Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196622 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax 'reform'
« Reply #14835 on: November 19, 2017, 06:18:50 pm »

Isn’t Libertarian more leftish? They’re left leaning on some things and right leaning on others but in general they just want the government to minimally exist and not stick its fingers into everything.
First, the USA doesn't have a Left, just Right and RIGHT.

Economic neoliberalism (or, for the Murricans, Libertarianism) is usually associated with the political Right due to being pretty much Capitalism+. Using the Left = Communism, Right = Capitalism 20th Century definition from when Communism vs Capitalism was A Thing, obviously.

Keeping in mind, of course, that the Left-Right means of organizing politics originated in the French Revolution  and thus why the fuck do we even use it at this point, it doesn't even fit the Communism x Capitalism theme because neither of those actually existed at the time.

Fakeedit: Damned ninjas
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14836 on: November 19, 2017, 06:19:02 pm »

US Social Libertarianism (like for example Noam Chomsky) is close to anarchism / anarcho-syndicalism, and generally more left-leaning than right.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14837 on: November 19, 2017, 06:19:28 pm »

American libertarians are basically as close as possible to anarchists/Anarcho capitalists without being quite that level.
As an actual anarchist, let me assure you: not even a little.
Probably more ancap really then traditional anarchist. With minimum government instead of none and fanatically individualistic.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14838 on: November 19, 2017, 06:21:42 pm »

American libertarians are basically as close as possible to anarchists/Anarcho capitalists without being quite that level.
As an actual anarchist, let me assure you: not even a little.
Probably more ancap really then traditional anarchist. With minimum government instead of none and fanatically individualistic.

A lot of them are various flavors of minarchist, yes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14839 on: November 19, 2017, 06:25:30 pm »

Ok, this thread is running fast, but Libertarianism/Neoliberalism is not Anarchocapitalism.

Skipping the finer details because, again, thread is moving...

Neoliberalism (Libertarianism is a dumb word and I'm not using it more than I have to) defends that the Government of a country should not interfere in its own economy... except when the corporations get into trouble or a foreign corp tries to make a move for said country's market. Then the government totally has to step in.

In anarchocapitalism, there is no Government. Everything is made from contracts between individuals (and corporations count as individuals for this). Your house is on fire and you need it put out? Better have contracted a fire insurance or be ready to cough up a bunch of cash to have it put out.

Bias: I am an anarchist and dislike the anarchosufixes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14840 on: November 19, 2017, 06:29:00 pm »

Mainstream US libertarians are incredibly statist. Libertarianism isn't the same thing as neoliberalism, though.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14841 on: November 19, 2017, 06:32:02 pm »

I have clearly lost track of ideologies... ;.;
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14842 on: November 19, 2017, 06:33:06 pm »

Libertarianism and Neoliberalism aren’t even the same thing either Teneb.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14843 on: November 19, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »

I have clearly lost track of ideologies... ;.;

Everyone has. At this point, every possible ideological label out there has been used to smear everyone who isn't defiantly "reclaiming" or "redefining" it from everyone else doing the same thing but with a differently formatted manifesto, because everyone believes they're the only unique snowflake who can't be described by the neat and dismissive labels they're happily creating for everyone else.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14844 on: November 19, 2017, 06:39:51 pm »

Wasnt the ‘if you didn’t pay the fire department or whoever, they wouldn’t put out your burning house’ an actual thing back in the 19th century or something? It had a heck of a lot more to do with corruption and capitalism than anarcho-whatever.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14845 on: November 19, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »

Part of the confusion is that the USA doesn't use the same words for stuff as the rest of the world. Cus Merica!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14846 on: November 19, 2017, 06:43:43 pm »

Part of the confusion is that the USA doesn't use the same words for stuff as the rest of the world. Cus Merica!
That's not even a little bit how it works.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14847 on: November 19, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »

Wasnt the ‘if you didn’t pay the fire department or whoever, they wouldn’t put out your burning house’ an actual thing back in the 19th century or something? It had a heck of a lot more to do with corruption and capitalism than anarcho-whatever.
https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Charcoal_Wednesday

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14848 on: November 19, 2017, 06:52:29 pm »

I've seen a lot of arguments about it and the only conclusion I can draw is that nobody knows what neoliberalism is. Some people will tell you it's Reagan and Thatcher style trickle-down, with "liberal" in this case being the 1800s sense and the idea being it's a revival of minimal-intervention economics. Other people will tell you it's Obama and Clinton center/center-left capitalism, with "liberal" here being the American definition, and the "neo" referring to the idea that this is the hip, modern style of liberalism. I've seen one guy claim it was the recurring thread between Clinton, Reagan, Lincoln, and Genghis Khan. For some reason, people in the former camp avoid the term and use the second definition in a derogatory fashion; people in the second camp seem to either have no real opinion on the topic or have a thing about "reclaiming" the term, usually to refer to their own position in a positive manner. I think the last guy was joking, but you can never be sure.

The split definitely arises from the American definition of "liberal", though. The Clinton definition seems to have arisen from people being unaware of the European definition when they heard the word "neoliberal".
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14849 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:04 pm »

I don’t even know what ‘liberal in the 19th century sense’ is supposed to mean. Also, Genghis Khan, what even?
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 3566