to sit on the couch and smoke weed, but hopefully that means he won't be having any MORE kids after the mom gets done with him.  :P

I actually agree that things like child support and custody laws need to be looked at, because there are inherent problems in how they're written and enforced that affect both sides. Men often struggle to get a fair portion of custodial rights, but women (as the typical primary custodian) often get screwed over by guys not paying the child support. Where I have a problem is that in my experience, the custody/child support issue often becomes a "gateway" issue that leads to guys becoming radicalized into misogynist MRA types. Which is unfortunate as hell, because it's a legit issue.

I've also seen guys that used it to try and find some moral ground for dodging child support, similar to the "sovereign citizen" movement which is just a shitty excuse to try and not pay taxes or to get out of jail.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15401 on: December 08, 2017, 02:20:01 pm »

The "gateway" analogy is pretty good. Weed is only a gateway because of its illegal status putting it into the same circles as harder illegal drugs. Similarly, sweeping real issues under the carpet basically hands them to the radical fringe as recruiting tools. In both cases, the drugs and the issues are then tarred with the same brush as the "harder" stuff that you really want to avoid, which becomes a type of circular logic: since they're associated with the harder stuff then we have to keep suppressing them, right?

EDIT: Also, I'd actually dispute whether full-blown MRAs are actually the majority of men interested in men's rights, at all. It seems like that's comparable to claiming that Trans-exlusionary Radical Feminists are the "typical feminists" rather than a small subset. If you look over the list of issues below, there are more than one or two issues,  all of them are real issues*, plenty of advocacy groups around which are not MRA front groups, and guys like Warren Farrell who is one of the main writers and speakers of the movement started as a card carrying feminist, is quite polite and soft spoken, and still considers himself a feminist. Except now he promotes men's issues. Purely for that he gets death threats and the like. But hey, actually listen to the guy, he's not a monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights_movement

One of the criticisms is this:

Feminist scholars Lise Gotell and Emily Dutton argue that content on the manosphere reveals anti-feminist anti-rape arguments, including that sexual violence is a gender-neutral problem, feminists are responsible for erasing men's experiences of victimization, false allegations are widespread, and that rape culture is a feminist-produced moral panic. They contend it is important to engage [this topic] as there is a real danger that MRA claims could come to define the popular conversation about sexual violence.

sexual violence is a gender-neutral problem
^ Plenty of survey data backs this up. CDC figures and others show that forced intercourse is consistent between men and women at alarminigly identical rates (both 1.1% in 2010, both 1.6% in 2011). Here's an article discussing it, and the raw data as well:
http://time.com/3393442/cdc-rape-numbers/
https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nisvs_report2010-a.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6308a1.htm
Here are CDC's definitions of "rape" (someone illegally stuck something in you) and "being made to penetrate" (someone illegally forced you to stick your thing in them). Read the wording below, they're almost identical in their descriptions, so it was clearly intended to provide an "apples to apples" comparison.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In fact, Mary Koss, the survey's principle author, was seemingly trying to do this to downplay the number of male victims by including the new "being made to penetrate" category. She had said a couple of years prior that she thought that the "rape" category might include some "false positives" that were men forced to penetrate other people, and by separating it out as a unique category she could squeeze the male rape statistic down even further. That sure backfired, because adding in a perfectly fair and clearly worded comparison of equivalent sexual violence between men and women instead resulted in identical statistics, not the "downplaying" of male victims she had expected.

feminists are responsible for erasing men's experiences of victimization
^ Uh, this isn't even open for opinion. They constantly get caught cherry picking victimization surveys to remove the male victimization data. It's just something they do and have kept doing since the 1970s. It's just a fact that they do this, and it's not "society" that did it, it is named feminist scholars caught doing so. e.g. Mary Koss as cited above, and people who cite that study while omitting the male victim data (which they only started collecting because they hoped to downplay male victims - and when that backfired, the fallback scam is to just cherrypick their own data) This one can't really be argued against, because there are a zillion specific examples of it occurring.

false allegations are widespread
Ok, this one is bullshit. However, it's not necessarily the same people spreading this one as commenting on the other, real, issues.

rape culture is a feminist-produced moral panic.
Uh, this one is also clearly a true statement. Feminists make hyper-alarmed statements about a rising rape epidemic, when in fact rape in the USA is the lowest it's been in the history of forever.

Well, out of the four "fake" things men's rights people say she found one thing that was actually false, the others are all blatantly true just from checking a few primary sources and common sense.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:54:50 pm by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15402 on: December 08, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »

The "gateway" analogy is pretty good. Weed is only a gateway because of its illegal status putting it into the same circles as harder illegal drugs. Similarly, sweeping real issues under the carpet basically hands them to the radical fringe as recruiting tools. In both cases, the drugs and the issues are then tarred with the same brush as the "harder" stuff that you really want to avoid, which becomes a type of circular logic: since they're associated with the harder stuff then we have to keep suppressing them, right?
That's an excellent point that I really hadn't considered before. Unfortunately, while weed has tons of proponents, and the vast majority of them aren't just backing it to then open up the conversation to legalizing crack and meth, a lot of these men's issues have a very small, very vocal minority pushing them and typically for what I would consider nefarious reasons.

I suppose the answer is to hope they receive attention and backing from a wider audience, so that society can start having some honest conversations. And yes, there will be backlash from some feminists in that case, just as there is backlash towards marijuana from people whose heart is in the right places (Just say NO, kids!) but whose mentality has gotten a bit militant and defensive about the subject (I would probably lump myself into that group vis a vis "men's rights").

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15403 on: December 08, 2017, 03:19:10 pm »

I personally think that what we need is extremely effective birth control to change the issue itself.  The unfortunate reality is that when accidental pregnancies happen, someone suffers.  If we look at the archetypal "single mother and father paying child support" the hurt is spread around.  The father has to deal with child support payments, which are made worse by how tight the economy is.  The mother has to raise a kid with everything that entails.  The kid only gets one parent and may be put in a position of financial insecurity especially depending on if the father can pay the child support and if its enforced.

The oldstyle way of dealing with this was to simply force the parents to get married.  This similarly spreads the hurt around but doesn't really jive with modern American morality, it also creates a situation ripe for abuse (although less ripe for poverty).  So I don't think going back is an good option here.

But let's say we get rid of child support or amend the laws to make it rarer or less harsh, or optional/bracketed based on income.  Going back to our archetypical single mom/absent father, the mom's now hurting worse, the dad is in a basically neutral situation, but.  The kid is in a terrible place.  The most likely outcome here is probably putting the kid up for adoption, but adoption/foster children is in a lot of ways a way for society to sweep the issue of abandoned children under the rug.  There's just not enough people willing to adopt (and certainly not enough people willing to adopt foster children) that we can look at a child being put up for adoption as anything other than a bad outcome.

This to me gets to the heart of the issue: a kid is a black hole for money and effort.  Economically, you're paying about 18 years of your life and a huge wad of cash for the experience/fulfillment of child rearing, and not everyone wants that experience.  If two people have a kid and neither of them wanted to have a kid, at least two people are putting their shit in the black hole.  It might be the parents, the kid, adoptive parents, society.  Someone is footing the bill.  Its worth talking about who should suffer and how the suffering can be mitigated/split up evenly.  The way I look at it tho, the long term solution is to have birth control so effective and accessible that unwanted pregnancies become almost unheard of.  In *that* environment, we're playing a whole different card game, and I think the issues of child support and such will be much easier to resolve.  For example, a common MRA talking point (which is legitimately terrifying although I suspect not that common) is the woman who wants to get pregnant so she pokes a hole in the condom.  Let's say 20 years from now we have a less invasive, easily reversible vasectomy.  Someone is already working on that, look up vasalgel.  Its not confirmed how easily it can be reversed yet tho.  Anyway, who would even bother poking a hole in a condom then?  Or likewise a male birth control pill.  If both parties are on birth control and you have something like vasalgel and then you have a condom, that's 4 layers of birth control.  5 with the morning after pill.  Basically 0 chance of a pregnancy, and each party has 2 layers of contraceptives that really couldn't be fucked up or sabotaged by the other party.  You wouldn't need that many either, if you're willing to put forth some basic trust.

Course, some people don't want easy access to birth control, because then that opens the door to everyone having recreational sex all the time.  Which... I have a hard time seeing that as a bad thing, to be honest.  If anything that would improve society.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15404 on: December 08, 2017, 03:36:33 pm »

You forgot the best contraceptive of all, being unattractive.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 3564