Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4169727 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15330 on: December 06, 2017, 04:19:21 pm »

We got Trump because he lied out his ass and promised everyone everything they wanted and nobody bothered hearing when he was promising things they didn't want. We got Trump because he was running against the embodiment of corruption in politics. We got Trump because the system is broken and that's what you get when the system is broken. I'm still not sold that Clinton would have been better. At least people have been shocked out of their complacency... if only a little and so far seemingly to no effect.

As a reminder, Trump lost the popular vote, and the significant majority of voters said they did not want him as president. We got Trump because he promised the impossible and the extremely impractical to a small but stupid and gullible portion of the voting base. We got Trump because the only people who were actually enthusiastic about voting for his opponent were feminazi's who cared more about her vagina than her policies. And yes, we got Trump because the Electoral College is stupid and broken.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15331 on: December 06, 2017, 04:21:26 pm »

We got Trump because he lied out his ass and promised everyone everything they wanted and nobody bothered hearing when he was promising things they didn't want. We got Trump because he was running against the embodiment of corruption in politics. We got Trump because the system is broken and that's what you get when the system is broken. I'm still not sold that Clinton would have been better. At least people have been shocked out of their complacency... if only a little and so far seemingly to no effect.

As a reminder, Trump lost the popular vote, and the significant majority of voters said they did not want him as president. We got Trump because he promised the impossible and the extremely impractical to a small but stupid and gullible portion of the voting base. We got Trump because the only people who were actually enthusiastic about voting for his opponent were feminazi's who cared more about her vagina than her policies. And yes, we got Trump because the Electoral College is stupid and broken.

And because the democrats royally fucked up their campaign and their base was guzzling the kool-aid.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: December 06, 2017, 04:24:25 pm »

Looks like Al Franken is going to resign, after a seventh woman came out with accusations, more Democrats called for him to step down and he was absent today from the committees he's usually on. He's going to make an announcement tomorrow sometime.

Uh, I wouldn't call all of those who were enthusiastic about voting for her 'femnazis who only cared more about her vagina than her policies'. Otherwise, you're correct about the lack of enthusiasm, I think I recall the turnout being lower than even that of Bill Clinton or something.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15333 on: December 06, 2017, 04:46:30 pm »

Looks like Al Franken is going to resign, after a seventh woman came out with accusations, more Democrats called for him to step down and he was absent today from the committees he's usually on. He's going to make an announcement tomorrow sometime.

If only he were a republican in Alabama.  Maybe then he would still stand a chance.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15334 on: December 06, 2017, 04:47:58 pm »

As a Michigander I disagree with your assessment of cause. Democrats have wanted infrastructure for a long time but republicans, one of which is the governor, don't want to pay for it although both want it. just because part of the state is blue doesn't mean they have the money. the SE has rather a lot of problems what with the collapse of Detroit and all and it got hit hard by the recession and then bankers were put in control to forcibly extract money form many poor and black communities, "emergency managers" my ass.
First of all I think maybe you misunderstood - I wasn't blaming Democrats or Republicans (although both are easy targets in their own ways). I was blaming the general lack of integrity in terms of facing hard situations.  And it goes back way before the 2008 downturn.

And look at the "recovery" we have now, where a few wealthy real-estate moguls are "investing" in Detroit.  That's only investing in their pocketbooks, not in a true economic sense. It literally is bread and circuses there - restaurants, retail, and entertainment venues. Those things produce no productivity-improving capital; instead they just shuffle wealth around that is produced in other places.  Yes, there is some immediate short-term influx of capital into the area, but it's not productive capital.  Maybe there is hope that industry will return, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it -

And the auto industry is currently riding high on a bubble, there's no way annual sales volumes can be sustained where they are, and that's not even counting the upcoming stuff with ride sharing and the demographic shifts away from personal vehicle ownership.

ALSO because I'm slow to post . . . yeah all the stuff in the news about all those politicians on both sides of the aisle: integrity.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: December 06, 2017, 05:20:12 pm »

Detroit is a particularily nasty mess though.

Confirmed that Sen. Franken will resign tomorrow.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: December 06, 2017, 05:40:35 pm »

So that leaves Rep-elect Kihuen and Rep. Farenthold as members of Congress accused of sexual misconduct without having announced their resignation, if my list is accurate. Soon to be joined by Moore.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: December 06, 2017, 05:58:06 pm »

Yeah, that's about it, though Farenthold has said he'd pay back the taxpayer money that was used in the settlement.

Pretty sure Farenthold is also generally known for making dumb comments, I know he has made some in the past.

Theres also been a bunch of state level politicians who have resigned over sexual harrassment accusations.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15338 on: December 06, 2017, 06:06:20 pm »

If you'll remember he was promising everything to everyone. He was even courting the LGBT community as well as suggesting he'd improve healthcare somehow, was reaching out to other races (other than Mexicans, of course, his only real consistent "enemy" other than the democrats) and probably even offered ponies to everyone at some point. He was literally just saying whatever he thought the relevant people at the time wanted to hear. It wasn't just a small group. He was promising things to everyone, which probably gave just enough people enough hope that he was a reasonable person to get him elected.

EDIT: Also remembered he softened heavily on Mexico when he actually took a trip there and talked with the President. So yeah, basically anyone he was speaking to at the moment, he was trying to placate.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:10:56 pm by sluissa »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15339 on: December 06, 2017, 08:59:22 pm »

He didn’t soften on Mexico after a visit there. He schmoozed their leader and came back and said they were paying for the wall, then Mexican jefe said they didn’t talk about it. Which cements your other point about him saying anything to get what he wants, really.

Also, he has something of a hate-boner for the Muslims as well as Mexicans, to the point he was talking smack about the mother of a dead Muslim soldier not being allowed to talk when the father of same was criticizing him.

I mean the man is like fucking Teflon, the number of times the shit wouldn’t stick to him is unbelievable.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:37 pm »

He didn’t soften on Mexico after a visit there. He schmoozed their leader and came back and said they were paying for the wall, then Mexican jefe said they didn’t talk about it. Which cements your other point about him saying anything to get what he wants, really.

Also, he has something of a hate-boner for the Muslims as well as Mexicans, to the point he was talking smack about the mother of a dead Muslim soldier not being allowed to talk when the father of same was criticizing him.

I mean the man is like fucking Teflon, the number of times the shit wouldn’t stick to him is unbelievable.

I didn't say he softened after. WHILE he was there. When he was in Mexico, standing next to the Mexican President, and surrounded by a bunch of Mexicans, suddenly he shut up and was more or less civil, although still a little short of pleasant, to their faces.

But yes, as for the rest you're right.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15341 on: December 06, 2017, 09:03:29 pm »

If you'll remember he was promising everything to everyone. He was even courting the LGBT community as well as suggesting he'd improve healthcare somehow, was reaching out to other races (other than Mexicans, of course, his only real consistent "enemy" other than the democrats) and probably even offered ponies to everyone at some point. He was literally just saying whatever he thought the relevant people at the time wanted to hear. It wasn't just a small group. He was promising things to everyone, which probably gave just enough people enough hope that he was a reasonable person to get him elected.

EDIT: Also remembered he softened heavily on Mexico when he actually took a trip there and talked with the President. So yeah, basically anyone he was speaking to at the moment, he was trying to placate.
IIRC he was a pretty big contributor to Democrats (including one or both Clintons, IIRC).  He'd love for Democrats, and everybody, to support him!  But he found some nice friends who cheer very loudly whenever he brings up his less-progressive ideas.  They love him, they really love him!  (they love a celebrity being openly if mildly racist and sexist without consequence, then winning the highest office.  Talk about validation.)

He's not actually that bad a guy.  He's probably not even particularly dumb...  Overwhelming pressure can make anyone act emotionally, give in to persuasive manipulators, and maybe seem not most smart all time.

Meanwhile Mike Pence is cool as a damn cucumber.  Knows exactly what he's doing, and has a zealot's confidence that he's righteous.  He's getting his way just fine from behind the throne, but I shudder to think of him taking the reigns post-impeachment.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: December 06, 2017, 09:59:30 pm »

I would be surprised if the impeachment wasn't a package deal, considering the blood in the streets if Pence pardoned Trump ala Ford. There's also the convenient usage of the campaign as the leading excuse, which could easily be used to lump Pence in.

In the case of a Democratic house, the only reason I can think of not to simultaneously remove Pence would be the massive and lasting backlash that could be expected if one party impeached both the president and vice president of the other party, and then replaced them with a congressperson of their choice and party (unless the Dems made a Republican the speaker, but that would obviously be even weirder). Something as extreme as the double impeachment sounds like "road to civil war" territory (not that I'd be against impeaching both).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:01:41 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: December 06, 2017, 10:10:12 pm »

Flipping the Presidency through impeachment? Yeah, the Republican electorate would literally die of anger, and from me taunting them.

Personally, I don't want a full impeachment. The ideal scenario is that the impeachment starts in late 2019 and carries through to the election with Bernie as the Dem nominee. Can you say "clusterfuck"?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15344 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:23 pm »

I would be surprised if the impeachment wasn't a package deal, considering the blood in the streets if Pence pardoned Trump ala Ford. There's also the convenient usage of the campaign as the leading excuse, which could easily be used to lump Pence in.

There's also the likelihood of Pence being, at the very least, complicit to a criminal degree. Depending on what Mueller finds, it could be very difficult to either party to justify removing the one but not the other.

There's also that a President Pence would inherit a country wildly beyond his ability to govern, at least not without his human mask slipping a bit from stress and revealing the roiling vortex of madness and hatred beneath. Republicans could well want him out of the way before he, like Moore, becomes emblematic of "family values" as a whole; they got into this for the bribes, not to make a theocracy.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:24:00 pm by Trekkin »
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 3564